The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Kirk way hotter than old Kirk?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Ensign

Talking New Kirk way hotter than old Kirk?

Some people may disagree here, but I think I'm right on this one.

Shatner was good looking in 1966, most people can agree to that. He had the look that many women in the 60's wanted. I wouldn't say he was ever hot, but I might have thought differently in I had been alive in 1966. Shatner didn't have good abs or pecs. For the most part he did have a flat stomach, until the end of each season when the food caught up with him and his shirt kept showing his bulging belly. So to recap, Shatner was good looking, didn't have a cut body, but had a flat stomach most of the time. Now we move to TMP, the last time Kirk probably actually could have been considered hot by anyone. I only say this because he was still in decent shape, and had a hairy chest. While this isn't popular today, the 70's were the Burt and Dolly days. I would never consider Burt Reynolds in "The Best Little *****house in Texas" to be cute, but many many women did. So Shatner could have been considered hot by the standards of the day.

After that he pulled the James Doohan manuver and became larger and larger with every movie.

Now, we move to Chris Pine. Who like Shatner is good looking. Most people can agree on this. However, I belive he far outclasses Shatner in the looks department. He is obviously in better shape than Shatner was in 1966. Pine has a cut body, has nice abs and decently cut pecs. He isn't to skinny and looks good with scruff on his face. Obviously we haven't seen as much of him, but i think he will continue to be very attractive. This could help when pulling in the female audiance, which Trek has always had issues with. Plus it seems...at least from the trailer that Pine has a nice ... package. Which is always a bonus.

Anton Yelchin is also extremly attractive, and John Cho is still cute as well. Considering Shatner was the only really attractive male in trek this I think could be a good think for pulling in that always ellusive female audiance. At the very least it couldn't hurt it.

To wrap it up I offer a comparison of Shartner and Pine shirtless. Who do you think is better?

Shatner:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x.../5902_0049.jpg

Pine:
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...trailer093.jpg

Let the yelling commence. I know lots of straight dudes aren't going to want to talk about this, but you can at least tell when a man i attractive or not. :-)

-Reece
Old 11-21-2008, 03:52 AM
Ensign

I must say I agree completely....Pine is Fine. Roll on May 09!!
Old 11-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Lieutenant Commander

And I totally agree as well. I have never, ever found Shatner sexy. Good looking, maybe. Sexy, no. Heck, I thought Leonard Nimoy was sexier (well, as Spock anyways). But looking at Chris Pine, well... let's just say that I would gladly jump in bed with him. Yes he does seem to have a nice, cut body but for me it's those hypnotizing blue eyes of his that get me every time...

Funny that you've mentioned Yelchin and Cho but you completely forgot Karl Urban. In case you didn't know, there's a lot of women out there who find him incredibly sexy, going as far back as his days on Xena.

So yeah, this new movie is certainly going to appeal to the female audience in terms of hunky actors. All the main ones have something attractive about them (except for Simon Pegg, IMO, who looks kind of clownish to me). Now if only Paul McGillion had been playing Scotty, it would have been a perfect score....

Last edited by Lady Vaako : 11-21-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Ensign

I did forget about the eyes, which are very important. Shatner did have a good smile as well, which probably helped him some.

Sorry about forgetting Kark Urban, he isn't my type so I guess I never considered him. :-)

-Reece
Old 11-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Let the yelling commence. I know lots of straight dudes aren't going to want to talk about this, but you can at least tell when a man i attractive or not. :-)

-Reece
Lol!

What the heck, why not wade in!! I think the majority of the female (and some male) target audience will agree with the choice of Pine and maybe even some of the other new actors as well.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

I am for casting good actors, not good-looking actors, but as it is not my choice, I will comment anyway. Takei and Nimoy looked hot and for the new cast, I'd agree that Pine is hot as well. But as straight dude, I am not the most qualified to comment on this
Old 11-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Ensign

I certainly think you can have both horatio lol. I do happen to think we have both in this film. I've not seen anything from them that would suggest bad acting.

-Reece
Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Captain

Well, I can agree with one thing: I would definitely have preferred Paul McGillion as Scotty -- not for the looks, although he's a better-lookin' fella -- but because from having watched his work on Stargate: Atlantis, I know he's a damn good actor.

And it doesn't hurt that his Scots' accent is actually real.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Ensign

Well the original accent was fake it only makes since to fake it again. :-)

-Reece
Old 11-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Pine is definitely hot. I think Urban is also very, very hot.

I disagree that the only hot male on the original show was Shatner...Nimoy redefined "sexy" and continues to be the standard by which I judge men. Sadly, Quinto just doesn't measure up. As others have noted, he has a sort of "sweet" quality which is pretty much the antithesis of "hot" in my book.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!