The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > JJ Trek canon slaughterfest or another Mediocre Next Gen outing?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

First, trailers are not a random sampling of the final movie material. Second, the trailer has an action sequence, the lines from Pike and Sarek about Kirk and Spock and then again quickly cut action sequences. If it indicates anything, it is that there will be both action as well as quiet character moments, like in every good Trek movie.
Like most people and unlike the Nostradamuses, I prefer to judge the movie until I saw it.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Captain

Trailers are not random. They're very carefully constructed and generally include footage taken from between the 30 minute and 55 minute mark.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
SOME old fans. You really cannot speak for every longtime fan here, Saint.
Neither am I going to spend 5 pages in the thread and a couple hours pointing out individual by individual. About 85% of the Star Trek fans I speak with (obviously including boards other than this one) think the new look is gloss for garbage, high style crafted to disguise minimal substance and furthermore a reflection of the creative team's utter lack of give-a-**** about Star Trek or its existing fans.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Trailers are not random. They're very carefully constructed and generally include footage taken from between the 30 minute and 55 minute mark.
Thanks for that info, always appreciate to learn something from professionals

Quote:
Neither am I going to spend 5 pages in the thread and a couple hours pointing out individual by individual. About 85% of the Star Trek fans I speak with (obviously including boards other than this one) think the new look is gloss for garbage, high style crafted to disguise minimal substance and furthermore a reflection of the creative team's utter lack of give-a-**** about Star Trek or its existing fans.
If I may offer my little professional knowledge about statistics, you don't get unbiased samples on internet boards.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
SOME old fans. You really cannot speak for every longtime fan here, Saint.

No but he can speak for most.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Think it's too much to read all that from the trailer. There's not much scope for much substance in a couple of minutes. The whole point of a trailer is that it's meant to be eye-catching. If you think that after the film is out then fair enough but until then I'm going to keep an open (and slightly optimistic) mind about it.

That's the great thing about places like this; you get people with differences of opinion coming together for a healthy debate. Now, I know I'm right about this subject but a little debate on the matter never hurt anyone.......
Old 11-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Honestly, I have yet to see a trailer, even a Star Trek trailer, that doesn't try to draw in more audiences by catering to the mainstream. Even the TMP trailer tried to \/\/hore (apparently the correct spelling is profanity) out the movie's special effects and romance points.

This is where I say, "Wait and see."
Old 11-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

True...

Old 11-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Commander

The bottom line is no one can be this prescient about a film from two whole minutes of the trailer. No one.

So, someone works in the film industry or is a writer? That's great. I honestly and sincerely hope that's their dream and they feel truly fulfilled in that career. However, just as a fan and a consumer (read: someone who watches movies), I've seen enough of them to know that the trailer rarely tells you what's going on in a film. Hell, I've seen enough Star Trek movie trailers to learn that lesson alone, let alone trailers or commercials for ANY J.J. Abrams endeavor.

The trailer is designed to SELL THE MOVIE to people ALREADY at the movies. Yes, it's designed with a purpose and in a purposeful way. That's the function of a trailer. If you've made your consumer decision based on that, then good. That's what it's for. If you decide to not see the film when it opens, then it's your loss. I imagine it will look pretty amazing on the big screen.

However, don't presume that you know that Star Trek canon will be completely eviscerated from what you've read on the InterWebs or seen in two minutes of film footage. I don't care what you do for a living--you just don't know.

You.
Don't.
Know.

If canon is truly your complaint at this point--more than five months from the film's premiere--then you're just looking for something to complain about and nothing short of grabbing the Original Series bridge from Star Trek: The Exhibition and applying prosthetics to actors to make them look more like Shatner, Nimoy, et al. is going to make you happy.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Lieutenant

The Star Trek that all of us loved for the past 40 some years is basically dead in the water. After the TOS, movies, TNG, DSN, VOY, and ENT, the universe has been worn out to many. To me, that means that if someone like JJ wants to take the reigns and go in a different direction with Trek, they have every right to do so, and they are very smart to go in a new direction.
JJ knew that going into this production, and to be quite honest, I think he is the one director who could revitalize the whole franchise. Change is a part of life and a part of the FICTION we all know as Star Trek. Remember, these characters are a part of someone's imagination, and to look at them in a new way will create excitement in the market. If JJ were to put these characters in the old uniforms and the old ship as it looked in the 60's, this film would go to video so fast it would make your head spin. Thus, get off canon, go see the film, and enjoy the FICTION known as Star Trek. Change is a part of life and now a part of Trek!