The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > To Everyone Who Says That Jj Hates Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post
Hmmm. Well, he might not have been the navigator then; I suppose he might still have been part of the crew. If canon says the only people on the ship are the ones we see on screen, then the Enterprise only has like 12 people on its crew at any one time.
Lol Nice one! I still dont understand this banal addiction to cannon Its called improvisation people. I think the story would have suffered if Khan went, dont know you either Chekhov. To complete the narrative it was neccessary to say so. It was not an error. But people are stuck up on how it is not cannonical

Besides Feral is right, maybe Chekhov was doing something else on the E. Maybe research or something
Old 11-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Lol Nice one! I still dont understand this banal addiction to cannon Its called improvisation people. I think the story would have suffered if Khan went, dont know you either Chekhov. To complete the narrative it was neccessary to say so. It was not an error. But people are stuck up on how it is not cannonical

Besides Feral is right, maybe Chekhov was doing something else on the E. Maybe research or something
Hmm, I don't think I have a "banal addiction to cannon" or any other type of artillery.... As for canon, I was just commenting on a point another user had raised.

Some people expect a degree of faithfullness & others expect near 100% accuracy. I guess we just have to learn to live and let live! Hey, isn't that what Trek's all about?
Old 11-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Lieutenant Commander

"To everyone who says that JJ hates Star Trek"

I give this article: Star Trek Countdown

Seriously, I don't think the "Abrams Administration" is throwing canon out the window. In fact it seems that for the most part they're actually trying to use key significant canon in their marketing. A comic that bridges the gap between "Unification" and "Star Trek XI". That's Abrams' brilliance for ya.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayce1701 View Post
I've been reading around a lot of sites about how JJ likes Star Wars over Star Trek, or how JJ hates Trek. I got news for ya: Nicholas Meyer, the director of Star Trek 2 and Star Trek 6. When he was approached to direct Star Trek 2, his immediate reaction was: 'I've never watched Star Trek, I don't even know what it is. It's a guy with pointy ears, yeah?'

Nicholas Meyer knew nothing about Star Trek when he directed Star Trek 2, and what did we get? Undoubedly the best Star Trek film, and one of the greatest Science Fiction films of all time. You don't have to be a Trek fan to make a good Trek movie ok.. In actuality, it seems that non-trek fans should be the prefered directors for Trek movies, as seen by Star Trek 2 and 6. The only really good Trek movies directed by someone involved with Trek was 4 and First Contact. 3,5, and Generations were good, but they weren't revolutiary the way 2 and First Contact was.

JJ will revolutionize Trek, it is guaranteed.

Very good point. Meyer was a master--especially with TWAK. We'll see what JJ can do.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post

remeber canon is what's no film.
If we didn't see Checkov and Khan speak on the Enterprise then it didn't happen. Even if Khan and Checkov say they remember each other. Canon visually confirms they never did.

why?
Canon is what occurs on screen. We never see them on screen .
Speculation that perhaps they met on ship is not canon. Infact canon doen't establish where they met or even that they met at all...only that they remember each other (If I remember correctly).

Since canon doesn't say it's not known...but it's also not a contradiction.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Federation Councillor

Incidences like Chekov/Khan are where the viewer is relied upon to fill in the gaps of what happens offscreen, otherwise we would need it to be Star Trek: 24!!
Old 11-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Captain

It's fiction. Things work the way they're supposed to work within the confines of the story. It happens in Trek all the time. You should be used to it after 40 years.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
It's fiction. Things work the way they're supposed to work within the confines of the story. It happens in Trek all the time. You should be used to it after 40 years.
Many Star Trek fans have unrealistic expectations of everything matching up, or being supposed to match up, story-wise in-universe.

The series and films have been in the hands of different people over the years, and of course not everything makes sense nor should it be expected to.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Meyer! That's who it was. In another thread I was trying to remember what other director resembled the "new blood" approach.

Thank you.

Carry on.
What you forget is Gene was alive & Nichols did not try to
reimagine the franchise tossing out everything GR did to make it his own.

so your example FAILS
Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
remeber canon is what's no film.
If we didn't see Checkov and Khan speak on the Enterprise then it didn't happen. Even if Khan and Checkov say they remember each other. Canon visually confirms they never did.

why?
Canon is what occurs on screen. We never see them on screen .
Speculation that perhaps they met on ship is not canon. Infact canon doen't establish where they met or even that they met at all...only that they remember each other (If I remember correctly).

Since canon doesn't say it's not known...but it's also not a contradiction.
I'd disagree. We weren't shown every minute of every day Khan spent aboard. Plus, he might've only seen Chekov's image when browsing the Enterprise's database. But as a member of the crew, Chekov would certainly have known about the guy who was on board.
If we had to assume that nothing happens aside from what's on screen, that'd mean they rarely sleep, almost never wash, and never, ever go to the bathroom