The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Conjecture on the outline of Star Trek, timeline changes *Possible Spoilers*
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Lieutenant

Default Conjecture on the outline of Star Trek, timeline changes *Possible Spoilers*

One of the big things that some of us are wondering is "How does this movie 'fit' into the current timeline?" The simple straightforward answer is, "It doesn't really fit, get over yourself."

But, I've had some time on my hands and was re-reading the novel "Best Destiny", when I had an epiphany...or an epileptic seisure, I'm not sure which...

So below is how I think, based upon a lot of guess work from interviews with the script writers, the timeline changes play out. I've hidden it under the spoiler points just in case I turn out to be right.

Possible Spoilers follow
Old 11-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Rear Admiral

It's already being bandied about from people who have seen the much longer excerpts from the film that Star Trek XI does represent a major change from the original Trek timeline--that it serves as a sequel, prequel, and reboot all in one...

Star Trek XI: Back To The Future
Old 11-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Lieutenant

LOL well works as well as anything else I've read thus far... though I assume Spock gives Starfleet at least some sorta new technology ideas to explain a bunch of little things leftover in there...

and all this still don't explain why the corridors are boring white and the iBridge... with more boring white... oh but it's shiny and there's glass stuff.

hmmm... maybe:

"In an effort to make Starfleet harder to pin down and understand it is decided to withhold any and all possible hints at their character and/or likes or dislikes of any sort so all onboard technology that could ever be possibly seen by enemy forces through communication or interior sensor scans must be dull and contain no sense of style or hints of flavor and it should also be flashy and shiny to blind the eyes of any would be spies.

Uniforms must be the reverse and remain colorful and bright to draw the attention to the crew members so the enemy may be frightened and intimidated by their outstanding good looks and 'in your face' attitudes. Actually come to think of it damn those outfits look good with a white background.... eh.. oh... END TRANSMISSION: STARFLEET SECRET DIVISION OF TACTICAL PLANNING"

OK all that is stupid, but I got a kick outta typin it...
Old 11-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Lieutenant

I like that rationalization lordisaiah, mind if I post it on my site under your name as a best guess?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Lieutenant

Sure, go ahead Aqua.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Captain

I think it's just Q havin' a giggle. I can certainly picture at least one person having a fit of the girlish giggles over it, anyway.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Lieutenant

thanks for the permission, it's up
Old 11-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Federation Councillor

It seems awfully convoluted and worried about small matters for a 2 hour origin story. There's a lot there that explanation isn't needed for and fresh audiences don't need to know about. Which doesn't make it wrong, but I'd rather see character origins and development.

Last edited by kevin : 11-22-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Star Trek XI does represent a major change from the original Trek timeline--that it serves as a sequel, prequel, and reboot all in one...
This quote, I think sums it all up. Don't expect the same timeline to unfold as in TOS, we will not see that Trek again, JJ is starting from scratch.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm afraid IMO I disagree, until I see solid evidence otherwise.