The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Which Star Trek had the best Theme?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Ensign

Default Which Star Trek had the best Theme?

Which of all the Star Treks (Including films) had the best theme song?

For me it was Next Generation and Generations
Old 02-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Ensign

The Original Series and I'll be tricky here and say Star Trek: The Motion Picture which is actually TNG theme. I just like the full orchestra treatment of it in the movie.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The Enterprise mirror universe episodes. =P
Old 02-05-2008, 03:02 AM
Lieutenant

I think this needs to be split to TV and movies. I just don't think one can compare them properly. Actually one can't and probably shouldn't ''compare'' any of them since they are all artistic incarnations of those who do the magnificent job of framing the visual imagination with a universe of aural mood. I think one can compare ''favorites'' but to say one is ''best'' or ''worst'' is probably not proper.

As for me -- I really consider myself of the TOS generation. I grew up and imagined with it, but although it is the original concept and fanfare, I actually liked Voyager's theme. That's a bold step considering I really never warmed to the TNG era. Enterprise's theme was likewise a bold new direction and ''different'' in a ''good'' way. It even reminds me of the upcoming movie teaser.

As for the movies, I really liked the opening to The Undiscovered Country. Cliff Eidelmann took it in a new and refreshing direction and it felt big in scope and ''got you going'', ready for an adventure. It could have included a few bars of the ''fanfare'' to kick it off but it was great nonetheless.

The previous poster's affinity to TNG's theme must be properly considered in the ''big picture'' as Jerry Goldsmith ''invented'' it for the first motion picture. It almost became overused throughout the years of movies and TV and often felt like a budget consideration whereby they could ''save money'' by not comissioning a new composer. I think it worked magnificently for STTMP and was brilliantly evocative and moody for that adventure and its context. It just always felt ''derivative'' after that for me.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Lieutenant

Enterprise.....hands down......

KIDDING !

HardyCofE
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Ensign

The Next Generation is my favorite opening theme, butt I also like the alternate opening of TNG (on the first TNG soundtrack CD it's listed).
Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Midshipman

Default Favorite Trek Music

The theme that really encompasses Star Trek for me is Jerry Goldsmith's theme from The Motion Picture, which was then adopted for TNG. I find it majestic, optimistic and exciting, which is how Gene Roddenberry's vision for Star Trek has always struck me. The best way to illustrate the feeling I get when I hear this music is in The Motion Picture, when we see the Enterprise in spacedock, immediately after the shuttlecraft with Kirk and Scotty on board turns around and we're facing the ship head on. I get a rush every time I see that scene!

I also enjoyed the theme from The Voyage Home, and I especially like Jerry Goldsmith's secondary theme in First Contact.

Now, the only other music that truly stood out for me in the TV series that was not the theme music itself was from the TNG episode for The Inner Light. I found that music to be just as touching as the episode itself, so much so, that I am still moved to tears when I hear the music.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Ensign

Default Space music

James Horner's scores for TWOK and TSFS are my favorite. The music really conveys the characters emotions throughout those films as well as adding a awe inspiring sense of wonder of what awaits in the final frontier.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Ensign

I'm glad folks have pointed out that the TNG theme is actually the TMP theme. That was its original purpose and fits so well in that film. I'd read later (tho' I'm not sure if it's 100% true) that Jerry Goldsmith was upset (being the artisté that he is) that Roddenberry chose to use it as the TNG theme without his permission. I agree it's an effective theme, coupled with Alexander Courage's TOS fanfare, and prefer it to the alternate theme that Dennis McCarthy composed. But I can't get over that, technically, it's a default melody.

Alright, I'll lighten up now. My favorite overall Trek theme from the franchise is Jerry Goldsmith's theme to Voyager. It feels original, timeless, yet "fits" with adventure and optimism that Star Trek is all about. (Sidenote: I also read he asked to have his credit put in the beginning of each Voyager show to get more money and stick it to Roddenberry for using his TMP theme in front of TNG for seven years. Anyone know if that's a true story?)

For second place, for me it's a tie between the alternate theme created for Enterprise's "In a Mirror, Darkly" episodes and Jerry Goldsmith's TMP/TFF/TNG theme.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Admiral

I always liked the music in The Voyage Home. Great score!