The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Female uniforms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Lieutenant

There's a female full admiral in the US Navy, just in the news a few weeks back.

In TNG/DS9, there's some blond ***** that's an admiral that I really don't like at all
Old 11-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

I seem to still be laughing.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekki View Post
I don't know if the women have a more important role in Star Trek than men do. I think they have less of a role actually, which might be why they don't show rank. Of course, the highest ranking women ever, I think, was Captain Janeway in Voyager. I don't know if there have been any higher ranking women, at least in the humans.
There was at least one admiral in TNG - the feisty little blonde that Picard didn't like.

When you're in a combat situation in the Army no one would wear rank cause then the bad guys know who to shoot... I suppose that analogy breaks down a bit on the bridge of a starship... but it's a good guess!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grelev View Post
The female uniforms have short sleeves without any rank stripes...does anybody know if or how they identify rank for female officers?
This brings a whole new meaning to the "Enterprise A.. B...C... and D".

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
This brings a whole new meaning to the "Enterprise A.. B...C... and D".
Oh God, I declare you winner of the thread.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Lieutenant

seconded
Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
One of the things about navy ranks, especially when you look at eras like the age of sail, ship crews were relatively small (compared to the army) and didn't really have the need for officers and warrant officers to show rank all the time.

The crews were more intimately familiar with each other. I served on a ship with about the same number of crew as the starship Enterprise, and I knew just about everyone on board, including their rank, throughout the majority of my time there. You really do get to know your crewmates...even if it's only their name, rank and face.

So, while Uhura may often wear the short-sleeved tunic, the crew know her (and her rank) without needing to see it on her uniform every day.
This was an insightful post, thank you TJJones =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekki
I don't know if the women have a more important role in Star Trek than men do. I think they have less of a role actually, which might be why they don't show rank. Of course, the highest ranking women ever, I think, was Captain Janeway in Voyager. I don't know if there have been any higher ranking women, at least in the humans.
The team that made TOS tried very hard to include strong female characters. They ran into trouble with the broadcast company though, I know they caught some flack for Pike's Number One because they "didn't feel that the viewing audience was ready for such a strong female role" or some such nonsense. Which, in 1966, was an unfortunate reality. But there's been plenty of evidence in the other series that women and men are equal in Federation society and Starfleet.

I wasn't aware that twelve Klingons constituted a swarm...
-Kirk
Old 11-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
When you're in a combat situation in the Army no one would wear rank cause then the bad guys know who to shoot... I suppose that analogy breaks down a bit on the bridge of a starship... but it's a good guess!
Actually, soldiers in the field still wear rank, but the army/Marines use embroidered, understated insignia worn over a tunic button, so that friendly troops can identify their officers and NCOs.

But, when you go back to the armies of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic eras, it was important to be able to quickly identify officers in the field. The rules of warfare discouraged against the targeting of officers, because the loss of leadership and discipline in the ranks would lead to some serious mayhem. So, uniforms and insignia were very distinct by necessity.

And you're welcome, Grelev. I'm always happy to share knowledge when I can.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 11-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
Actually, soldiers in the field still wear rank, but the army/Marines use embroidered, understated insignia worn over a tunic button, so that friendly troops can identify their officers and NCOs.

Or on the back of their hats too, I think.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Lieutenant

That might very well be the case (I've heard that before). Unfortunately, at the military university where I work (and the nearby training facility), we don't get to see the kids in full combat loadout.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy