The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Berman/Braga, wonder what they think?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's not that it was bad, it was just overuse and predictability.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

I second that. When I saw Peter Jackson's King Kong, it's storytelling style reminded me of LOTR, and I guess after seeing several more of his movies, it might become boring, not because they ain't terrific movies but because one grows familiar with his style.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I second that. When I saw Peter Jackson's King Kong, it's storytelling style reminded me of LOTR, and I guess after seeing several more of his movies, it might become boring, not because they ain't terrific movies but because one grows familiar with his style.
Precisely. I liked Voyager back when it was on, but nowadays I just find it so boring because no matter what the plot will have something to do with the EMH or Seven or a Borg-related threat. Ugh
Old 11-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I have to be honest and say that their thoughts are not foremost on mine. I'm sure they will be asked at some point and will respond whatever way they are thinking.
An intresting and round about way to say...I don't care.
I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
All I see here is a bunch of crying. Are you saying that everything from the last season (or two) of TNG, thru DS9 and VOY are ALL a "steaming dump"?
He's right to an extent. If trek was a women they then they should be arrested for pimping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko89 View Post
DS9 has Ira Behr written all over it. I've always suspected that Braga/Berman were the ones who constantly blocked the entry of a gay character onto all the next gen and post-gen shows.
There were many people much higher than B&B that block the gay character. Paramount wouldn't allow it because society would have placed the "gay show" label on Star Trek.

And I think they were right. I would definitely stop watching. I will not be the guy that watches that kind of thing among my friends. Most of the time I don't care what people believe but in this situation I'm willing to drop it cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
It's not that it was bad, it was just overuse and predictability.
THIS JUST END: Overuse and Predictable = a bad show.... THAT IS ALL....

Old 11-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Precisely. I liked Voyager back when it was on, but nowadays I just find it so boring because no matter what the plot will have something to do with the EMH or Seven or a Borg-related threat. Ugh
Post-TNG Trek was what one can describe as "sucking-out the franchise", making a lot of money in a short time yet no long-run perspective as the last "dead years" show.
If one can blame anyone for that business strategy, it's the studio and not the creative folks, they are of course happy when they have a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
There were many people much higher than B&B that block the gay character. Paramount wouldn't allow it because society would have placed the "gay show" label on Star Trek.

And I think they were right. I would definitely stop watching. I will not be the guy that watches that kind of thing among my friends. Most of the time I don't care what people believe but in this situation I'm willing to drop it cold.
This reminds me of Nichols' account about how Roddenberry and Shatner fought against studio executives reservations about showing an interracial kiss and finally allowing the scene. To paraphrase Nichols, "damn what the South thinks".

Last edited by horatio : 11-20-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
THIS JUST END: Overuse and Predictable = a bad show.... THAT IS ALL....
I can find a few good episodes in the overused and predictable category, but it definitely sucked the life out of Star Trek from Voyager Season 4 to the last season of Enterprise.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

You're right of course.
But with Trek there is nothing left to work with...because there is rarely fixating drama...

Take House for example...predictable and over used.
But it's always intresting.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
You're right of course.
But with Trek there is nothing left to work with...because there is rarely fixating drama...

Take House for example...predictable and over used.
But it's always intresting.
Agreed wholeheartedly! The lack of drama in Voyager was so very noticeable. It was almost as if they were a caricature of Star Trek in general, with all the technobabble and constant use of unreal technology. There was no human element left.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
He's right to an extent. If trek was a women they then they should be arrested for pimping..
That's funny!!

Quote:

Really? You would drop watching Trek if there were a gay character? I know you have Christian values, but isn't that going to far? There are gay people everywhere. Wouldn't trek be a more accurate depiction of the future if it depicted ALL types of people, every race, color, and even sexual preference? Please clarify what you mean by the above statement. What do you mean by "that kind of thing"?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Vice Admiral

I really don't care about B&B's opinion of the movie, although I would be interested to know their opinions. They are responsible, in part, for bringing much of the Trek I have watched and enjoyed to my television.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 11-20-2008 at 11:19 AM.