The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "I'd watch it, but it's Star Trek... so I won't." :(
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Star Trek fans won't go because it isn't made for them. Non-fans won't go because it still (almost) looks like it was made for Trek fans.
OK... no matter what happens you cannot please all of the people all of the time, FACT.

There are some people who I have mentioned this to (non trek/general sci-fi people) who said WOW, and those that were still not interested. ALL of the Sci-Fi (Trek or Non-Trek) peeps I showed it too were WOW.

Now I am not saying that this straw poll is indicitive of the general consensus, but from what I have seen and read, the vast majority of people who have seen the trailer are going to see the film. Whether they perceive it to be made for them or not and whether they regard themselves as a Trek fan (no matter how fanatical) or not.

In the general scheme of things, yes more people won't go to see it than will... BUT that is just statistical fact. Loads of people don't like or cannot afford the cinema and for others they are just not film people. I think the number of people that watch films in the cinema must be something like about 10-30% of the populus.

That being said, I think the majority of the cinma going public WILL go to see it regardless of who it is aimed at or they perceive it to be aimed at.
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Please don't bring her up!! She is the epitome of taking Trek wayyyyy too far!!
Unfortunately the minority of Star Trek fans like this is what main stream media portrays to the rest of the world which makes it much more difficult for other fans to explain to "average" people we all aren't like this. That's why there are so many closet Trekkies. I know may people that after I tell them I'm a Star Trek fan they tell "oh ya did watch quite a bit of TNG and enjoyed it"
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Please don't bring her up!! She is the epitome of taking Trek wayyyyy too far!!
That was exactly my point.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Midshipman

Oh well, he probably wouldn't like it anyways.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
Unfortunately the minority of Star Trek fans like this is what main stream media portrays to the rest of the world which makes it much more difficult for other fans to explain to "average" people we all aren't like this. That's why there are so many closet Trekkies. I know may people that after I tell them I'm a Star Trek fan they tell "oh ya did watch quite a bit of TNG and enjoyed it"
I was talking to someone who only knew snippets and asked questions like which was the woman captain, how many films were there.

When I started answering to the best of my ability, the first thing he said was "are you a trekkie". I replied no, but I don't think he believed me.

Just because I like something, and retain some of the info, does not make me what other people perceived to be a trek fan (read nerd/geek)
Old 11-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
I was talking to someone who only knew snippets and asked questions like which was the woman captain, how many films were there.

When I started answering to the best of my ability, the first thing he said was "are you a trekkie". I replied no, but I don't think he believed me.

Just because I like something, and retain some of the info, does not make me what other people perceived to be a trek fan (read nerd/geek)
You said "no"?!!! What? You are on this board, but you are not a Trekkie/Trekker? Don't deny your true self!!! You should have said "YES", and said it proudly!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Midshipman

I think it will be a good thing. I have been watching Star Trek since it's start back in the 60's
Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Commander

LOL
Trekkies-Out and Proud!
I've been showing my trek-disliking friends the trailer, then withholding the title.
One or two knew what it was, and actually said it looked bad-***.
The other 3 said it looked awesome.
And one said "Looks better than Star Wars or Star Trek or whatever. What is it?!"
Then I told him "Star Trek"
His jaw looked like it was going to fall off. no joke.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The funny thing is that if this was Star Trek, I would watch it.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
One of my friends after seeing the trailer:
"If I wouldn't know that this is Star Trek, then after seeing this trailer I would probably watch it. But I've never liked Star Trek, so I'm not interested."

I guess the marketing campaign has to point out that this will be different
With all due respect, your friend sounds moronic.

That's the stupidest reason I've ever heard for not wanting to watch a movie.