The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Mistake in Movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Midshipman

Unhappy Mistake in Movie

We see Kirk driving a sports car with a shift. Yet in the episode "A piece of the action" He had trouble driving a car with a shift. Even Spock said he was an excellent captain, but a lousy cab driver.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Are you seriously gonna make an issue out of something that inane?

What does that have to do with space exploration?

What does that have to do with character development?

What does that have to do with the Enterprise?

PRIORITIES <---- re-examine that
Old 11-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Ensign

I think somebody focuses a little too much on the details. But then again, that is what makes a fan a fan.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Ensign

For all we know, kid Kirk may have barely got the corvett going & once it was rolling he was away. Mabey Abrams knows the "clutch" detail canon thing & is playing with the fans??
Old 11-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Looking at my post now, I think I should apologize to spaceship22 for being a little too antagonistic.

Sorry man.

It's just I can't believe that something so pointless as a gear transmission(even if it is canon) even bothers people at all, compared to all the other canon discrepancies being discussed and dealt with.

Does this manual gear shift bother you that much dude?
Old 11-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the board spaceship22. Don't get scared off. You will get flamed here and you will flame here, once you've been around a while. Just remember, there is never anything personal. It's all just talk. Keep it in perspective.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Eh, I don't think it's a mistake. The trailer may be the last time he drives a car until the TOS episode. Besides, judging by the fact that the car ends up at the bottom of the cliff, he wasn't doing too great a job this time, either
Old 11-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Ensign

"It's just I can't believe that something so pointless as a gear transmission(even if it is canon) even bothers people at all, compared to all the other canon discrepancies being discussed and dealt with.

Does this manual gear shift bother you that much dude?"

Actually, and I mean no offense by this, yeah, the manual gear shift does bother me that much...

I replied to another post about this same point. In the grand scheme of all the other gripes and complaints being thrown around about this movie, no it doesn't matter much at all.

But to me it stood out, because I've been an "old school" Trekkie (yeah, I know, don't even start on the Trekkie vs. Trekker debate!) since I was a little kid. I'm 42 now and watched the first syndicated reruns when I was about 8 or so. I grew up with Trek and have been a fan my whole life.

The fun of Star Trek has always been these stupid little things that I watched over and over, grew up with, remember and enjoy. It's familiar and fun. And I guess part of being a diehard lifelong fan is that you get a little bit protective of something you grew up with and enjoyed so much.

Trek has always been a part of my life. I went to the first convention in New York City with my dad. At about 12, I met Gene Roddenberry, got a handshake and a real autograph (I still have it - he even personalized it!). I remember saving my allowance to buy Starlog magazine as a kid just to grab the latest news about the first new movie - STMP.

I cut out of school early to get in line for the first showing of TWOK (and got grounded for a week when my mom found out). I watched the premier episode of TNG in the dorm lounge in college on a big screen tv. I didn't even give up after I saw Star Trek V!

It's always been a part of my life, so yeah, something dumb like seeing a young Kirk tear around in a Corvette bothers me. And so does a totally different looking Enterprise being built on the ground in Iowa. And so do Romulans being seen before Balance of Terror. And yes, it scares me to hear somebody say they never really understood Star Trek, preferred Star Wars, and wants to make a movie for new fans. And, well, you get the idea.

This may seem stupid and pointless, but the fun of Star Trek has always been the little tidbits and details. The little things that fleshed out the story and the backstory, made the characters a little more real, and gave the show its integrity. These old "morality plays" were way more fun for me than the shoot-em-up action of a Star Wars movie any day.

No, I don't want the film to fail. Yes, I'll be there at the first show.

I just feel a bit protective of something I grew up with. Something that's been a part of my life for well over 30 years.

I was just expecting a little more loyalty to the original legend that started it all, built four series, ten movies, and all the fun I've enjoyed my whole life.

That's all.

Last edited by kjh1701 : 11-19-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Midshipman

I couldnt agree more with the original poster. But I have a sinking sensation that JJ Abrams is going to drop the ball on this one... like he did with MI:III and Cloverfield.

Its going to become teen-trek, this is what I see from the previews... so I am not getting my hopes up.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Lieutenant Commander

It would be hard to argue w/ that respectful, well-thought post, kjh1701 - and welcome...

A true fan.

While I myself can separate the two (new movie and canon) - I nevertheless understand. It is natural to want to connect a prequel to what we've known and loved for years.

But I'm extremely anxious to experience the new mythos - and ready to 'rediscover' Star Trek.

From a true fan.

My 2 quatloos.

Last edited by Star Trek : 11-19-2008 at 05:26 PM.