The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Which Star Trek had the best Theme?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Commander

They are all great scores and great pieces of work. No matter how much you may dislike some of the Star Trek shows, you can't bash their themes. Even Enterprise, with a more "rock" theme, and usage Diane Warren's "Where My Heart Will Take Me" as sung by Russell Watson, fit the mood of the show, and really, fit the message of the Star Trek universe in its time. And the secondary theme to First Contact when the Vulcan ship is landing... it really does stir the emotions.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Ensign

Nothing can beat The Original Series theme!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

James Horner's TWOK main theme was excellent, almost as epic as Goldsmith's TMP theme.

Ron Jones' soundtrack to Best of Both Worlds episode still is a personal fav.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Commander

LOL. Even my newbie Star Trek watching roommates wrinkled their noses when they heard Enterprise opening theme. They haven't seen any Enterprise cause the DVDs were too damn expensive in the US...and they weren't showing reruns on basic cable.

I really like the opening, its different, its bold, its daring. I do like the actual music they play during the end credits, too. I liked the homage to the history and science of exploration. It made it feel like you were about to watch a really really good PBS documentary like American Experience, NOVA, Nature, Frontline, or National Geographic. It made the Star Trek world seem like the real history to come. Of course! After we finish the space station...we get the Pheonix built, meet the Vulcans and voila... starships! Woot. Easy as pie! I prefer the earlier version of the song. They sped up the pace of the music, added the guitar stumming(sooo bad) and the images. The lyrics no longer matched the transitions. That I did not like at all. That was sloppy.

In Asia, tv theme songs can be so popular they air on pop radio stations everywhere. I like being able to turn on the radio or in the mall or in the supermarket...and hear a Star Trek theme song playing. You can't do that with the others...unless its classical radio.

Check this out... someone recut the opening theme to Enterprise. I like this version very much too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfNfb2PnoqE

http://www.dianahuang.com

Last edited by Ditroi : 02-08-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Captain

Man, this is tough! My wife, who is just a casual fan, LOVES the Enterprise theme. I love it also, but I think I have to go, FOR THE SERIES, with Voyager. TNG was wonderful but getting a little stale. DS9 is also wonderful, you can't beat TOS, but Voyager just does it for me, it fits the mood of being a long way from home....Russell Watson does a unique and bold move for a Star Trek series, but I love it too, it is my second favorite. Now the Movies need to be broken down to Original movies and TNG movies Undiscovered Country, is my favorite, but it is hard not to say TWOK is also great!!! First Contact is wonderful!!! I would pick that for the TNG movies, If I had to pick one all time favorite it would be First Contact....
Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Lieutenant

As far as movies go, it's a toss up between The Undiscovered Country's WHOLE TRACK,
and First Contact's opening theme.
As far as series, I guess Voyager. It's the prettiest, ha.

"It might not be so bad. For all we know the Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic sex maniacs."
~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditroi View Post
Check this out... someone recut the opening theme to Enterprise. I like this version very much too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfNfb2PnoqE
Thanks for the link, Ditroi. I definitely like that version and tone better than "Faith of the Heart."
Old 02-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Midshipman

The TOS theme was awesome and iconic. I'm glad to hear it will be in the new movie. I'm not so sure it was the best musical theme, I think The Wrath of Khan and First Contact are tied in the number one spot.

I will say this though. Out of all the television series, TOS had the best overall music. Hands down. I can't even remember any musical score or cues from the other shows outside of their main title music. Maybe the mirror universe theme from ENT, but once again, that was a main title theme.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:45 AM
Ensign

TV theme: Next Generation.

Movie theme: The Wrath of Khan.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:08 AM
Ensign

Great topic! I'm going to cheat, though. Er, I mean... change the conditions of the thread...

Best series theme
Star Trek (original)
Runner-up
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Best film score
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Runners-up
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Star Trek Generations

Worst series theme
Star Trek: Enterprise
Runners-up (or maybe that should be "runners-down" since this is a "worst" category)
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Voyager

Worst film score
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Runner-up
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier