The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > TOS Prequel Fiction.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which format would you prefer for a TOS prequel that does not contradict canon?
Teleplay (television episode) 15 62.50%
Screenplay (feature length film) 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Captain

Default TOS Prequel Fiction.

Since it's been asked, and since I said that I'd do it if and when I find the time...

Which would you prefer I write for a TOS prequel? Television episode or feature film?
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Admiral

I'd say, strive for a movie, but don't be disappointed if you end up with an episode.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Commander

I'd be happy for either but a teleplay would suggest a series....
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Captain

Definitely, a pilot could lead to something bigger. There's so much history to explore that was alluded to in TOS but that never appeared onscreen. I'd love to see some great creative stories about that i.e. : what this movie should have been... IMHO.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Definitely television. That's something I could definitely get behind. Having a seperate feature film series could be confusing, in the same sense that Smallville and Superman Returns do not exist in the same universe. Having one on the big screen and one on television helps to clarify the difference.
Besides, if you plan to stay truly faithful to the original series it just wouldn't look right on the big screen. You make it work for much less money on TV and keep it faithful.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Captain

Well, keep in mind, folks, I'm only a writer. This will be something you read, not something you watch, unless the folks behind Star Trek: Phase II (formerly Star Trek: New Voyages) happen to be lurking and like it enough to produce it.

This also won't feature Kirk. I'm still up in the air about whether I want to use Pike for tie-ins to TOS or use April and get even more wide open space to play in.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Well, keep in mind, folks, I'm only a writer. This will be something you read, not something you watch, unless the folks behind Star Trek: Phase II (formerly Star Trek: New Voyages) happen to be lurking and like it enough to produce it.

This also won't feature Kirk. I'm still up in the air about whether I want to use Pike for tie-ins to TOS or use April and get even more wide open space to play in.
Well, if that's the case, I'd much rather see you write a novel. Or is that not something that you do? I know writers tend to specialize in different areas. Is a novel something you would be comfortable with? If so, it would be really cool to see something published that was written by one of us (fans and members of the forum).
Maybe you could do something involving the transition from April to Pike. I guess that might sound a little too similar to what we're getting with the new movie, but that would obviously be the end of any similarities.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Commander

I'm thinking this isn't the innocent question you pose it to be.
There is no prequel series to be written for TV and the Star Trek relaunch movie is awaiting release.

Or are you referring to someone's garage-scale production with some sort delusions of grandeur release?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
Well, if that's the case, I'd much rather see you write a novel. Or is that not something that you do? I know writers tend to specialize in different areas. Is a novel something you would be comfortable with? If so, it would be really cool to see something published that was written by one of us (fans and members of the forum).
Maybe you could do something involving the transition from April to Pike. I guess that might sound a little too similar to what we're getting with the new movie, but that would obviously be the end of any similarities.
Well, here I'll cop to a big old character flaw: when I'm not getting paid, I'm lazy. *laughs*. Let me explain that. A novel is in the range of 300-400 pages, single spaced. A feature length screenplay is between 90-110 (go much more than 100 and you're risking having it chucked unread, beyond 110 and you're guaranteeing it.) A television pilot runs about 90 (typically the length of two 45 minute, 5 act television episodes.) All of that runs about even with the equation of 1 page of script equalling 1 minute of screen time.

So to bottom-line it: about 90-110 pages is as much unpaid work as I care to do, even for love.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
I'm thinking this isn't the innocent question you pose it to be.
There is no prequel series to be written for TV and the Star Trek relaunch movie is awaiting release.

Or are you referring to someone's garage-scale production with some sort delusions of grandeur release?
No, I'm referring to, "Hey, for those of you who want a prequel that doesn't contradict or jettison the history you love, guess what? I want that, too. We might or might not get it from the powers that be, but I'll tell you what -- I'll give it to you myself to make sure we get it."