The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Damn the Canon - full speed ahead!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Ensign

Thumbs down Damn the Canon - full speed ahead!!!

Guess JJ truly made his own Star Trek canon....

Got these tid-bits from a New York Times article...
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...trek-movie/?hp

These were the four scenes shown after the preview premiere....

1. The young James T. Kirk (played by Chris Pine) is drinking forlornly at a bar in 23rd century Iowa (where they still serve Budweiser). Without much success, he flirts with a young Starfleet recruit named Uhura (Zoe Saldana) and picks a fight with four Starfleet grunts who clobber him. Kirk’s bravado impresses another Starfleet officer, Captain Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood), who knew Kirk’s late father, and goads Kirk into joining the Starfleet Academy. “Your father was the captain of a starship for 12 minutes,” Pike tells him. “He saved 800 lives, including your mother’s. Including yours. I dare you to do better.”

Ok - Kirk hooks up with Uhura before he enlists into Starfleet? Being ex-military myself that don't fly. The Academy has to be a four year thing... Uhura would be that far ahead of Kirk in rank - unless she's a scrub officer. Unless some fluke field promotion jumps him over Uhura to helm the Enterprise - it doesn't work that way.

2. A medical officer named McCoy (Karl Urban) helps smuggle Kirk aboard the starship Enterprise by injecting him with a vaccine that induces the symptoms of a mysterious disease. While his hands and tongue swell up, Kirk races around the ship, trying to convince the crew they’re about to enter a trap set by the nefarious Romulans. We get our first glimpse of the young Mr. Spock (Zachary Quinto of television’s “Heroes,” in a mop-top haircut and pointy ears), as well as Spock’s human mother (Winona Ryder) and the Romulan bad guy Nero (Eric Bana, in heavy-duty prosthetic makeup).

This is a bit of a stretch too. Why would McCoy do this for Kirk against Cpt Pike?

3. The Enterprise jettisons Kirk on a remote ice planet, where he meets the aged, future incarnation of Spock (ladies and gentlemen, Mister Leonard Nimoy!) as well as a young Starfleet engineer named Montgomery Scott (Simon Pegg). With Old Spock’s help, Scotty completes a mathematical formula that permits living beings to be teleported onto vessels moving at warp speed. (Of course.) As Kirk and Scotty prepare to beam back onto the Enterprise, Kirk wonders if time-traveling and peeking into the future is cheating; Old Spock tells him it’s “a trick I learned from an old friend.”

Another futzing of the space-time storyline. As in ST:IV where they introduced "transparent aluminum" ahead of it's time. It troubles me when they do this kind of stuff. If they know back then what they just developed now - doesn't that change time significantly???

4. In a lengthy action sequence, Kirk, Sulu (John Cho) and a third, red-shirted Starfleet recruit (don’t get too attached to him) parachute from the upper atmosphere of the planet Vulcan onto a giant drill that is burrowing a hole to the center of the planet. Kirk and Sulu disable the drill, but not before it drops a charge into the planet’s core. Back on the Enterprise, Spock realizes that the charge, when detonated, will create a black hole where his home world used to be – and he now has mere minutes to evacuate the planet’s entire population.

What happened to transporting?? Is this yet another "jumping the space dunebuggy" like we had in Nemesis???

I'm going to go see this. But I'm not sure I'll be as excited to see canon disregarded in such a way...
Old 11-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Holy...Dear...God....

It is just a TV show. Please...stop with the river of tears over canon already.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Vice Admiral

Good point on the Uhura/Kirk rank thing. Unless he got fast-tracked?

I'm more concerned that they're still serving Bud. What about Chimay or Pilsner Urquell?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Midshipman

Let's be even more realistic. Canon will not apply in this movie.

As soon as I found out they were making this movie, and they signed on an actor to play Pavel Chekov (who was one of the first to be signed), I knew that they would NOT follow canon right away.

Like Tomcat said, it's just a TV show. Let's enjoy this movie and not worry about canon.

