The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > My Thoughts on the Future of Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Commander

And remember, at the end of TWOK, Kirk talks about how he's cheated death and patted himself on the back for it.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Smile

I'm so glad this thread is discussing the philosophical implications of the established canon, rather than discussing the canon itself.

It's exactly what I wanted for this thread.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Lieutenant

My feeling is that Kirk (the previous version, that is) isn't so much a rebel as seeing the big picture and doing what he knows is Right, even when policy or orders are against him. This is a trait that I've often seen in Starfleet Captains. I know this begs the question of 'What is Right?', but then I am not a subjective man and believe in an objective Right, so this idea troubles me not at all.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS
It is quite alienating to younger Trek fans when it feels like we're being thrown scraps of Trek rather than being able to sit at the same table with the seniors and sharing.
Then our complaints are being taken in a way other than they're intended. Let me put it like this:

What us "canonistas" are complaining about is -- to extend your metaphor -- we used to get steak. Yeah, maybe it came on paper plates, but it was filling and it tasted great. Last couple outings, though, a lot of us feel like we're getting served Big Macs on $500 china. To those of us who remember the steak on cardboard plates, we're disappointed both for ourselves and for you. We don't feel like you're getting the authentic dish, and we, like you, are pretty adamant that you ought to, even if we have to go back to the cardboard plates to get the steak in front of us again.

And I should so be tried for war crimes for torturing the living **** out of that metaphor.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Yes, by all means tell me what is good for me. Don't let me decide for myself.

Don't even let me suggest some turkey instead of steak. After all, you'll be around forever to be the head of the table won't you?

See this is the problem. You think the best has already past.

I will say again what I ended my first post in this thread with.

We Trekkies often dream about living in the future, yet we seem so intent on having a death grip on the past.

The optimistic, uncertain future will always lose to the belligerent, nostalgic past it seems.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

There was plenty of TREK which was Salisbury Steak at best, some of it barely worthy of Hamburger Helper.

I think other fans can decide for themselves what they like and don't like. I agree with your sentiment, Saint, I really do. On the other hand, no one likes to be told "I don't like that meal, so you should stop eating it."

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

It goes a little bit deeper than that I think for me.

I came up with that analogy to illustrate the old's perpetual stranglehold on the youth.

And he sorta validated it instead of proving it wrong.