The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Poll: Would you boycott?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you support a boycott of Trek XI?
Yes 2 1.64%
No 30 24.59%
Not Sure 4 3.28%
What a horrible idea! 86 70.49%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2008, 04:03 AM
Lieutenant

A boycott?

If you're seriously that pessimistic about this movie and seeing it on the big screen, please keep your money so we don't have to see your scowl in the theatre before the lights go down!

Old 11-27-2008, 04:33 AM
Ensign

This Movie is the only the Star Trek franchise will survive.
To the general public Star Trek is gone. It is just for crazy fans.
This Movie will pull it into the mainstream conscious & bring on board new blood & new life to the stuffy old franchise.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Lieutenant

I expect I will see it, but probably not right away (unless someone buys me a ticket), because I'll wait for some reviews first.

I did the same thing with Nemesis after being burned with the experience of Insurrection. When the reviews for Nemesis were poor I didn't go and see it, and finally saw it a couple of years later on DVD. If the reviews for Trek 11 are good from people whose opinions I trust, I'll give it a go.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Eyes View Post
I expect I will see it, but probably not right away (unless someone buys me a ticket), because I'll wait for some reviews first.

I did the same thing with Nemesis after being burned with the experience of Insurrection. When the reviews for Nemesis were poor I didn't go and see it, and finally saw it a couple of years later on DVD. If the reviews for Trek 11 are good from people whose opinions I trust, I'll give it a go.

Then you are not a fan! This film needs to be a hit to keep Trek alive, it needs your ticket money. Like this individual movie or not if you are a fan and want to save Trek you need to go. Simple as that.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamLX View Post
Then you are not a fan! This film needs to be a hit to keep Trek alive, it needs your ticket money. Like this individual movie or not if you are a fan and want to save Trek you need to go. Simple as that.
Such an emotional stand is illogical. To assail one's status as a fan simply because they do not rush in to throw their cash at something they feel uncertain of is disturbing.

Some fans feel it illogical to accept just anything with "TREK" on it.

I value these fans also. In the name of IDIC... If it bothers you... You can pay twice.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Commander

[quote=williamLX;122945]Then you are not a fan! This film needs to be a hit to keep Trek alive, it needs your ticket money. Like this individual movie or not if you are a fan and want to save Trek you need to go. Simple as that.

Woah dude, actually if the movie ends up sucking why should we see it blindly? Just to save the name Star Trek?, I seriously hope your being sarcastic.

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:

To know me is to love me, William.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Midshipman

Thumbs up Why would you boycott this film?

If they want to do a reboot and it's a good movie, I say go for it!

I've been watching Star Trek through all incarnations since the early 70s when I was 5 at my father's knee. I loved the show, cheesy overacting and cardboard sets aside, and I loved the sequel shows even more.

However, ever since I saw what a reboot could do to a tired cheesy franchise (BSG anyone?), I always hoped that with good writing, good actors, and the same quality special effects that were brought to BSG could revive a TV and movie classic.

If the same crowd that tried to shoot down BSG wants to sit at home angry at Paramount for updating Star Trek, then that's fine by me. That'll leave more seating at the theater for me
Old 11-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Ensign

http://www.startrekmovie.com/downloa...s/d31_1920.jpg
Old 11-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

[quote=radoskal;122989]
Quote:

Woah dude, actually if the movie ends up sucking why should we see it blindly? Just to save the name Star Trek?, I seriously hope your being sarcastic.

Yeah, you have a point. We're not really going to know if it sucks without going and seeing it though. I tend not to pay attention to any reviews as it helps me to make up my own mind.

I like Star Trek so I'll go and see it regardless of the reviews it might get. If it sucks then at least I'll have given it a chance by going along and seeing it.

Of course, if it sucks I'll be straight on here telling everybody not to go see it and save their money!

What can I say? I've double standards to live up to!