The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Damn the Canon - full speed ahead!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

TNG wasn't a re-envisioning. It was the future. Somepeople resisted that future.
Re-envisioning means to go back.

Canon is good.
But it's clear that this isn't going to follow canon...so why does it matter? Well of course it doesn't.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Canon Shmanon… Role with this Movie....Trek needed a good do-over anyways. Trek was dying, and although I once said “let it die”, I miss seeing something new from the trek world. I skipped the whole “Enterprise” fluke, had my words about Voy (although it is still one of my faves after DS9, why didn’t they do a movie?). Genes dead, stop with the Canon that was messed up anyways not starting with this Movie. Start a new Canon and bring back new TV series so I can once again have something to go home to in front of the TV and see something worth watching. This time though, bring it in HD.

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out
Old 11-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Lieutenant

CANON! Please! TREK has no real CANON! TREK has changed itself and it's history more times I've changed my socks in the past month! There has never been any consistency with TREK... Nothing stays rigid with TREK, never has and hopefully never will....

There are dozens of examples where TREK has changed its CANON in a matter of episodes, let alone years....
Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

well stated
Old 11-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
But, what sort of horrible brain damage happened that cause Kirk to forget how to drive a stick shift? Or, that he'd even driven one before? (in A Piece of the Action he doesn't say "relax, I used to drive one of these when I was a kid" ...heck, Spock has to tell him about the clutch!)

Okay, I admit that's minor.

Chekov being onboard is really a problem. I can't work out a way that Chekov could be anything more than a 10 year old boy when the Enterprise was built.
Someone on another thread brought up the point that some stick shifts differ per car, so it is possible he doesn't know how to drive that particular one. Also, wasn't he having problems with the clutch?

You hit on the ONLY thing that bothers me, and that's Chekov. That one is a little hard to get, but I'll let it go until I see the whole movie (maybe even that can be explained away...we'll see!).

OneBuckFilms....GREAT job of showing that anything can be explained, as long as you open your mind up to the possibility!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
Someone on another thread brought up the point that some stick shifts differ per car, so it is possible he doesn't know how to drive that particular one. Also, wasn't he having problems with the clutch?

You hit on the ONLY thing that bothers me, and that's Chekov. That one is a little hard to get, but I'll let it go until I see the whole movie (maybe even that can be explained away...we'll see!).

OneBuckFilms....GREAT job of showing that anything can be explained, as long as you open your mind up to the possibility!
Kirk was driving that car like a pro, shifting gears, handling the slide, timing everything to the split second!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister2 View Post
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=white]Canon Shmanon…
Perhaps you're unaware that "Canon Shmanon" was the watchword of "the whole “Enterprise” fluke" and the reason why Trek was on death's door. That no one who wasn't already a fan of Star Trek gave a damn about B&B's aborted attempt to pander to the lowest common denominator, and that existing fans were for the most part offended and appalled by that very low aim for Star Trek. Of course, horny teenaged idiots glommed onto the "boobies in a tight shirt and things going boom and pretty lights Comedy Hour" like nobody's business, but Nielsen didn't give a damn and neither did Paramount.

Of course you're unaware; otherwise, you wouldn't be clamoring and wetting yourself with glee over the fact that Abrams is about to do exactly that same thing once again.

Trek is dead. This film can most charitably be considered the mercy killing.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Kirk was driving that car like a pro, shifting gears, handling the slide, timing everything to the split second!
True, but I can drive stick, and if you threw me into a 1930's automobile, I might stumble around a little too...

And I found the quote...by Jerhanner:

Besides, didn't the Studebaker shift on the column while the sportscar shifts on the floor? Even if they're both on the floor, the clutches would probably be totally different animals. I drive my standard just fine, but I stall my brother's Miata at almost every red light.

Problem solved!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Wow, you really are pissed aren't you?
Please don't get him started again (picturing Liv with a sharp stick, poking the sleeping bear....)

Old 11-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
Please don't get him started again (picturing Liv with a sharp stick, poking the sleeping bear....)
You're right, don't know what I was thinking. Seen Mr. Giggles lately?

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"