The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > To Everyone Who Says That Jj Hates Star Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2008, 05:22 AM
Lieutenant

You know i explained the plot of Trek to a friend, about how it is optimistic about the future...............he flat out rejected it as a possiblity. Too much BSG induced cynicism We need Trek coz it shows atleast for a couple of hours what man can be if he forgoes his vices That is something to root for! Go JJ!!
Old 11-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
You know i explained the plot of Trek to a friend, about how it is optimistic about the future...............he flat out rejected it as a possiblity. Too much BSG induced cynicism We need Trek coz it shows atleast for a couple of hours what man can be if he forgoes his vices That is something to root for! Go JJ!!
You mean like lust (Kirk), gluttony (Scotty), wrath (Bones), pride (Chekov), etc.?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Return to its roots? Star Trek at its roots is best preachy and cerebral in nature. A la Insurrection. .....

I LIKE preachy and cerebral!!! Maybe I feel this way because I grew up with TNG, but preachy and cerebral ARE part of what makes Trek, well....Trek.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I LIKE preachy and cerebral!!! Maybe I feel this way because I grew up with TNG, but preachy and cerebral ARE part of what makes Trek, well....Trek.
Well, JJ has already made it clear that he thought there was too many discussions instead of action in Trek previously, so I don't see this film being very cerebral! Hopefully it'll be heart felt, emotional, dramatic, tense, optimistic, epic and of course action filled!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Ensign

But Meyer didn't direct a prequel. He created ST as he saw it (and within a budget). Also, the timeline moved forward!!!!! Meyer did have one big canon screw up with Chekov. JJ is creating a prequel and with a prequel comes all the burdens of canon. Besides its message, a continuos but flawed canon is what makes ST unique.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pork View Post
But Meyer didn't direct a prequel. He created ST as he saw it (and within a budget). Also, the timeline moved forward!!!!! Meyer did have one big canon screw up with Chekov. JJ is creating a prequel and with a prequel comes all the burdens of canon. Besides its message, a continuos but flawed canon is what makes ST unique.
Yup, maybe it would've been better with RUSS Meyer!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pork View Post
But Meyer didn't direct a prequel. He created ST as he saw it (and within a budget). Also, the timeline moved forward!!!!! Meyer did have one big canon screw up with Chekov.
How's that?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJG Iferal View Post
How's that?
I think Lord Pork was referring to the fact that Khan recognised Chekov in TWOK even though Chekov wasn't part of the crew when Khan appeared on TOS.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Ensign

JJ has a knack of taking something established and changing it for a new generation. An example would be Lost. If you think about it, it's basically a modernized Gilligans Island, but for a New generation. Cloverfield took the shaky cam aspect from Blair Witch to the next level (and yes, I thought Cloverfield was awesome).

About Nero. The key to a perfect villain is that he's not supposed to be evil or bad, but that he feels that what he is doing is justified. I was reading Mick Foleys autobiography, and I'm gonna take an example from there. Apollo Creed wasn't evil, he was the best and he knew it. Darth Vader wasn't necessarily evil, but manipulated and was a puppet. Michael Corleone, whom I think is the greatest villain of all time, he was a good guy, but as he got more and more involved in the mafia, he turned into a villain without realizing it. He killed Fredo for crying out loud. These are all justified acts, not necessarily evil. Khan was just like that. As he said, Revenge is a dish that is best served cold. His justification was the death of his wife. He wanted Vengeance.

That's what made Khan so great, he didn't see himself as evil, but a man on a mission. He wasn't evil for the hell of it. Shinzon had all that potential, he had justification, but they screwed it up. I don't what Nero is gonna be like, but I can only say what he has to be like for him to succeed.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty80 View Post
I think Lord Pork was referring to the fact that Khan recognised Chekov in TWOK even though Chekov wasn't part of the crew when Khan appeared on TOS.
Hmmm. Well, he might not have been the navigator then; I suppose he might still have been part of the crew. If canon says the only people on the ship are the ones we see on screen, then the Enterprise only has like 12 people on its crew at any one time.