The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Jar Jar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Jar Jar was a waste of a charater, and it was an offensive one.

I'll take the worst Trek charater over him anyday!
I can understand folks thinking him a waste of a character....but offensive?

How?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 AM
TJJones's Avatar
TJJones TJJones is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I can understand folks thinking him a waste of a character....but offensive?

How?
Some people, i.e. those who look to take offense at anything, called him a racial sterotype (specifically, of black people). This probably wasn't helped by the fact a black man voiced the character (and was also the actor on stage during shooting, wearing a rubber Jar-Jar head so that the other actors could interact with the full height of the character).
__________________
Davy Jones
Your Friendly, Neighborhood, Navy Vet!

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy


Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 AM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
Some people, i.e. those who look to take offense at anything, called him a racial sterotype (specifically, of black people). This probably wasn't helped by the fact a black man voiced the character (and was also the actor on stage during shooting, wearing a rubber Jar-Jar head so that the other actors could interact with the full height of the character).

Ah...I figured as much.

So he was too much for the "easily" offended.

I thought Ahmed Best did a bang up job with the character. I'm also glad to see he still revisits the character, whether officially (The Clone Wars CGI series), or unofficially (Robot Chicken: Star Wars), and everywhere else in between....(some Star Wars video games)

If Ahmed didn't have a problem with it, how could anyone else?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 AM
TJJones's Avatar
TJJones TJJones is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 341
Default

That was my impression as well. I thought the character was too much comic relief throughout much of Ep. I, but I didn't think "black stereotype" when I watched him.
__________________
Davy Jones
Your Friendly, Neighborhood, Navy Vet!

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy


Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 AM
MigueldaRican's Avatar
MigueldaRican MigueldaRican is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 765
Default

It's a horrible argument really:

- Jar Jar looks nothing like a black person, more like a walking fish which is what I thought they were going for considering Jar Jar's race lives underwater.
- About that, it doesn't really fit the stereotype that black people can't swim (which is untrue obviously, but I'm addressing the stereotype).
- I don't know of any black people who talk like Jar Jar. It doesn't even fit any stereotype speech. No on ebonics or hip hop, and you're stretching it if you think there's even the slightest bit of Jamaican accent.

Not sure how it started. To top it off, Jar Jar was simply the village idiot. As we are introduced to the rest of his race, we say they're quite a bit more intelligent and have harnessed technology seemingly unseen by the rest of the galaxy.

Jar Jar is a stupid unneeded character. But offensive? Riiiiiiiiight...

EDIT: Found a couple articles:
http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/...cas/index.html
Quote: When I mentioned Jar Jar's Caribbean patois he simply cut me off. Never heard people in the Carribean talk like this.
http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/...cas/index.html
__________________
01001110011011110010000001101101011011110111001001 10010100100000011000100110110001100001011010000010 00000110001001101100011000010110100000100000011000 10011011000110000101101000

Last edited by MigueldaRican : 03-06-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 PM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
It's a horrible argument really:

- Jar Jar looks nothing like a black person, more like a walking fish which is what I thought they were going for considering Jar Jar's race lives underwater.
- About that, it doesn't really fit the stereotype that black people can't swim (which is untrue obviously, but I'm addressing the stereotype).
- I don't know of any black people who talk like Jar Jar. It doesn't even fit any stereotype speech. No on ebonics or hip hop, and you're stretching it if you think there's even the slightest bit of Jamaican accent.

Not sure how it started. To top it off, Jar Jar was simply the village idiot. As we are introduced to the rest of his race, we say they're quite a bit more intelligent and have harnessed technology seemingly unseen by the rest of the galaxy.

Jar Jar is a stupid unneeded character. But offensive? Riiiiiiiiight...

EDIT: Found a couple articles:
http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/...cas/index.html
Quote: When I mentioned Jar Jar's Caribbean patois he simply cut me off. Never heard people in the Carribean talk like this.
http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/...cas/index.html
Well, hesa bit uh clumsy.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Livingston's Avatar
Livingston Livingston is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Along the Kessel Run
Posts: 4,964
Default

Jar Jar is needed about as much as that lame a$$ trip through the PLANET'S CORE! As that older Jar Jar Gungan put it. But then again Ewin Mcgreggor seemed to be taking his cues from Roger Moore instead of Alec Guiness so don't get me started on the new trilogy.

I long for the vanquished characters of the original, before the times where a light saber was star, before the dark times! Say 1977-83
__________________


"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-07-2009, 02:37 AM
DNA-1842's Avatar
DNA-1842 DNA-1842 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Jar Jar is needed about as much as that lame a$$ trip through the PLANET'S CORE! As that older Jar Jar Gungan put it. But then again Ewin Mcgreggor seemed to be taking his cues from Roger Moore instead of Alec Guiness so don't get me started on the new trilogy.
OUCH! I really hope that was an aggressive attack of typo-errorism, because that is a really bad spelling...

No 'proper' spelling of Ewen has an 'i' in it: actually, the Ewan you mentioned uses the form with 'a' in it... And as for his last name, he does use the form with no 'a', but he also uses a capital 'G' and only one 'g' thereafter.

So it is: Ewan McGregor.

[As a Scottish person who likes names I cannot allow such horrible spellings to spring up. And that spelling was very horrible...]
__________________
Gronda Gronda to all Zarking Hoopy Froods! Bowties are cool.
I Am A Friend Of


(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Livingston's Avatar
Livingston Livingston is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Along the Kessel Run
Posts: 4,964
Default

wow, I never realized spelling could so offend someone. I'm sorry DNA.

Ewan McGregor...

I shant do it again.
__________________


"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 AM
GiarcYekrub GiarcYekrub is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiarcYekrub View Post

Discuss...
Anyone who seen the movie agree?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.