The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Online Article Examining Star Trek XI
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Ensign

Default Online Article Examining Star Trek XI

Thought people might find this of interest, a nice look at the pros and cons of the 're-imagining' of big screen Trek and insights into how Trek fared during its previous comebacks.

http://www.reelviews.net/php_reeltho...identifier=520
Old 11-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Author's quote:

"At this point, I can say no more. I have not seen the movie."

Enough said.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Vice Admiral

quote: "But what happens if the movie, helmed by non-Trekker J.J. Abrams, is so focused on achieving widespread acceptance that it alienates Star Trek's core fans?"

This is the question many of us are asking. Of course it is not only wise, but imperative to wait and see the movie before calling "foul!"
Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Commander

Absolutely.

Nicholas Meyer wasn't a fan of Star Trek before he took the reins of "The Wrath of Khan" and then he went on to contribute to "The Voyage Home" and came back for "The Undiscovered Country." Arguably three of the most successful--and most loved--Star Trek adventures ever.

Wait for the film to open people. Please.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Captain

On Enterprise and why it died:

Quote:
This wasn't Star Trek any more. It was something else.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
On Enterprise and why it died:
To you and the author maybe, but NOT to every Trek fan. I really like ENT. The writing didn't kill ENT. UPN killed ENT. We've had this discussion before. Remember, most of us aren't writers ourselves, so we don't judge each movie and episode thru the same "lens" you do. There are a handfull (maybe more!) of episodes that were just wayyyy out there, and really bad Trek, but overall I have enjoyed each and every incarnation of Trek.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Commander

The writing for season 3 and 4 of ENT was great. Manny Coto was really turning that show around. UPN and Paramount effectively killed that show, I have to agree.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Ensign

Agreed, I thought ENT was good an even had a good cast. UPN was always doomed to fail. ENT should have been moved to CBS when that merger went down. Just my opinion. Don't get me wrong I think B&B also partly responsible for killing ENT as well.

-Reece
Old 11-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Federation Councillor

I think they have to take the risk of alienating some of the core fans. Assuming after the facts of ENT demise and Nemesis' poor takings, any new Trek project was going to involve looking at new blood, new ideas and potentially doing a back-to-basics reappraisal, it follows then then no-one could be able to really try and redevelop Trek into a success again without displeasing someone out there. I know some people may scream 'Manny Coto!!!', but then not everyone will have liked him either. It will always be the case someone is left disappointed.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Ensign

I was never a really big fan of ENT, but I still watched it because it was Trek. The one thing I've found with every version of Trek since TOS, whether it was TNG, DS9, or VOY, was that it took a couple seasons to hit its stride and start producing really good shows.

I look back at some of the first and second season episodes of TNG and can't believe how lame some of them appear, compared to the last two seasons. DS9 finally hit its stride for me when the Dominion War kicked into high gear over the last two seasons. Same issue, but to a lesser extent, for me and VOY.

I was waiting for ENT to hit its stride and it was finally starting to get interesting after they ended the season long Xindi story (which I really hated!). The stories were slowly but surely getting better.

I mostly blame UPN for dropping the ball by moving the show around and not sticking with it. Some of the blame can probably get dumped on Berman and Braga too, but I can't be too upset with them, given the many years of good Trek they gave us before this. Maybe they were just getting burned out?

I don't think ENT was Trek at its best, but it gets dumped on too much.