The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Jar Jar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Jar Jar was a waste of a charater, and it was an offensive one.

I'll take the worst Trek charater over him anyday!
I can understand folks thinking him a waste of a character....but offensive?

How?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I can understand folks thinking him a waste of a character....but offensive?

How?
Some people, i.e. those who look to take offense at anything, called him a racial sterotype (specifically, of black people). This probably wasn't helped by the fact a black man voiced the character (and was also the actor on stage during shooting, wearing a rubber Jar-Jar head so that the other actors could interact with the full height of the character).

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
Some people, i.e. those who look to take offense at anything, called him a racial sterotype (specifically, of black people). This probably wasn't helped by the fact a black man voiced the character (and was also the actor on stage during shooting, wearing a rubber Jar-Jar head so that the other actors could interact with the full height of the character).

Ah...I figured as much.

So he was too much for the "easily" offended.

I thought Ahmed Best did a bang up job with the character. I'm also glad to see he still revisits the character, whether officially (The Clone Wars CGI series), or unofficially (Robot Chicken: Star Wars), and everywhere else in between....(some Star Wars video games)

If Ahmed didn't have a problem with it, how could anyone else?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Lieutenant

That was my impression as well. I thought the character was too much comic relief throughout much of Ep. I, but I didn't think "black stereotype" when I watched him.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Lieutenant Commander

It's a horrible argument really:

- Jar Jar looks nothing like a black person, more like a walking fish which is what I thought they were going for considering Jar Jar's race lives underwater.
- About that, it doesn't really fit the stereotype that black people can't swim (which is untrue obviously, but I'm addressing the stereotype).
- I don't know of any black people who talk like Jar Jar. It doesn't even fit any stereotype speech. No on ebonics or hip hop, and you're stretching it if you think there's even the slightest bit of Jamaican accent.

Not sure how it started. To top it off, Jar Jar was simply the village idiot. As we are introduced to the rest of his race, we say they're quite a bit more intelligent and have harnessed technology seemingly unseen by the rest of the galaxy.

Jar Jar is a stupid unneeded character. But offensive? Riiiiiiiiight...

EDIT: Found a couple articles:
http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/...cas/index.html
Quote: When I mentioned Jar Jar's Caribbean patois he simply cut me off. Never heard people in the Carribean talk like this.

Last edited by MigueldaRican : 03-06-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
It's a horrible argument really:

- Jar Jar looks nothing like a black person, more like a walking fish which is what I thought they were going for considering Jar Jar's race lives underwater.
- About that, it doesn't really fit the stereotype that black people can't swim (which is untrue obviously, but I'm addressing the stereotype).
- I don't know of any black people who talk like Jar Jar. It doesn't even fit any stereotype speech. No on ebonics or hip hop, and you're stretching it if you think there's even the slightest bit of Jamaican accent.

Not sure how it started. To top it off, Jar Jar was simply the village idiot. As we are introduced to the rest of his race, we say they're quite a bit more intelligent and have harnessed technology seemingly unseen by the rest of the galaxy.

Jar Jar is a stupid unneeded character. But offensive? Riiiiiiiiight...

EDIT: Found a couple articles:
Quote: When I mentioned Jar Jar's Caribbean patois he simply cut me off. Never heard people in the Carribean talk like this.
Well, hesa bit uh clumsy.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Admiral

Jar Jar is needed about as much as that lame a$$ trip through the PLANET'S CORE! As that older Jar Jar Gungan put it. But then again Ewin Mcgreggor seemed to be taking his cues from Roger Moore instead of Alec Guiness so don't get me started on the new trilogy.

I long for the vanquished characters of the original, before the times where a light saber was star, before the dark times! Say 1977-83

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-07-2009, 02:37 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Jar Jar is needed about as much as that lame a$$ trip through the PLANET'S CORE! As that older Jar Jar Gungan put it. But then again Ewin Mcgreggor seemed to be taking his cues from Roger Moore instead of Alec Guiness so don't get me started on the new trilogy.
OUCH! I really hope that was an aggressive attack of typo-errorism, because that is a really bad spelling...

No 'proper' spelling of Ewen has an 'i' in it: actually, the Ewan you mentioned uses the form with 'a' in it... And as for his last name, he does use the form with no 'a', but he also uses a capital 'G' and only one 'g' thereafter.

So it is: Ewan McGregor.

[As a Scottish person who likes names I cannot allow such horrible spellings to spring up. And that spelling was very horrible...]

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 03-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Admiral

wow, I never realized spelling could so offend someone. I'm sorry DNA.

Ewan McGregor...

I shant do it again.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiarcYekrub View Post

Discuss...
Anyone who seen the movie agree?