The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Berman/Braga, wonder what they think?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Why all the hatred/dislike for Berman and Braga?
Because once Gene was dead and buried they both held each others hands and skipped up to the doors at Paramount and proceeded to take all that was pure about Star Trek and take a huge steamy dump all over it and then smear it on the walls of the sets.

That's why I hate Berman and hope he dies screaming and in pain. And Braga...there's a nice warm seat in hell for him right next to Satan and the guy that created the cabbage patch kids. He openly stated while making Voyager that he had never seen the original series and didn't see the point in having to know anything about them. I mean I've been screaming about canon and how it doesn't matter and it doesn't...but you have to have at least SEEN the original subject matter to know what you're creating around. At least JJ did THAT.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Federation Councillor

I have to be honest and say that their thoughts are not foremost on mine. I'm sure they will be asked at some point and will respond whatever way they are thinking.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Because once Gene was dead and buried they both held each others hands and skipped up to the doors at Paramount and proceeded to take all that was pure about Star Trek and take a huge steamy dump all over it and then smear it on the walls of the sets.

That's why I hate Berman and hope he dies screaming and in pain. And Braga...there's a nice warm seat in hell for him right next to Satan and the guy that created the cabbage patch kids. He openly stated while making Voyager that he had never seen the original series and didn't see the point in having to know anything about them. I mean I've been screaming about canon and how it doesn't matter and it doesn't...but you have to have at least SEEN the original subject matter to know what you're creating around. At least JJ did THAT.
All I see here is a bunch of crying. Are you saying that everything from the last season (or two) of TNG, thru DS9 and VOY are ALL a "steaming dump"?

I would think being familiar with TNG would be MORE important than being familiar with TOS when it comes to doing a TNG era show. Makes more sense to me. I take it you didn't like VOY. Probably didn't like ENT either. What about DS9? I loved ALL those shows.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Lieutenant

I'm with many others here when I say I really don't care with B&B think.

I watched TNG when it was the only Trek on (as much as I was able being at sea a lot in the early 90s), but it was too preachy for me. DS9 was very good, though I didn't get to watch much of it. Just couldn't stay with Voyager...too inconsistent in the writing and character development (and the entire concept of Kes was simply silly, IMO). I enjoyed Enterprise, but moreso in the 3rd and 4th seasons.

To me, B&B were at their best when they were hands off (especially after TNG ended); when they meddled, the shows had problems.

And, yes, the Enterprise finale was an abomination. There's no coming back from that. (Someone needs to declare that episode apocryphal. )

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Ensign

DS9 has Ira Behr written all over it. I've always suspected that Braga/Berman were the ones who constantly blocked the entry of a gay character onto all the next gen and post-gen shows.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'm no fan of Berman or Braga really, but I definitely think their glory days 15+ years ago. I would think they're probably happy not to be involved anymore after the way they left the franchise.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Vice Admiral

I am starting think B&B are indeed scapegoats. I haven't heard anything that can be directly attributed to them that is such a negative for Trek.

The final episode of ENT was horrible.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I am starting think B&B are indeed scapegoats. I haven't heard anything that can be directly attributed to them that is such a negative for Trek.

The final episode of ENT was horrible.
To be honest, I don't think everything can be pinned on them either. It's mainly the writers of Voyager who over-used the hell out of the Borg (and Seven, and the Doctor, and too much time travel), and the general hit or miss nature of Enterprise (yet more useless time travel).
Old 11-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

I consider it pretty hard to filter out the influence of individual producers and if I cycle through the writing credits of people like Berman, Braga, Piller or Moore, I can't see any pattern or significantly good or bad writing, so whom am I to judge them.