The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Thoughts from a different stardate....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Federation Councillor

Well I suppose taken as part of the overall plot and his character's predicament, then that would be totally correct. Just that in isolation it seems very primitive for the 23rd Century itself.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

I agree about it being very primitive for the 23rd, no way to get around that. On the other hand, it would have seemed very acceptable in the 1960s which couldn't envision anything more advanced... and again, anything more advanced would have undone the concocted plot.

In the end, Pike's predicament had to be more identifiable to the 1960s than the 23rd for dramatic reasons, even at the cost of futurist 'reality'.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Yep, no argument there really!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Having watched the episodes last night, it's rather a neat dramatic 'trick' to have woven those two very different 'shows' together into a two-part story as if it were intended that way.

Heck, who knows, it may well have been the very genesis of the idea of TREK "canon", in the sense that few shows go back and tell their own pre-history in such detail right in the first season.

Perhaps the only way it could have been done better is to have had the chance for Hunter to reprise his role.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Totally, it's very well done all round. Did Hunter get asked to reprise? Or do I remember reading he didn't want to appear under all the accident make-up?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

I believe his wife had a lot to do with Hunter not reprising the role after the "Cage" pilot was filmed -- it may have been a mix of the hours he would have to work in a series, plus I believe her attitude was that such a character/show was "beneath" him.

Having already opted out on the series after the pilot and having it recast from top to bottom, I doubt he'd have returned to play a wheelchair-bound, non-speaking version of the character he'd already left behind.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digginonrand View Post
I hope they don't stick with canon on Pike's wheelchair. He only had two freakin' lights to talk with . . yes and no. Let's hope JJ uses a little imagination to cook him up a better Pikemobile.
Yeah...something like Dr.Stephen Hawkings voice box only with a better voice.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Midshipman

Yes I have watched all of TOS, which is why I asked what happened to Pike, I do remember his reprisal, but it is wrong for the film to start in universe A with Kirk as Captain. I do wonder if this is set in the alternate universe, the one in which he is transported to by transporter malfunction and h is replaced by the evil Kirk in Universe A. So the Kirk in this film could be a nasty piece of work.... Interesting captain.....

Last edited by bigglestribble : 12-08-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling mistake, should be interesting captain.....
Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Maybe the radition made it hard for him to communicate at all maybe more than yes or no was hard for him. I mean as in for some reason higher communications were harder for him to produce at all.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 12-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I look at it like this...

In ever movie that was made based on a different medium, such as movies made about comic book character, the first movie is the one that sets things up.

In Batman (89) and Batman Begins, we get a look at how Bruce Wayne becomes Batman and why. Same with Spiderman and The Hulk, etc, etc.

This movie is giving us some back history to James Kirk and those who were involved with that back story.

Even if you look at canon, Pike was the Captain of the Enterprise, then Kirk took over. In the pilot episode (not "The Cage"), Kirk is already in command. We know of nothing else. Everyone is in place.

This movie, from what I can see, will show Kirk taking over after Pike steps down, or get demoted or whatever happens to make him leave the Enterprise.

If this movie takes place prior to "Where No Man Has Gone Before", how can we say it's not canon?

The movies and television series themselves have consistency flaws. One of the most profound being, in the TNG episode Relics that aired in 1992, Scotty made a comment about Kirk coming to rescue him. In Generations, which was released in 1994, Scotty was present at the incident that supposedly took Kirk's life.

If he knew Kirk was dead, why would he say that? Also, they beamed off the ship while shields were raised.

With that example, how can we truly establish what is canon when canon contradicts itself. This is why I hardly make a fuss about canon. After 40+ years and all the different people who have been involved, there's bound to be a flaw here and there. I personally don't have the time or the desire to keep tabs on all of this.

I do however, have a desire for Star Trek to continue. This coming movie is exactly what the franchise needs for its continued longevity. Apparently, a new series wasn't the answer. Enterprise lasted 4 seasons. Even Voyager went the distance with 7 seasons.

I want to see Captain Pike on the bridge of the Enterprise. I want to see the change of command ceremony. That moment is historical and no one's ever seen it. I want to see it.

We're in uncharted territory. This is what Star Trek is about to me. It's about the exploration, not just of space, but of ourselves. I'm not going to judge this movie on whether or not they're pronouncing Sulu's first name correctly, or if they refer to Uhura as Nyota or Samara. That's not what the movies are about for me.

I deal with details everyday at work and in life. It's nice to just go see a movie and be entertained without picking it apart. You either like it or you don't, I suppose.