The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Poll: Would you boycott?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you support a boycott of Trek XI?
Yes 2 1.64%
No 30 24.59%
Not Sure 4 3.28%
What a horrible idea! 86 70.49%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
The Lord of the Rings: A Tower and Possibly Another Tower Too, if You're OK with That Sort of Thing
Your one is funnier!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The reason why Saint refrenced Star Wars Episode 1-3 is because the trailers for these films were incredibly miss leading creating a sense of excitement the the films themselves utterly fail to accomplish. They captilized on typical draws to capture they're audience for a product that was lacking in substance, intelligence or logic.
That would be true if that was what he was saying, but it's not. He's saying he knows exactly what is in the movie by watching a trailer. He's not talking about his excitement level, or being let down by the trailer.

And wouldn't you have already have had to seen the movie in order to judge if the trailer was misleading? This really doesn't pertain to what we are talking about here.....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
The Lord of the Rings: A Tower and Possibly Another Tower Too, if You're OK with That Sort of Thing
I didn't know that...pretty ridiculous. And I think your title would have went over just fine!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
That would be true if that was what he was saying, but it's not. He's saying he knows exactly what is in the movie by watching a trailer. He's not talking about his excitement level, or being let down by the trailer.

And wouldn't you have already have had to seen the movie in order to judge if the trailer was misleading? This really doesn't pertain to what we are talking about here.....

Yes, that's true but it's not too say that one can't accurately predict a movie such as this from the director's other films and the substance of those trailers.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Yes, that's true but it's not too say that one can't accurately predict a movie such as this from the director's other films and the substance of those trailers.
I would agree that you could watch the trailer, and based on it and trailers/movies from the same director predict what you THINK the movie is going to be like, but to say for absolute certainty?

That's what the issue is....saying you will not see a movie because you know EXACTLY what is going to happen in the movie based off what you viewed in a 2 1/2 minute trailer and your knowledge of the director's previous work is ridiculous.

Let's see the movie...then we can decide!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Rear Admiral

I think that anyone who says that they are "too loyal" to Star Trek or are "hardcore" fans and need canon to be perfect are the worst fans of all, and really need re-evaluate their values... cuz a true fan will see Trek through, even if it's not what they're used to.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Commander

It's alright to have skepticism, even dislike of the trailer if you like, but to not even give the full running of the movie a fair chance because of a few bits of promo material, that is wrong.

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Commander

I will see this movie. I want Trek to go on. What troubles me is younger fans sounding like they feel that The Original Star Trek is irrelevant to modern audiences and can just be dismissed. I want Trek to evolve but I don't want my Trek and my Enterprise written off just because of analog controls or the model isn't impressive enough for them.

Dated? Sure... Irrelevant? Hardly.

"Young minds fresh ideas?" Sure! But your elders have wisdom too.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
I will see this movie. I want Trek to go on. What troubles me is younger fans sounding like they feel that The Original Star Trek is irrelevant to modern audiences and can just be dismissed. I want Trek to evolve but I don't want my Trek and my Enterprise written off just because of analog controls or the model isn't impressive enough for them.

Damn right

-Free Enterprise
Old 11-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post

I think I fall into the older young fans (being 33), and I can say that I would never feel that TOS is irrelevant.

I've always said that years from now if they did a new TNG (my 1st intro into Trek, and as a result my fave) I would be just as attentive as TOS fans are to their details....but I would also be very open to the changes that would alter what I know to be TNG.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:00 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
I'd be willing to wager that those who claim they will boycott will still see it within 5 days of it opening.

My grandma used to call such behavior "Cutting off your nose to spite your face."
I think you are right.