The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Damn the Canon - full speed ahead!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Ensign

LOL... I remember watching TMP and the scene where they timed the Enterprise speed to enter the V'Ger ship. My buddy and I looked at each other and say "Did they just fly into the ship's sphincter??" It was in the *** end, if you recall...

Yeah, they didn't care about canon - Eliza brings up some more good points... so this is a reboot. They used canon as talking points - not scripture - oh well, artistic license I guess

A "new" Trek, if you will, I just hope it's good. Then we'll have two types of Trek. AJJ and BJJ (After JJ and Before JJ) versions. lol
Old 11-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Holy...Dear...God....

It is just a TV show. Please...stop with the river of tears over canon already.
If you don't want to be involved in conversations like this one, then don't come to "The Official Star Trek Movie Forum" which is going to be full of conversations like that.

*****ing about this is like going to a calculus class and whining about all the math.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindari View Post
Guess JJ truly made his own Star Trek canon....

Got these tid-bits from a New York Times article...
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...trek-movie/?hp

These were the four scenes shown after the preview premiere....

1. The young James T. Kirk (played by Chris Pine) is drinking forlornly at a bar in 23rd century Iowa (where they still serve Budweiser). Without much success, he flirts with a young Starfleet recruit named Uhura (Zoe Saldana) and picks a fight with four Starfleet grunts who clobber him. Kirk’s bravado impresses another Starfleet officer, Captain Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood), who knew Kirk’s late father, and goads Kirk into joining the Starfleet Academy. “Your father was the captain of a starship for 12 minutes,” Pike tells him. “He saved 800 lives, including your mother’s. Including yours. I dare you to do better.”

Ok - Kirk hooks up with Uhura before he enlists into Starfleet? Being ex-military myself that don't fly. The Academy has to be a four year thing... Uhura would be that far ahead of Kirk in rank - unless she's a scrub officer. Unless some fluke field promotion jumps him over Uhura to helm the Enterprise - it doesn't work that way.
From what I've read, that is exactly what happens to Kirk. A lot of the film, he's not the Captain, and the Crew are working under Christopher Pike.

- Kirk is qualified, but not allowed to serve due to missteps at the Academy (Kobayashi Maru? Sleeping with the Admiral's daughter?).
- Something happens to Pike, leaving Spock as Kirk, and Kirk taking First Officer position in an emergency assignment by Pike.
- After getting "ejected" to an icy planet and meeting the older Spock, he then proves Spock unfit for command by exposing his emotional side, so that he can put a stop to Nero's big plans (revealed by older spock).

Quote:
2. A medical officer named McCoy (Karl Urban) helps smuggle Kirk aboard the starship Enterprise by injecting him with a vaccine that induces the symptoms of a mysterious disease. While his hands and tongue swell up, Kirk races around the ship, trying to convince the crew they’re about to enter a trap set by the nefarious Romulans. We get our first glimpse of the young Mr. Spock (Zachary Quinto of television’s “Heroes,” in a mop-top haircut and pointy ears), as well as Spock’s human mother (Winona Ryder) and the Romulan bad guy Nero (Eric Bana, in heavy-duty prosthetic makeup).

This is a bit of a stretch too. Why would McCoy do this for Kirk against Cpt Pike?
McCoy is a friend of Kirk's, not Pike's at the time. McCoy's loyalties are more entrenched with Kirk.

Quote:
3. The Enterprise jettisons Kirk on a remote ice planet, where he meets the aged, future incarnation of Spock (ladies and gentlemen, Mister Leonard Nimoy!) as well as a young Starfleet engineer named Montgomery Scott (Simon Pegg). With Old Spock’s help, Scotty completes a mathematical formula that permits living beings to be teleported onto vessels moving at warp speed. (Of course.) As Kirk and Scotty prepare to beam back onto the Enterprise, Kirk wonders if time-traveling and peeking into the future is cheating; Old Spock tells him it’s “a trick I learned from an old friend.”

Another futzing of the space-time storyline. As in ST:IV where they introduced "transparent aluminum" ahead of it's time. It troubles me when they do this kind of stuff. If they know back then what they just developed now - doesn't that change time significantly???
Why? How do you know he didn't invent the bloody thing?

Quote:
4. In a lengthy action sequence, Kirk, Sulu (John Cho) and a third, red-shirted Starfleet recruit (don’t get too attached to him) parachute from the upper atmosphere of the planet Vulcan onto a giant drill that is burrowing a hole to the center of the planet. Kirk and Sulu disable the drill, but not before it drops a charge into the planet’s core. Back on the Enterprise, Spock realizes that the charge, when detonated, will create a black hole where his home world used to be – and he now has mere minutes to evacuate the planet’s entire population.

What happened to transporting?? Is this yet another "jumping the space dunebuggy" like we had in Nemesis???
It could be that the Transporters are limited, and the chaos would make it impossible to lock on to the Vulcan high council, etc.

He's about to see his entire home world and family destroyed, and he isn't thinking as rationally as he should as a Vulcan.

This is a younger Spock, not as in control of his emotions, and still learning how.

Quote:
I'm going to go see this. But I'm not sure I'll be as excited to see canon disregarded in such a way...
This Trek will take some getting used to, but I suspect the devil will be in the unrevealed details.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Dumping canon will set Star Trek free.

As long as they keep certain things like warp drive, transporters, Starfleet, Romulans, Klingons etc...everything else can be restarted.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Vice Admiral

Agreed With HRH The KING

Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
As for the rank - being ex military - Kirk's sudden promotion doesn't fly, mate. Someone in command has to have some seasoning - if any - and any "trial by fire" period cannot overcome that... sorry...
friend, you forget one thing, we're talking about James Tiberius ****ing Kirk here!!!

haha
Old 11-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tortel! View Post
friend, you forget one thing, we're talking about James Tiberius ****ing Kirk here!!!
I missed that when Young Kirk gave his name to the policeman in the trailer.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I missed that when Young Kirk gave his name to the policeman in the trailer.
did you? it is breif, ya gotta keep an ear out for it...
Old 11-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

Now that most of us hear the T in Tiberius, I'll focus on listening for the expletive deleted now.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

People seem to forget that TNG by many was considered a "re-envisioning" of Star Trek, and some of those found it unacceptable. But what happened? A new generation of fan was born, 3 new series because of TNG, countless books, 4 TNG movies. All with plenty of "canon" screw ups.

I see no major canon violations happening in this new movie because the past is affected by a time traveling romulan and a vulcan. So of course the history of how the TOS crew started out will be different. Makes perfect sense and I think will work well. How can it go wrong with Spock pulling the strings to get things back on track?

I can live with the way the crew met and came together being changed by time travel from the future as long as it doesn't create any major reprecussions to the rest of what we know about TOS.

So who cares if they see a romulan before Balance of Terror. Such knowledge really wouldn't change much about that episode except for the "Spock/Styles" subplot in the episode. (It is Styles right?)

All I ask is everyone give this film a fair shake by going to see it then deciding if the changes are personally acceptable or not.

And...

Canon be damned!

Last edited by Ferrous : 11-19-2008 at 06:37 PM.