The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > 2 Reasons why Trekkers & Trekkies need to Relax
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Agreed. I was scared of DS9 for a long time....but I downloaded the whole series off a torrent and watched them all and now I like it better than TNG honestly.

Voyager I did like I am not afraid to say. It had some great moments. Like the one where they're trapped in the void....that was a wonderful epiosde....and the one called Darkness where they travel across a dead sector in space. That was a great ep.

I wouldn't say Voyager sucked at all. They just didn't take it to the right place.
Yes, it had several decent and sometimes very good individual episodes along the way, it just a whole series didn't work for me. But can I ask why you were scared of DS9?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Yes, it had several decent and sometimes very good individual episodes along the way, it just a whole series didn't work for me. But can I ask why you were scared of DS9?
You know I heard once upon a time that Patrick Stewart pitched an all British production of a Star Trek series to Berman. Like a brit crew and stuff...and Berman basically told him no because there are no strictly national ships in the Star Trek future. I think that would have been a cool idea. I know Daniel Craig has voiced recently his interest in the captain's chair if they were to make a new series. People don't realize it but alot of hollywood actors want to be in Star Trek.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
You know I heard once upon a time that Patrick Stewart pitched an all British production of a Star Trek series to Berman. Like a brit crew and stuff...and Berman basically told him no because there are no strictly national ships in the Star Trek future. I think that would have been a cool idea. I know Daniel Craig has voiced recently his interest in the captain's chair if they were to make a new series. People don't realize it but alot of hollywood actors want to be in Star Trek.
I can see why it would have been vetoed, the idea that it was humanity going out into tha stars, not just one power was key.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Lieutenant

Yet, strangely enough, one of the biggest complaints I've heard about made by people from foreign countries is the fact the almost everyone in Starfleet is clearly an American. There aren't enough of their nationality represented in the main cast.

I guess they may have a point, if we're to take the current population and keep the same ratios....the majority of Starfleet should be Asian.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
Yet, strangely enough, one of the biggest complaints I've heard about made by people from foreign countries is the fact the almost everyone in Starfleet is clearly an American. There aren't enough of their nationality represented in the main cast.

I guess they may have a point, if we're to take the current population and keep the same ratios....the majority of Starfleet should be Asian.
Well what do they expect? The show is filmed in the US and you pull with the base that you have in front of you...which is American.

If they move to the UK to film you'll see mostly brits in the production. It's just good business.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post

Yeah, after TOS it kind of fell by the wayside for the newer series.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Yeah, after TOS it kind of fell by the wayside for the newer series.
Yeah but the TOS cast was all Canadian/American.

Koenig is American....Takei is American.....Doohan was Canadian. He wasn't even really Scottish...just descended from.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Yeah but the TOS cast was all Canadian/American.

Koenig is American....Takei is American.....Doohan was Canadian. He wasn't even really Scottish...just descended from.
Yes, but in terms of their characters they represented a cross-section of the human race, from skin colour through to continental origins: White, African, Asian, American, Russian, and Scotty was a nod to the fact that Scotland has a long shipbuilding history. They were there to represent the human race working in harmony.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Yes, but in terms of their characters they represented a cross-section of the human race, from skin colour through to continental origins: White, African, Asian, American, Russian, and Scotty was a nod to the fact that Scotland has a long shipbuilding history. They were there to represent the human race working in harmony.
True.

And in TNG they went one step further and put two brits on the bridge...two black men instead of one black woman....a female chief of security.....and an android of all things.

I think TNG took the harmony thing and went a step further.

What is the definition of life? - Data

Respect for all races - Worf and LaForge

Female Empowerment - Crusher, Troi, and Yar.

The only thing I never understood about TNG...casting Patrick Stewart as a french guy....why not just cast him as a British man in command. What are they so afraid of???? I SAY LET A BRIT TAKE HER OUT FOR ONCE.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
True.

And in TNG they went one step further and put two brits on the bridge...two black men instead of one black woman....a female chief of security.....and an android of all things.

I think TNG took the harmony thing and went a step further.

What is the definition of life? - Data

Respect for all races - Worf and LaForge

Female Empowerment - Crusher, Troi, and Yar.

The only thing I never understood about TNG...casting Patrick Stewart as a french guy....why not just cast him as a British man in command. What are they so afraid of???? I SAY LET A BRIT TAKE HER OUT FOR ONCE.
I think it's coz we drive on the different side of the road, in the future we're not trusted with starships - I mean put a Brit in charge (and a female as well) and all you get are two crashed Enterprises!