By the way, the trailer was great.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Good point on the Uhura/Kirk rank thing. Unless he got fast-tracked?

I'm more concerned that they're still serving Bud. What about Chimay or Pilsner Urquell?
Now there's a concern! Why isn't BUDWEISER out of business in the 22nd?

Surely some of those WW3 mega bombs would have hit their key facilities...thereby rendering most North American men extinct anyway due to not having access to beer.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Federation Councillor

It's not so hard -

Kirk was supposed to be a rapidly promoted officer, so he could indeed skip ahead of Uhura. - no canon issues.

I'd assume (until seeing it) the film explains McCoy's actions - not necessarily a canon issue.

Scotty is working on a way of improving transporter tech, not inventing it from scratch. It's a side project previously unknown - no canon issues.

Likely the energy beam will interfere with transporter lock, or the effects of the black hole would - no canon issues.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

I thought Tryla Scott was the youngest Captain

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Kirk fast tracking ahead in rank is probably the least of the concerns in my book. McCoy smuggling Kirk aboard doesn't seem to make any sense, but maybe we're shy some facts what with the movie not being out and all... Kevin's pretty well explained why we can't call any of these obvious canon problems....

BUT, in TOS Kirk specifically says that he met Pike "when he was promoted to Fleet Captain"....not "when I was fresh out of the Academy and smuggled aboard the brand new Enterprise "(which, was supposed to be at least 11 years old when Kirk came on board).....

okay, maybe they can work out a way to make that right....maybe the whole event is declared super top secret, all mention of Romulans is wiped from the books, all references to the festive first flight of the new Enterprise are wiped from the books and everyone is given cover stories to repeat for the rest of their lives or something....

But, what sort of horrible brain damage happened that cause Kirk to forget how to drive a stick shift? Or, that he'd even driven one before? (in A Piece of the Action he doesn't say "relax, I used to drive one of these when I was a kid" ...heck, Spock has to tell him about the clutch!)

Okay, I admit that's minor.

Chekov being onboard is really a problem. I can't work out a way that Chekov could be anything more than a 10 year old boy when the Enterprise was built.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Ensign

No river of tears - just resigned disappointment....

I still remember the let down of ST:TMP. The story line was hokey - the new uniforms were odd - there were loooooooooong drawn out scenes that were suppose to be awe inspiring but were just plain boring - and all the action wrapped up in the last 20 mins of a 2 hr+ movie.

Then ST:WOK hit and whoa!?!?!

And not to truly belabor a point - but you gotta understand - us long-timers in the Trek universe have gotten to know and appreciate it in a way well... it's like this...

You have a loved one you've known all your life and suddenly a stranger walks in and says "Hey it's me!" It's tuff to embrace.

So it boils down to this... will it excite and thrill like Khan? or disappoint like TMP?

We'll all find out come May, eh?

As for the rank - being ex military - Kirk's sudden promotion doesn't fly, mate. Someone in command has to have some seasoning - if any - and any "trial by fire" period cannot overcome that... sorry...
Old 11-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindari View Post
No river of tears - just resigned disappointment....

I still remember the let down of ST:TMP. The story line was hokey - the new uniforms were odd - there were loooooooooong drawn out scenes that were suppose to be awe inspiring but were just plain boring - and all the action wrapped up in the last 20 mins of a 2 hr+ movie.

Then ST:WOK hit and whoa!?!?!

And not to truly belabor a point - but you gotta understand - us long-timers in the Trek universe have gotten to know and appreciate it in a way well... it's like this...

You have a loved one you've known all your life and suddenly a stranger walks in and says "Hey it's me!" It's tuff to embrace.

So it boils down to this... will it excite and thrill like Khan? or disappoint like TMP?

We'll all find out come May, eh?

As for the rank - being ex military - Kirk's sudden promotion doesn't fly, mate. Someone in command has to have some seasoning - if any - and any "trial by fire" period cannot overcome that... sorry...
All good points. But as is becoming more and more apparent, they don't matter, and few if any care that they don't.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."