The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Mistake in Movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It just goes to prove that most of us would have liked to have seen the movie follow canon to a T....but JJA had a different idea and well we will get what we get. I know I will still be there in line opening night.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjh1701 View Post
The point of what I wrote really wasn't a huge debate over how to fit the driving scene from the new preview into the "canon" of Star Trek and that one episode of TOS. I didn't mean to start a debate about alien society cars vs. Earth cars, hidden automatic clutches, clutches on the floor vs. clutches on the column, and all that. (But I must admit, the debate here is lively, creative, and interesting, to say the least!)

What I meant to say was that scene just represented another example among the many I have found of the total disregard to everything about Star Trek that's been built and created over the last 40 years.

Yes, I know, GET A LIFE, and all that - come on, I've been a Trekkie since the early 1970's. You think I haven't heard that before?

The details and trivia that have been built and added to over the years are what makes Star Trek so much fun for me.

If you grew up knowing and loving the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and suddenly someone decides to "reboot" it by changing Goldilocks to a 40-year-old, tatooed sailor who goes through a grass hut on a tropic beach that was built by three little pigs who ate Pop Tarts instead of porridge, you might get a tad unnerved and upset...! Yeah, the basic message might be the same, but if you're expecting blonds, bears, and porridge but find yourself looking at Popeye, pigs, and Pop Tarts, well, you get the idea...

Also - to RedShirtsRuS - I really appreciate your reply to my comments. I never intended to make you feel that us oldtimers were throwing scraps to you young-uns! (but that's a really interesting analogy!) I'm a principal at a private school and love talking to my kids about Trek. It's fun to see new people get hooked and I always enjoy debating the great history of Star Trek!

'nuff said!
Alright so you've been a Trekkie for a long time. Then you know that historically this franchise is far from perfect. All previous tv shows and movies are riddled with mistakes and inconsistencies especially in the details. Trek writers have been known to screw with canon both knowingly and unknowingly.

Now it just looks like you're going to be unforgiving of a new movie with new blood at the helm and disregard the fact that Trek has never been mistake free.

Please, people, everyone, don't let this be another Indiana Jones 4 thing. Meaning people hate the latest movie because it's loaded with mistakes and preposterous scenes, disregarding the fact that all previous movies can be accused of the same exact thing.

Please, PLEASE, go to this movie with an open mind. Will canon be changed? Probably. Will there be mistakes? Definitely. GET OVER IT!!!!!

P.S. Oh dare I say it? Dare I? Yes. Klingon forehead ridges. Clear point in Trek history where canon was screwed with. "Oh, um, well, the Klingons evolved." Even the most Trekkiest of the Trekkies go, "eh, okay, let's go with that... yeah." Point being, is that you say you're a lifelong Trekkie (I am too) then you know that even with inconsistencies, there has always been some sort of explanation offered (whether by Trek producers or fanboys) to save it from being an inconsistency.

That is the beauty of Star Trek.

Last edited by MigueldaRican : 11-20-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Lieutenant

kjh1701,

I am 39. My connection to Star Trek mirrors yours in many, many ways. I sometimes like to think that TOS is my Trek. But, I disagree with you so very strongly on your assertion that Abrams has "total disregard" for everything that has come before.

To me, it's not about whether young James can really drive a stick, or whether Pavel was already on the Enterprise when Kirk arrived. What matters is the spirit of Star Trek; the intense, reckless brilliance of James Kirk, driven to succeed; the struggle of Spock to reconcile the two halves of himself; Bones' passionate, cautionary counsel; the building of the friendship between main characters.

Trek has always been about moving forward, regardless of each individual show's "era." Abrams shouldn't let minor details get in the way of telling an excellent Star Trek story.

And, as Trek fans, we should be able to let that happen, instead of working ourselves up into a frenzy of unmitigated drama over a "history" that was often inconsistent with itself over the last 40 years.

As long as the essential core of our beloved "Star Trek" (and those points have been plastered all over the forums) is central to Abrams and Co's. efforts, I will welcome this movie, with open arms, into the expanded Trek universe.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceship22 View Post
We see Kirk driving a sports car with a shift. Yet in the episode "A piece of the action" He had trouble driving a car with a shift. Even Spock said he was an excellent captain, but a lousy cab driver.
Yet there is a huge difference in trying to drive a 1920's Model T vs. a vintage 1960's Corvette. I have driven a ton of different cars and I can tell you that a vehicle designed in the 1920's is a pain in the arse to drive. Corvettes on the other hand are a dream to drive.

Last edited by CAPTAIN MOUSE : 11-20-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Yet there is a huge difference in trying to drive a 1920's Model T vs. a vintage 1960's Corvette. I have driven a ton of different cars and I can tell you that a vehicle designed in the 1920's is a pain in the arse to drive. Corvettes on the other hand are a dream to drive.
O my, I do think you've closed the case!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

re: blaming the new film for canon mistakes...

two-and-a-half words: James R. Kirk

TREK has contradicted canon from the start, often at Roddenberry's own choosing. If he was okay with it, maybe fans could throttle back on their outrage a bit?

Some people going ape over the tiny details in this film are literally missing that big picture.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post

TREK has contradicted canon from the start, often at Roddenberry's own choosing. If he was okay with it, maybe fans could throttle back on their outrage a bit?

Some people going ape over the tiny details in this film are literally missing that big picture.
God and you just nailed the entire canon argument shut!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Sorry, my friend, but the canon argument will never be nailed shut. Not as long as two TREK fans breathe on this earth. But I'm fine with that.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post

Exactly. There's no way to "follow canon to a T" because Star Trek itself has played loose with it over the years.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Midshipman

Well lets hope that the Corvette scene is longer, I mean that's why I'm gonna see it.