The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "I'd watch it, but it's Star Trek... so I won't." :(
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Not paying to watch it IS boycotting it. After it is released on DVD is irrelavant. How can you determine the true quality of this movie if you don't watch it?

Where did all these guys get their crystal balls from? I need one. I really love to see things that haven't happened yet.

If the only way you can decide if you want to see a movie is to see it, then everyone would have to see every movie and then decide if they want to see it. That's what you're suggesting and it doesn't make much sense.

Over in the "boycotting" thread it was stated by others that I could skip the movie if I didn't like what I'd seen so far and not be accused of "boycotting" it as long as I didn't push others to avoid the movie. I haven't.

As far as "crystal balls" the only one I use is not so much crystal, but several pounds of grey matter in my skull. I watched the trailer, read the reviews and descriptions of the longer previews, looked at the stills and read all the interviews and based upon all that information, I decided that the movie wasn't worth my time or money. Is that wrong?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well, anyone's within their right to not see this film if what early information they get has them inclined not to like the results -- that's simply forming a general opinion, and so far attending movies is entirely optional.

On the other hand, what some fans are arguing against is forming conclusions which are being jumped to based on incomplete information -- which is a whole different matter entirely.

Choosing not to see a movie because it doesn't appear to one's liking is NOT boycotting a film. It's just not buying a ticket.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
If the only way you can decide if you want to see a movie is to see it, then everyone would have to see every movie and then decide if they want to see it. That's what you're suggesting and it doesn't make much sense.

Over in the "boycotting" thread it was stated by others that I could skip the movie if I didn't like what I'd seen so far and not be accused of "boycotting" it as long as I didn't push others to avoid the movie. I haven't.

As far as "crystal balls" the only one I use is not so much crystal, but several pounds of grey matter in my skull. I watched the trailer, read the reviews and descriptions of the longer previews, looked at the stills and read all the interviews and based upon all that information, I decided that the movie wasn't worth my time or money. Is that wrong?
Then why are you bitc*ing about it? Crawl into your cave and watch your Trek DVDs over and over, because with that outlook, you probably will never like any future portrayal of Trek. There were people like you that said the same thing about TNG. The only thing that is constant is change. You either move along with it or get the heck out of the way!!

I am happy to hear that you are not actively attempting to keep others from not watching the movie, but that is not a requirement for your actions to be considered a boycott. If you boycott...say, McDonald's, then you don't buy food from there.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Captain

What I don't understand is why all the naysayers and boycotters and other assorted whiners and complainers are still posting in this forum. The STXI forum. The movie is made, their minds are made up, and there's not much chance of changing either. Seems like there's no point in hanging around.

But that's just me.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Then why are you bitc*ing about it?
I'm not allowed to voice my opinions? Is it only people who support the movie who are allowed to post here?

Why are you so upset that I don't like what I've seen so far?

Quote:
I am happy to hear that you are not actively attempting to keep others from not watching the movie, but that is not a requirement for your actions to be considered a boycott. If you boycott...say, McDonald's, then you don't buy food from there.
Then in your opinion I am boycotting the movie. Fine with me.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
I'm not allowed to voice my opinions? Is it only people who support the movie who are allowed to post here?

Why are you so upset that I don't like what I've seen so far?

Then in your opinion I am boycotting the movie. Fine with me.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
What I don't understand is why all the naysayers and boycotters and other assorted whiners and complainers are still posting in this forum. The STXI forum. The movie is made, their minds are made up, and there's not much chance of changing either. Seems like there's no point in hanging around.

But that's just me.
Because there are others here who feel the same way.

Why shouldn't I come here and write my opinions? Why is that any different from the people who come here and write how much they love what they've seen so far? Who cares if someone loves the movie? Why waste bandwidth with that? Just go see the movie and buy the merchandise.

The problem arises when people get upset that someone voices a negative opinion. Why get upset when someone doesn't agree with you?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
That's right. And you're the one doing the beating.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Vice Admiral

boy⋅cott/ˈbɔɪkɒt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [boi-kot] Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object)1......2.to abstain from buying or using: to boycott foreign products.

Look it up
Old 11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Because there are others here who feel the same way.

Why shouldn't I come here and write my opinions? Why is that any different from the people who come here and write how much they love what they've seen so far? Who cares if someone loves the movie? Why waste bandwidth with that? Just go see the movie and buy the merchandise.

The problem arises when people get upset that someone voices a negative opinion. Why get upset when someone doesn't agree with you?
I'm not upset, in fact I don't care one way or the other. I'm old enough to decide for myself what I like and what I don't like, and if someone else has a problem with that, it's their problem, not mine. Personally, I don't care what you or what's-his-head-the-other-guy say, or anyone else for that matter. I just don't understand why anyone would waste so much energy being repeatedly negative about something they have absolutely no control over. It's very immature, and there are much bigger things in the world to be concerned about.