The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Just some thoughts from an old fan
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Midshipman

Default Just some thoughts from an old fan

I have been watching Star Trek since I was a small child, it has served as the inspiration for my involvement with technology and my love of science and mathematics. It has also encouraged some of my thinking, mostly because it was always an interesting show that challenged the concepts of what exactly our society is with relation to technology. I've had a chance to read this forum before posting this, and I am reasonably sure of the responses that I will receive. That having been said, I would like to make it clear that I mean no ill intent of Paramount or this movie and wish it the best of luck with regards to sales. However, I would like to point out that as a Star Trek fan, and given what has been said regarding this series I am ashamed and disappointed of Paramount in their attempt to broaden their fan base for the Star Trek franchise.

This movie does not represent the ideas the Gene Roddenberry and the Staff and crew that developed The Next Generation, The original Series, Deep Space 9, and Voyager had in mind. We have said it time and time again, Prequels did not work for Star Wars, and they will work even less so for Star Trek, mostly because Star Trek established a far more solid network for its history. That having been said, when I discovered this movie was being handled as a Prequel I knew almost immediately that we were looking at dealing with the past and a probable flop. And that brings me to the point of this, I really don't mind the changes to the cannon, the series has perhaps needed a reset; however, it should be noted that this series focused on the future of humanity, the idea of a utopia through technological innovation. Weather that have been through the cowboy western style of The Original Series, the philosophical style of The Next Generation, or even the style of War and religion as approached via Deep Space 9. I fear this movie forgets the ideas it was founded on.

Star Trek isn't about "Pew Pew action", even in TOS it was more about the idea of the interaction between species, the notions of gods and higher beings, it was about promoting racial equality, and removing the notion that genders could not preform at an equal level. Star Trek has pushed nearly every social boundry. And that is why motivation figures such as the late Dr. Martin Luther King promoted it, even when it was not doing well.

Perhaps just as important as the social issues, are those issues of technology. The Cellphone, the Ipod, and countless other small things that we now use in our everday lives were in part inspired by the original series our one of its spin offs. By dipping into Star Trek's past you do nothing less than stangnate this core of Star Trek, the notion bringing forth new technology and new ideas to be presented to the engineers and scientist of the world.

This is why NASA named its first shuttle Enterprise, this is why every single actor within the Star Trek franchise is held up and praised by the scientific community for continuing to provide inspiration, and even in the words of "Stargate"'s 200th episode "Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Issac Asimov once said: 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.". I think this speaks volumes about what you are about to do to the Star Trek franchise

Now we can all sit here and argue about this and that in the cannon, I argue that by attempting to make this movie appeal to the broader public you destroy the technological and social issues that made this show what it is today. And while perhaps we the fans of the show don't make large contributions in terms of actual $$, I remind those who read this message board, and perhaps paramount, that it is that same group of fans that for the past 40 years has set up conventions, has purchased merchandise. And even when you have a vocal minority within the Star Trek community, please remember that these are the fans who are worth more than simply an advertising dollar on UPN, or CBS. These are the viewers who will do more than buy a ticket at the theater. I don't want to attack and divide the ideology of Star Trek fans into two groups, but the fact of the matter is that there are 2 groups, the casual viewer, and those who go beyond the show and work to explore what can be done with the ideas and principals at work. And when you feel you can keep the casual viewer while offending your base, you must come to realize you are no longer hosting the same show.

In closing, I am relatively sure that this movie will do well, in fact I imagine it will blow nemesis out of the water, however, myself and I think a large minority of Star Trek fans who did go out and buy the silly encyclopedia, or do purchase that silly merchandise, will have been offended, have been ashamed, and after the failure of the Star Trek Nemesis and Star Trek Enterprise, I would hope that Paramount realizes that perhaps when we call foul, that we truly mean it. That when we say we aren't taking it, that we don't. You have had a series and a movie flop, I hope for you sake that yet another creation under the banner of Star Trek does not fail, because if this one does it may very well be Star Trek's last shot at retaining any kind of continuing media presence.

