The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Windows Or Mac: Which do you use?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Vice Admiral

Vista all the way
Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Captain

I've used Vista, and I have to say that it's Microsoft's first attempt to craft a user experience that's friendly on the eyes.

As an OS, though, and I used to bash people for saying this, but it's true -- it really is trying to crib from OS X. The problem is that the resource usage is about 5x that of OS X to accomplish the same things.

One thing I'll give a positive word to, though, is the Windows Live software suite. Granted, it's not iLife, but it does what I now as a Mac user can expect everything on my system to do, and that's interoperate seamlessly. On a Windows PC, though, that was an immensely new and satisfying experience. One further positive note: I have yet to find a Mac-based blogging app I like as much as I loved Windows Live Writer. (Of course, I own a copy of CrossOver, so I use Windows Live Writer on my Mac anyway. :P )
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
My Mac Mini has done some truly amazing things for a machine with its specs. I have the "lower-end" model with 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1Gb of RAM, 80Gb HDD and Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics.

Despite what are now essentially the specs of a netbook, however, my Mini obediently chugs through programs like Aperture 2 and Second Life with only moderate complaint, and conducts itself admirably with the lighter graphical workloads of video viewing and iPhoto 08. Applications like Mariner Contour for story structuring and Montage for screenwriting sail right along at a brisk clip, naturally.

I use Scrivener for writing, it's a great program.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

I use Windows XP. Someday, I'll get a Mac though...just because they're cool!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I use Scrivener for writing, it's a great program.
I have Scrivener as well, and though I find it's fine for ghostwriting things like research papers and such, it just can't match the ease and power of Contour+Montage for scripts and StoryMill for short and long fiction.

I admit it, I'm an unabashed fan of Mariner's stuff.

Addendum: Although I'm still a little leery of Contour for story structuring, as I was weaned on Blake Snyder's "Save The Cat!" structuring method and software.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Commander

Both. I have an HP desktop running Vista and a new MacBook to go with the iPhone. They are a happy couple.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I have Scrivener as well, and though I find it's fine for ghostwriting things like research papers and such, it just can't match the ease and power of Contour+Montage for scripts and StoryMill for short and long fiction.

I admit it, I'm an unabashed fan of Mariner's stuff.

Addendum: Although I'm still a little leery of Contour for story structuring, as I was weaned on Blake Snyder's "Save The Cat!" structuring method and software.
I don't like Contours Interface. I'd prefer tabs other than the sliding bar.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I don't like Contours Interface. I'd prefer tabs other than the sliding bar.
I know exactly how you feel -- my personal preference would be a Safari-style "Back/Next" control pair with a subtitle to the right of them showing the current development step.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I use Linux

When I'm not running Linux, I use a Mac.

I keep a copy of XP around for good measure, too.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Captain

I've used VMWare Fusion to play with a couple varieties of Linux, SuSE and Ubuntu. SuSE edged out Ubuntu in my eyes for style, while Ubuntu seemed a little more user-friendly. (by dots in each category, mind, they're both essentially the same thing as far as I could tell, but I'm a Linux n00b.)