The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Mistake in Movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamLX View Post
The shift looks like an old style automatic to me, not a proper european manual!!!
... yes, mid-60s Corvettes were famous for their European components
Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 AM
Midshipman

notice in the trailer the vettes roof was up at the start split second later the roof is down? that was quick!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:03 AM
Lieutenant

Yes now that is a mistake
Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 AM
Lieutenant Commander

And so it begins: the nitpicks that destroy movies like this. If you are a career nitpicker stay the f--- away from this movie, please. I do not want "rotten tomatoes" showing up with a 15% rating simply because someone's bothered by the way a character combs their hair or some stupid crap like that.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:14 AM
Captain

That sequence is probably much longer than what we see in the trailer. Maybe Jimmy accidentally hits the roof release while speeding along and it flies off causing the officer to have to dodge it.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Ensign

Default You're Missing the Point, At Least My Point (And I Think I Have One...)

The point of what I wrote really wasn't a huge debate over how to fit the driving scene from the new preview into the "canon" of Star Trek and that one episode of TOS. I didn't mean to start a debate about alien society cars vs. Earth cars, hidden automatic clutches, clutches on the floor vs. clutches on the column, and all that. (But I must admit, the debate here is lively, creative, and interesting, to say the least!)

What I meant to say was that scene just represented another example among the many I have found of the total disregard to everything about Star Trek that's been built and created over the last 40 years.

Yes, I know, GET A LIFE, and all that - come on, I've been a Trekkie since the early 1970's. You think I haven't heard that before?

The details and trivia that have been built and added to over the years are what makes Star Trek so much fun for me.

If you grew up knowing and loving the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and suddenly someone decides to "reboot" it by changing Goldilocks to a 40-year-old, tatooed sailor who goes through a grass hut on a tropic beach that was built by three little pigs who ate Pop Tarts instead of porridge, you might get a tad unnerved and upset...! Yeah, the basic message might be the same, but if you're expecting blonds, bears, and porridge but find yourself looking at Popeye, pigs, and Pop Tarts, well, you get the idea...

Also - to RedShirtsRuS - I really appreciate your reply to my comments. I never intended to make you feel that us oldtimers were throwing scraps to you young-uns! (but that's a really interesting analogy!) I'm a principal at a private school and love talking to my kids about Trek. It's fun to see new people get hooked and I always enjoy debating the great history of Star Trek!

'nuff said!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you kjh1701.

But everything said after my reply to you other than your last post has been incredibly depressing.

All I got was more nitpicking about manual v.s. automatic v.s. alien transmission, insults flying back and forth between both camps of trekkies(purists and revisionists) and I also loathe hearing the "GET A LIFE" thing whether it pertain to Trek or not.

I started a new thread "My thoughts on the Future of Trek", starting with my long reply to you. You are welcome there. I will no longer be posting in this thread however as it still seems to me like I'm being thrown scraps here(not by you though).
Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Captain

Quote:
If you grew up knowing and loving the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and suddenly someone decides to "reboot" it by changing Goldilocks to a 40-year-old, tatooed sailor who goes through a grass hut on a tropic beach that was built by three little pigs who ate Pop Tarts instead of porridge, you might get a tad unnerved and upset...! Yeah, the basic message might be the same, but if you're expecting blonds, bears, and porridge but find yourself looking at Popeye, pigs, and Pop Tarts, well, you get the idea...
I think that was an episode of Gilligan's Island.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Vice Admiral

who cares if kirk can or cannot drive a car
Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Ensign

Mistake???? What If...... the vette went boldly over due to kirk NOT knowing how to drive a clutch... Wait.. He drives the BMW bike to SF.... Gee I guess we wait to see.. What happened to the White Ragtop? he probibly forgot to latch the top down and it blew off.

To bad Shatner couldn't play his own Father for 15 minutes to save 800 people on the Kelvin... Wow... that would be a shocker if he was! hmmm one can come up with so many different ideas. Really can't wait to see it!!

I remember back in 1969, on a saturday afternoon, watching a double feature hour long Sci Fi show with the coolest spaceship of "the time" and I think my kids are going to like the coolest spaceship of "thier time". No it won't be the same. No it won't be the same Enterprise. No it won't be the Kirk (but don't we have enough comdians that.. do.. Kirk.. All.. ready!).

Star Trek at it's root is an Idea, a wish, a longing of a man that in his heart felt that we can all be differant (no matter what planet we're from, or country). Star Trek is his vision of the future is what every fan needs to take a deep look at, It's the story, it's the characters of 5 differant versions of His vision. I think that if Gene Roddenberry was with us today he wouldn't really care about "canon" as much as the message, the story, the characters, and the Vision of our possibile future.

I remember sitting on the floor on every saturday in front of the TV, On CBS channel 3 out of Kalamzoo, Michigan when I was 9 to watch two episodes of Star Trek. I told my son after the Preview and before Bond, "we can go now!, I'm happy" He laughed at me, but he and my daughter watch any Trek with me (and thier teenagers, awsome Dude!)

Stop complaining, stop trying to "canon" a Vision that has changed and grown for over 40 years. Before this film Star Trek was Done. Let's enjoy the VISION. (sorry if anything is misspelled)