Regards,
A fan

Edit: I think perhaps what hurts the most is this drive to make Star Trek like Star Wars is some fashion, to somehow make the 2 similar in style and presentation, and while from a marketing sense Star Wars does make more money, as with keeping with the ideas presented, I feel that somehow this is the most costly mistake that someone could make with regards to Star Trek. Star Trek != Star Wars, it never has and it never will, Star Trek will never outsell Lucas's creation in any form or fashion, by attempting to broaden the appeal, by making Star Trek more "actiony" you have done nothing less than try to mimic Star Wars style of science fiction (or as some would call it fantasy in space). This is in my opinion a mistake.

Last edited by fullphaser : 11-19-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Commander

I completely agree that the fans are important and should be considered. I also agree that Star Trek has always been a platform in which to put forth ideas about social issues, and has always done so in a way that gets the point across without beating you over the head with it. But I am concerned that the soul of Star Trek, and it's deeper meaning and purpose will be lost forever if this film turns out to be nothing more than an action picture along the lines of films like "The Fifth Element" and "Total Recall". Star Trek is simply NOT that kind of empty, vacuous, T&A overloaded, explosion driven roller coaster ride. It needs to have more substance than that.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Ensign

Though it can be said that Star Trek has a lot of 'Gunboat Diplomacy' in it as well.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amasov View Post
Though it can be said that Star Trek has a lot of 'Gunboat Diplomacy' in it as well.
Yes, because Star Trek points toward a better future, not a perfect one. And there are times when a small voice and a big stick are not just the correct approach, but the only approach. Like the Indian Navy just showed us with these damned ship hijacking, greedy, blackmailing Somali pirates.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Yes, because Star Trek points toward a better future, not a perfect one. And there are times when a small voice and a big stick are not just the correct approach, but the only approach. Like the Indian Navy just showed us with these damned ship hijacking, greedy, blackmailing Somali pirates.
Speaking of which, what is it with pirates at the moment:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5141745.ece

http://www.lloydslist.com/ll/news/pr...0017590589.htm
Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Commander

"Too much dumb action" was one of the factors that hurt recent Trek badly... since the new movie's trying to veer away from recent precedent, I think it'll be fairly tight and intellectual, if fast-paced.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amasov View Post
We thought we had rid ourselves of them long ago. Then we fogot them. What happens when you forget history? History repeats itself to remind you.

"Too much dumb action" was one of the factors that hurt recent Trek badly... since the new movie's trying to veer away from recent precedent, I think it'll be fairly tight and intellectual, if fast-paced."
-BigD
I agree with you completely on this point BigD.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Commander

Piracy never really went away, it just dropped out of the public focus. They've always been a problem in the waters around strife-torn poorer countries, or isolated inland waterways like the Amazon's secluded reaches.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Piracy never really went away, it just dropped out of the public focus. They've always been a problem in the waters around strife-torn poorer countries, or isolated inland waterways like the Amazon's secluded reaches.
That is also true. It is also true that piracy today isn't the romantic, swashbuckling piracy we are familiar with from literature and film. In fact, neither was piracy in the days of sail. But since pirates today operate usually out of the limelight, in unfamiliar and faraway places, interest in it diminished considerably. Since it happened mostly "out of sight, out of mind", it has been largely forgotten by the general populace, until it's emergence of late on the evening news.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Who said the prequels "never worked" for Star Wars, fullphaser? You? Boo-hoo! Star Wars was a series of stories from day one, but Episode 4 was the best one to introduce the series with and that's what we got in 1977. Trek went off the rails all on its own: Get over yourself! If you don't like Star Wars then good for you. Star Trek is not the same as Star Wars, or 2001: A Space Odyssey, or Fantastic Planet, or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, or Incredible Voyage, or Andromeda Strain, or The Black Hole, or Space: 1999, or Battle Beyond the Stars, or Battlestar Galactica... Star Trek is one sci-fi story with a fan base, like so many others. If all you can do is whine about how Star Trek is better than so-and-so because they're not the same as Star Trek then who cares?