The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Kes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Ensign

Kes' days were numbered the moment she was introduced on the show. If you characterize someone as only having a life-span of 7 to 9 years, it isn't bloody likely that the character will have realistic development in the span of the series. They had no idea how long the show would really go on at the beginning. I personally was glad that she went and Kim stayed. And you couldn't have that many promotions when you don't have the availability of new crewmembers coming in to take new positions. And you if you remember, in the entire run of TNG there were only a handful of promotions...besides those of neccessitated by death of a crewman. Only in the movies did the most promotions take place, because they weren't constrained by the need to have a continuing storyline.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Rear Admiral

OK, yeah... but 7 years!

Harry did a lot for that ship, and if that goof ball Tom could regain his rank, then Janeway could have promoted Harry.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Regent NCC-46516 View Post
Kes' days were numbered the moment she was introduced on the show. If you characterize someone as only having a life-span of 7 to 9 years, it isn't bloody likely that the character will have realistic development in the span of the series. They had no idea how long the show would really go on at the beginning. I personally was glad that she went and Kim stayed. And you couldn't have that many promotions when you don't have the availability of new crewmembers coming in to take new positions. And you if you remember, in the entire run of TNG there were only a handful of promotions...besides those of neccessitated by death of a crewman. Only in the movies did the most promotions take place, because they weren't constrained by the need to have a continuing storyline.
That's kind of different though. Getting a promotion from Ensign is the easy part, in normal circumstances. Harry must have the starfleet record for length of time spent as an Ensign.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Rear Admiral

All I'm saying is, I think it was a running joke of some kind to leave his character as an Ensign... And my apologies for getting off the subject of KES.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Neither Harry Kim nor Kes should have been on the show in the first instance.

Firstly, we don't need "Ops Officers" on Star Trek shows featuring starships.

The only reason Data was the Ops officer instead of Chief Science Officer was because his make-up looked better with him wearing gold, rather than blue.

Harry Kim was a bland character anyway. Absolutely no development to speak of. Having a "Ops" officer on a starship takes dialogue needlessly away from the Chief Engineer and Science Officers.

O'Brien was OK as the Ops officer because he was essentially the Chief Engineer.

In future Trek, they should have a Chief Engineer and a Science Officer but NO Ops Officer (and no wire hangers).

Kes was pointless. They never really figured out what her purpose was on the show and cutting the character from the show was the only good decision they made on VOY.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Ensign

I think its good she left, The only story left for her had she stayed would be her dying of old age just before they got home.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Rear Admiral

lol, NO WIRE HANGERS!!!

I loved that movie, I used to call my mom "Mommy Dearest" any time she was mean to me. Man, did that ever make her mad.

I agree, I guess, about not needing Kes. But, they did not have to replace her. Although, 7 of 9 was easy to look at
Old 02-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
lol, NO WIRE HANGERS!!!

I loved that movie, I used to call my mom "Mommy Dearest" any time she was mean to me. Man, did that ever make her mad.

I agree, I guess, about not needing Kes. But, they did not have to replace her. Although, 7 of 9 was easy to look at
yes she was one of the hotter borgs.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicktrick View Post
yes she was one of the hotter borgs.
I dunno man i gotta admit Icheb is DAMN fine in the alternate time line.. mm hmm.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAlertRiker View Post
I dunno man i gotta admit Icheb is DAMN fine in the alternate time line.. mm hmm.
lol well its matter of opinion