The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Nero's Ship is named ......... SPOILER
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Ensign

Default Nero's Ship is named ......... SPOILER

The

N

A

R

A

D

A

From Wiki: "Narada is a divine sage from the Hindu tradition. He is portrayed as a travelling monk with the ability to visit distant worlds or planets."

And apparently, now, ... Time.

I love these Romulan ships from the past 2 movies. First the Scimitar, now the Narada. They are so cool looking and beautifully designed. I wish Playmantes would make a Scimitar model too. I feel like I'm 10 again!!

Source: http://trekmovie.com/2008/11/19/deta...name-revealed/

The name of the ship is written that way in case someone accidentally clicks the link and doesn't want to be spoiled in one glance.

Last edited by sean4000 : 11-20-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Awesome!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:36 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Interesting name. Makes me more curious about Nero's backstory now.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Lieutenant

I hope it's really named the Jellyfish Vehicle.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

IRTS (Imperial Romulan Timeship) Cnidaria

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 AM
Ensign

Cool name -- I was afraid they'd go with some cheesy, blatantly Roman name, like Caligula, or Livia.
Then again, anyone who's seen I, Claudius wouldn't mess with a ship named Livia.
I want a ship named Livia now, dammit!
"Then we're going to lunch."
Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 AM
Lieutenant

Bah! Now I'm gonna have to reread I, Claudius, AGAIN

Love those books.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Vice Admiral

At first I thought the ship was called "Spoiler" but that's cause I'm on my first cup of coffee.

It looks like Narada is usually shown with a sitar. Now I must go see why that is.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

I like the name. A unique name for a unique vessel.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Vice Admiral

My bad - it's a vina, not a sitar. Here's some background - the "wandering" part seems interesting.
This is getting to be like old times when the hubby and I decoded the Matrix!

Son of Brahma
According to legend Narada is regarded as the Manasaputra referring to his birth 'from the mind of Brahma', the first living being as described in the Puranic universe. He is regarded as the Triloka sanchaari, the ultimate nomad who roams the three lokas of Swargaloka (heaven), Mrityuloka (earth, literally: "place of death") and Patalloka (nether-world). He does this to find out about the life and welfare of people. He was the first to practise Natya Yoga. He is also known as Kalahapriya as he playfully causes quarrels amongst Gods (devas), Goddesses and people.
Narada Muni has a specifically important place among the Vaishnava traditions. In the Puranic scriptures, he is listed as one of the twelve mahajanas, or 'great devotees' of God (Vishnu). As he was a gandharva in his previous birth before becoming a rishi he is in the category of a devarishi.

[edit] Enlightenment

The Bhagavata Purana describes the story of Narad's spiritual enlightenment: In his previous birth Narad was a gandharva (angelic being) who had been cursed to be born on an earthly planet due to some offense. He was born as the son of a maid-servant of some particularly saintly priests (brahmins). The priests, being pleased with both his and his mother's service blessed him by allowing him to eat some of their food (prasad) previously offered to their lord, Vishnu.
Gradually Narad received further blessings from these sages and heard them talking about many spiritual topics. When his mother died from a snake's bite, taking this as an act of God (Vishnu), he decided to roam the forest in search of enlightenment in understanding the 'Supreme Absolute Truth'.
Reaching a tranquil forest location, he, after quenching his thirst from a nearby stream, sat under a tree in meditation (yoga), concentrating on the paramatma form of Vishnu within his heart as he had been taught of by the priests he had served. After some time Narad experienced a vision wherein Narayan (Vishnu) appeared before him, smiling, and spoke "that despite having the blessing of seeing him at that very moment, Narad would not be able to see his (Vishnu's) divine form again until he died". Narayan further explained that the reason he had been given a chance to see his form was because his beauty and love would be a source of inspiration and would fuel his dormant desire to be with the lord again. After instructing Narad in this manner, Vishnu then disappeared from his sight. The boy awoke from his meditation both thrilled and disappointed.
For the rest of his life Narad focused on his devotion, meditation upon and worship to Vishnu. After his death Vishnu then blessed him with the spiritual form of "Narad" as he eventually became known. In many Hindu scriptures Narad is considered a partial-manifestation (avatar) of God, empowered to perform miraculous tasks on Vishnu's behalf.

Last edited by jerhanner : 11-20-2008 at 07:19 AM.