The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Kes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Ensign

Interesting reading all of your comments. I personally didn't like Kes all that much. I felt as though she was just placed onto the cast list as an afterthought, to simply pad out the Voyager crew. Do we really need a main cast member to grow plants and vegetables? My dislike for Kes was underlined during the 'Warlord' episode. Lien's overacting in that episode was cringe-worthy to say the least.
I thought Jerri Ryan, on the other hand, was fantastic and her character provided some very memorable moments from the series, particularly the banter between her and Tuvok and her social lessons with the doctor.
However, I did like the special effects of the Voyager's corridors being torn apart when Kes returned later in the series.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerFan View Post
Interesting reading all of your comments. I personally didn't like Kes all that much. I felt as though she was just placed onto the cast list as an afterthought, to simply pad out the Voyager crew. Do we really need a main cast member to grow plants and vegetables? My dislike for Kes was underlined during the 'Warlord' episode. Lien's overacting in that episode was cringe-worthy to say the least.
I thought Jerri Ryan, on the other hand, was fantastic and her character provided some very memorable moments from the series, particularly the banter between her and Tuvok and her social lessons with the doctor.
However, I did like the special effects of the Voyager's corridors being torn apart when Kes returned later in the series.
yeah i didnt like her much i do think he was anaftertought. 7 of 9 way hotter and better.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicktrick View Post
yeah i didnt like her much i do think he was anaftertought. 7 of 9 way hotter and better.
I always thought Kes was cute. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerFan View Post
My dislike for Kes was underlined during the 'Warlord' episode. Lien's overacting in that episode was cringe-worthy to say the least.
That's interesting. Some people consider that her best performance.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Ensign

Jennifer Lien is GORGEOUS. And she was willing to push herself, which is great.

I do prefer 7 of 9's growth curve in the series. And her whole possible future with Tom made me angry. Tom+B'Elanna.

But I thought she was good for establishing a softer side to the captain that was continued with 7, the sort of... mentor and mother position.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Commander

Funnily enough, and despite of what other people say, I have never had a problem with Kes.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Plus Kes was the one that really helped the EMH grow in the beginning, the only one who treated him as a person, you might say.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Ensign

Referring to 7 of 9...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalBoy View Post
...But I thought she was good for establishing a softer side to the captain that was continued with 7, the sort of... mentor and mother position.
I completely agree. Kes didn't have a "future", and did not contribute all that much to the crew in the ways 7 of 9 did. I also believe that the change in character schemes was directly related to making Janeway more human toward the viewers. They tried having a parental type relationship with her and Kes, but it never really came across like it did with 7. The differences were never big enough as far as personality to make it as exciting, or give the show more dynamic when dealing with the characters' development.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Midshipman

Yeah, I'm glad they chose to keep Kim and get rid of Kes. Kes was boring, and she wasn't going anywhere interesting.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Ensign

Im glad Kim was kept, he was better than Kes
Old 02-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Ensign

i just didnt want to see kes die in season 7 or get old for that fact so i am glad she left and not harry i was just happy that 7 of 9 came abord