The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > JJ Trek canon slaughterfest or another Mediocre Next Gen outing?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Lieutenant

Exclamation JJ Trek canon slaughterfest or another Mediocre Next Gen outing?

If you were given the choice of:

JJ Trek Canon Slaughterfest
JJ delivers a good kinda-almost backdoor Santa reboot of the Star Trek franchise. The film is a solid action picture, gets Star Trek a bunch of new fans, but alienates some of the people who have followed Star Trek for like, 80 years now.

The film debuts at #1, makes Paramount a ton of dosh, and two more sequels are commissioned.

Mediocre Next Gen Outing
Some director delivers a decent but overall a flawed Next Generation film. It focuses on Riker and his sassy first mate Deanna Troi as they patrol the frontier in the Titan. Jean Luc Picard has retired to become a gourmond in Paris, and has gained a bit of weight but is otherwise healthy.

The film is not promoted heavily by Paramount due to Nemesis' poor box office showing. It grabs a #2 box office slot before sliding in the subsequent weeks.

Long-time fans are satisfied, but overall the universe is probably worse off for having another ill-conceived Next Gen film, a la Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis.....

What would you choose?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Definitely JJ Trek! I think with Nemesis and the fact that it's been 6 years or so since Nemesis, that TNG is dead in the water. It's unfortunate, but that's where things stand. Trek needs something new and it certainly has that and it's certainly going to alienate some people, longtime fans, as is clear on this board, but I'm sorry, this is what it needs in my opinion.

Besides, the movie doesn't come out for 6 months, it may not be all that bad. B. and B. have had the reigns for a very long time and once things begin to stale, it's time for fresh minds, fresh ideas.

P.S. If this movie sucks, six months from now I'll take back everything I just said!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Midshipman

I'm so excited about this movie. I've been a fan all my life, but I've got to admit, my other college friends have no desire to see a Trek movie... until now. I've been showing the trailer around, and everyone likes it.

This is what Trek needs. Sure some of the hard core fans may not like it, but this movie will reestablish Trek as a franchise.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
If you were given the choice of:

JJ Trek Canon Slaughterfest
JJ delivers a good kinda-almost backdoor Santa reboot of the Star Trek franchise. The film is a solid action picture, gets Star Trek a bunch of new fans, but alienates some of the people who have followed Star Trek for like, 80 years now.

The film debuts at #1, makes Paramount a ton of dosh, and two more sequels are commissioned.

Mediocre Next Gen Outing
Some director delivers a decent but overall a flawed Next Generation film. It focuses on Riker and his sassy first mate Deanna Troi as they patrol the frontier in the Titan. Jean Luc Picard has retired to become a gourmond in Paris, and has gained a bit of weight but is otherwise healthy.

The film is not promoted heavily by Paramount due to Nemesis' poor box office showing. It grabs a #2 box office slot before sliding in the subsequent weeks.

Long-time fans are satisfied, but overall the universe is probably worse off for having another ill-conceived Next Gen film, a la Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis.....

What would you choose?
To start with, this question is a False Dilemma. Either we choose Bad, here, or Worse. But what would I choose? Another 5 or 10 years, if necessary, until someone comes along to take the reins who genuinely likes and 'gets' Star Trek.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-23-2008, 01:49 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
To start with, this question is a False Dilemma. Either we choose Bad, here, or Worse. But what would I choose? Another 5 or 10 years, if necessary, until someone comes along to take the reins who genuinely likes and 'gets' Star Trek.
This question is being posed in an alternate timeline, keep that in mind.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:44 AM
Federation Councillor

All these canon discussions are getting ridiculous, so yes I hope JJ slaughters literally everything in the quest for pure financial success.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:50 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
All these canon discussions are getting ridiculous, so yes I hope JJ slaughters literally everything in the quest for pure financial success.
If you hope that now, I suspect you already did from the beginning.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-23-2008, 03:01 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
If you hope that now, I suspect you already did from the beginning.
No I didn't, and to be honest I don't think he will, but it would silence the canon issues once and for all concerning the film and let things move on, because these kinds of discussions are going nowhere.

Every canon based thread is a round of the same thing. Based on what we've seen, people either think it's all automatically thrown out, or people think it's being respected but stretched, though not broken. At the moment there's no definitive proof either way so the two sides can never be reconciled.

Star Trek was never supposed to be about adults arguing over the canoninical inconsistency of Kirk's driving abilities, or Klingon ridges, or the colour of Vulcan's sky and how many moons it has. I wouldn't be surprised if Gene Roddenberry was laughing his *** off at some the things that seem vital to people nowadays.

Never mind the optimistic vision of the future, of mankind working together to better themselves, of morality tales and stories about the characters - let's all get het up about the inaacuracy of the curve of the warp pylons on the new Enterprise.

It's exactly why other people laugh and the nerd stereotype evolved.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:17 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
Never mind the optimistic vision of the future, of mankind working together to better themselves, of morality tales and stories about the characters...
Did you get the impression that those things are what we're in for? I don't. I think we're in for a hormone-driven extended action set piece. The new look upsets old fans because aside from their being no good reason for it, the reason there is for it is one that isn't good. The look supports the story, and the story this look is likely to support isn't that story of optimism and morality and inclusiveness. It's all style, and that makes people wonder how much substance there can be for us. That's why the canon is important.

Gene Roddenberry used the phrase, "catch(ing) lightning in a bottle." Now the bottle looks uncannily like iPod packaging and people are pretty skeptical about seeing any lightning. Those of us who feel this way, on the other hand, are met with a "tough ****" attitude from those who also claim to be fans -- why is that? If anyone, those of you who also love Star Trek should be the most sympathetic, the most understanding, not the least.

Aside from the question of what would lead someone to want something they like so radically changed for absolutely no good reason, I'd at least like to know why there's so little identification going on, no apparent understanding.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:25 AM
Lieutenant

Because Star Trek is about that spirit of optimism about the future -- that we really can, as a species, overcome our differences and achieve anything. Also, about good old-fashioned sci-fi adventure, with a healthy dose of commentary about TODAY's problems disguised in sci-fi, allowing people to really THINK about the issue and not get caught up in knee-jerk emotional reactions (most obvious examples being the Cold War relationship between the UFP and Klingong throughout TOS ending with Star Trek VI, and the war-on-terror morality plays throughout ENT).

This is what makes Trek Trek, and what makes Trek great, not the way the model spaceship looks, or whether or not one of the damn characters can drive a damn stick shift.