The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why does Vulcan have....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

yes, who cares?

The release date is far far away, do we really have to answer all those important life and death questions?

ok... they have a blue sky because blue sky is cool, and cool is happiness, and happiness is part of star trek, and star trek is like a blue sky, and a blue sky is cool, and cool is... u get it?

oh my... its a infinite loop...
good day
Old 11-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

Didn't they say the movie was done and that the film was pushed back just for the summer release.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Commander

When they pushed the movie back, they might've changed their schedule to allow more time for the post-production work to be finalised...

I've often wondered why sci-fi isn't more eager to take advantage of the sky as one giant blue-screen. It'd be nice to see more alien worlds with alien atmospheres and skies - why on Earth didn't the Baku world in Insurrection have its beautiful rings visible from the surface?

Old 11-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Lieutenant

I really see no reason to dispute the matter until the whole film is released.

But I will anyway.

If it's a blue sky, red sky or orange sky I really don't think it'll matter because the audience will know it's Vulcan because they will tell us it's Vulcan. If that's what JJ's Vulcan will look like then so be it. It really won't affect the story at all.

STORY IS PARAMOUNT
Old 11-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Honestly, I want Vulcan's sky to be red/orange/magenta. We've seen the sky so many times and so it shouldn't be changed.
Amazing find, btw. Didn't notice it, though I watched the trailer in slomo many times now...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Captain

This actually doesn't disturb me that much, on the basis of what MonsieurHood just pointed out. Here in Arizona, we get a "Vulcan orange" sky from time to time during monsoon season when a dust storm will kick dust into the sky in the valley. It's entirely reasonable to believe that dust storms could possibly be a more common occurrence on Vulcan, which is why we've seen red/orange/gold-ish skies there in the past... future... whatever. But it'd be pretty improbable that they'd be that color day in and day out for, like, ever.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Didn't they say the movie was done and that the film was pushed back just for the summer release.
The film would be completed *as if* it were being released at the end of December, which means it likely wouldn't be final and ready for prints until mid-December.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Lieutenant

Wasn't the only time we've ever seen Vulcan's sky been during the evening? The fight in TOS was in the evening. Sarak and Spock were smoking doobs in ST:III in the evening (when else would you do such a thing?).

I think that this is the first time we've seen Vulcan's sky during the midday.

There's your canon, you canonista.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
Wasn't the only time we've ever seen Vulcan's sky been during the evening? The fight in TOS was in the evening. Sarak and Spock were smoking doobs in ST:III in the evening (when else would you do such a thing?).

I think that this is the first time we've seen Vulcan's sky during the midday.

There's your canon, you canonista.
Canonista? I've got to monopolize on that term! Got to get my peanut a Sombrero, a handlebar moustache a poncho and some rifle cartridge belts like Pancho Villa! That's now my favorite derogatory term for those concerned with canon! Canonites sounded like some kind of order of Monks or something, but Canonista's? That's freakin' cool! I'm a Trekkie, not a Trekker, and now a Canonista as well. Groovy, man.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
When they pushed the movie back, they might've changed their schedule to allow more time for the post-production work to be finalised...

I've often wondered why sci-fi isn't more eager to take advantage of the sky as one giant blue-screen. It'd be nice to see more alien worlds with alien atmospheres and skies - why on Earth didn't the Baku world in Insurrection have its beautiful rings visible from the surface?
Answer:
B&B says-Toomuch more money.