The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Windows Or Mac: Which do you use?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Captain

Default Windows Or Mac: Which do you use?

From 1990 until April of 2008, I was a hardcore, dyed-in-the-wool Windows user. There was little or nothing I couldn't do with a Windows system, from 3.1 through beta-testing and then daily use of the final release of Vista up to Service Pack 1.

Then, in April, I bought myself a Mac Mini. It took me three hours to achieve the same level of proficiency and productivity with OS X 10.5 Leopard that it took me 18 years to achieve with Windows systems.

Which do you use? If given a free top-of-the-line system from "the other camp", would you take it, and -- if so or if not -- what would be your reservations about switching?
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Mac, I work in video/film editing, have always used Mac. It's a very solid system. Tiger is what I'm running now, haven't had a chance to try out Leopard, but hear good things.

If someone wants to give me a top of the line PC I'd definitely take it though I'd probably trade it for a top of the line Mac. I just find Mac's more solid. A friend of mine has a top of the line PC editing system and it's nice, very solid as well, but I prefer Mac.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
From 1990 until April of 2008, I was a hardcore, dyed-in-the-wool Windows user. There was little or nothing I couldn't do with a Windows system, from 3.1 through beta-testing and then daily use of the final release of Vista up to Service Pack 1.

Then, in April, I bought myself a Mac Mini. It took me three hours to achieve the same level of proficiency and productivity with OS X 10.5 Leopard that it took me 18 years to achieve with Windows systems.

Which do you use? If given a free top-of-the-line system from "the other camp", would you take it, and -- if so or if not -- what would be your reservations about switching?
I gave up on Windows many years ago. I use to think that Windows was much better than Mac. But, after OSX came along everything changed.

I use a Mac for all my desktop publishing and web design. In the six years I have had the PowerPC G4 (its used daily) its never let me down or crashed once, that's reliability!

The only reason I keep my Windows loaded portable is for browser testing of my sites.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Commander

At the moment... Windows XP.

My dad's been working in IT for as long as I can remember, so there were several different computers I used to play on and cetera from a reasonably early age -- even in the eighties.

I used to like Macs better than other computers because the IBM, Acer, SVI that I sometimes used were reliant on DOS or some other such thing - although making my own games with BASIC on the Spectravideo was fun. *BASIC* is the only programming language I ever learnt and even now I've forgotten most of it.

So on the Mac it had better graphics than the others and I could do word processing. (Which appealed to me in those days as a younger and more diminutive writer than what I am today.)

Now, though, I quite like Windows. ~ Remember the hype about Windows97 when that was the new "thing" that everyone was talking about? haha. Oh so long ago...

Actually I used to hate the internet because I used it in 1995 when it was all massively slow and I failed to locate what I was looking for and after four hours of concerted effort wound up with nothing more than a throbbing headache. Yay for broadband.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Vice Admiral

I'm dealing with Vista at the moment. Who knew it wouldn't play any of my old games?

Since I don't use the pooter for any art/video stuff, I figured all the features of the Mac would be wasted on me and so stuck with Windows.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I gave up on Windows many years ago. I use to think that Windows was much better than Mac. But, after OSX came along everything changed.

I use a Mac for all my desktop publishing and web design. In the six years I have had the PowerPC G4 (its used daily) its never let me down or crashed once, that's reliability!

The only reason I keep my Windows loaded portable is for browser testing of my sites.
PowerPC G4 is what I have as well. Good machine, sturdy and reliable.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Captain

My Mac Mini has done some truly amazing things for a machine with its specs. I have the "lower-end" model with 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1Gb of RAM, 80Gb HDD and Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics.

Despite what are now essentially the specs of a netbook, however, my Mini obediently chugs through programs like Aperture 2 and Second Life with only moderate complaint, and conducts itself admirably with the lighter graphical workloads of video viewing and iPhoto 08. Applications like Mariner Contour for story structuring and Montage for screenwriting sail right along at a brisk clip, naturally.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I was saving up for a macbook pro until they started their negative advertising. It seemed in poor taste and made me wonder just how superior their product actually was if they had to rip on others in order to push theirs. Besides I play alot of games and all my mac friends still moan about not having great machines for gaming. Still sticking with my PC until apple gives me a better reason to switch, other than "hey look! we are cool and they aren't"

Last edited by Ferrous : 11-24-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Commander

I went a tad retro yesterday, installing OS X Kodiak (0.1) on my iBook Clamshell.
Haha, normally I use Leopard, but right now it's bad ol' Windows Vista. Right now it's delaying the time it takes for the characters to appear on the screen. It's about a 4 second interval from typing to appearing.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Rear Admiral

Windows

*There should have been a poll attatched.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable