The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > If you could make a ST XI you would have..???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
I'm a doctor, not a scriptwriter, but if I had any say, I'd forget about time-travel for starters and stick to everything that was true at the start of TOS. I would expane upon every hint at a back story from all of TOS and the movies e.g.: Tarsus/Kodus, Carol Marcus, Finnegan, David McCoy's illness, Spock's defiance of Sarek, Pike's experiences on Rigel, Chekov's relationship with the hippie chick, etc... as an attempt to make everything we've seen afterwards make sense. How many of us smiled during the opening of Indy III: The last Crusade? The problem is that the story I'd want to see would be lacking in "what the movie audiences want" according to TPTB who supposedly know better than I do. Frankly, I think there's plenty of action and flash to be had looking into the past of our TOS characters and effective and creative writers could have a field day with it all. I guess that would take too much energy though with too little return for Paramount. Therefore... we all know the rest.
Well, there's nothing wrong with any of that, if you have the luxury of the time a weekly TV series or mini-series gives you, but within the different requirements of a 2 hour film you're never going to be able to deal with all of them properly, things would still be left out.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
That reminded me soooo much of McCoy!!!

I have absolutley NO creativity. I can't hatch a story completely out of my head that is new or original. I can criticize a story AFTER watching it!! Does that count?
Lol its a syndrome we all have!
Old 11-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I wouldn't be able to come up with anything that wasn't fanboyish, so I will leave it to the professionals.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
IShould Use That As A Storyline For Star Trek: Sovereign, With Your Permision!-
If you've got the dough for a short script, I'll even write it.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

I would have done the Romulan War. Not just the whole war but the begining of that War...the particulars over an engagement on some planet where star fleet is expanding too fast.

Lets face it. When you have a netural zone then the dispute is about territory. Obviously the Federation was about to annex another starsytem and the Romulans decided to put an end to them and the vulcans behind it.

I say attack Earth and Vulcan with a first strike and lead the story with Star Fleet attempting to discover the origins of the attacks and rallying troops for the ground and even seen mass destruction of colonies from orbit.

I'd have one scene with a Federation starship entering orbit of a colony and finding that it's been obliterated from orbit and an occupying Force has begun entrenching themselves in the location of the Former Federation Colony. The Captain (Lets say of the USS Ajax) decides to blow the enemy base off the planet even after knowing that a Fleet of ships is inbound to reinforce their base.

The Ajax however doesn't know that the enemy (Romulan) forces have out flanked him and are lying on his stern waiting for him to make a run for the Federation.

He preforms an emergency warp manuver to get his ship out of the system quickly but the ship suffers damage from it and weapons fire and is leaking fuel as they run away from the ship between them and the Federtation.

I would end it in tragedy as the Ajax runs out of fuel and loses all power and the Romulans capture a ship with out any resistance.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I don't have anything to contribute, unfortunately but what I've noticed so far from the ideas that have been thrown in is this: they are all very good and all have potential except that most of them, I think, would mainly appeal to fans of the franchise, as opposed to new ones. And that's not the way to go if you want to revive the franchise, is it?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Captain

It's a good set piece -- and you can use a set piece like that as the inspiration for a story. But what I found out very early in my writing career is that if you try to build a story around a single set piece, the rest of the story is kind of a let down.

I'm not saying that's not a good idea, not by a long shot -- but treat it as the seed for an even better one.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

not really.
That's more about the style of the movie not the story itself.

That's why you bring in JJ Abrams or John Woo, Peter Jackson. They don't do the script in most cases they're adding there flare that captures the audience.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
I don't have anything to contribute, unfortunately but what I've noticed so far from the ideas that have been thrown in is this: they are all very good and all have potential except that most of them, I think, would mainly appeal to fans of the franchise, as opposed to new ones. And that's not the way to go if you want to revive the franchise, is it?
Absolutely it is. See, people know when you're pandering -- and nobody likes it. Make it for the people who have loved it all along, because they're your guaranteed audience. They're thanking you with their wallets, thank them by giving them what they want.

At the same time you give them what they expected, though, give them more than they expected. That "more" for them translates to "more" audience members for you.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Captain

The story idea I had earlier might not work for Star Trek: Sovereign, though -- it's set in the 2250s, the entirety of the idea is Pike-era, very much pre-TOS. It could be adapted to a TNG+ era, but I've always felt a lot of the mystery and wonder of TOS was lacking in that time frame.