The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New trailer with Nimoy!?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Lieutenant

Just seeing Nimoy's image in costume is very exciting to me.
This is definitely a boost to my morale regarding this film.
I liked what I saw before but now I'm even more pumped.
Thanks JJ, nice addition.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Was Spock supposed to be a member of PETA or something? What the heck is ruffling people's feathers? Now there's canon being invented by fans now?
no...Vulcans were presented in the series as being unwilling to take a life for their personal good. There is no invention, simply understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
Question: We know Vulcan's don't EAT meat, but has it ever been established that they are animal activists, and therefore don't wear or use anything from animal product?

Maybe not eating meat is just a part of their culture, but the use of animals in other ways is ok.

And don't apply our label for what a vegetarian is....on other planets it may be different.

For example, I know of vegetarians who will not eat any meat, and then some who will not eat any meat except for fish, because they don't count as meat.

In other words, Spock could still wear fur, but not eat meat...all due to what his culture dictates...or perhaps a fusion of his Vulcan and Human halves?
I guess I don't see Vulcans as being "light" on the "no use of animals" issue. It just seems logical to me. Either animals are here for us to use or we cannot use them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Concerning the fur, could be prisoner's standard equipment on Rura Penthe, so no problem with Vulcans being vegetarians.
That would assume it is Rura Penthe....which I tend to doubt simply due to proximity issues....It takes time to get from the Klingon Empire to Vulcan...and there's not much time in the movie is there?

Also...isn't it established that Scotty is found on the ice planet? Had he been on Rura Penthe, I have to think it would have been mentioned.....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Commander

Well wherever he is, if Spock beams down and someone says take this fur lined parka or you'll be a "Spockcicle" Will he take the coat and feel a moment of regret if it was animal fur and not synthetic? Or will he do the logical thing and freeze to death?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Lieutenant

I suppose that Rutha Penthe is the only patch of ice in the galaxy, Earth/Mars/Andoria/Vulcan/etc must not have polar caps, nor any other planet in the known galaxy.

Fur is an efficient insulator, so is synthetic fur (which we already have FYI), why would it necessarily be real fur and thus invoking the whole line of argument about Vulcans being vegetarians. (which is all we really know on this subject)
Old 11-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Good point. If Spock has the choice between freezing and taking fur of an already dead animal, the logical chocie would be the later. Besides, I am a vegetarian yet wear leather shoes.
Vegan people that wont use animal products (leather.feathers,wool,chese,)
vegitarans people that don't eat meat.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

If replicators can make chicken soup, I suppose they can also make animal skin.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
If replicators can make chicken soup, I suppose they can also make animal skin.
Both of which do well battling a cold!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:39 AM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
That would assume it is Rura Penthe....which I tend to doubt simply due to proximity issues....It takes time to get from the Klingon Empire to Vulcan...and there's not much time in the movie is there?

Also...isn't it established that Scotty is found on the ice planet? Had he been on Rura Penthe, I have to think it would have been mentioned.....
I can't remember where I read it (maybe trekmovie.com), but it has been stated that the ice planet that Spock is on is not Rura Penthe.

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.