The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Poll: Would you boycott?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you support a boycott of Trek XI?
Yes 2 1.64%
No 30 24.59%
Not Sure 4 3.28%
What a horrible idea! 86 70.49%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Precisely, how can anyone be a true Star Trek fan and not be open to seeing this film? There are always possibilities, as Spock said, therefore some Trekkies need to have an open mind!
I feel the same way. I actually used the phrase "true fan" as well. Be careful. Some may not like our point of view on this.

To answer your question: I don't think you can boycott this movie AND be a true Trek fan. True Trek fans may have likes and dislikes, but they remain open minded. I too have voiced many concernd about this movie, but I WILL be there on opening night!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I feel the same way. I actually used the phrase "true fan" as well. Be careful. Some may not like our point of view on this.

To answer your question: I don't think you can boycott this movie AND be a true Trek fan. True Trek fans may have likes and dislikes, but they remain open minded. I too have voiced many concernd about this movie, but I WILL be there on opening night!
Indeed, I will be there as well.

However, I chose my words poorly initially, since being a True Trek fan is variable based on one's thoughts about the franchise in general. I just find it odd that people would be willing to give up and let the franchise die by not seeing the movie. Thankfully, based on the poll here, it looks like those few close-minded individuals are not a majority.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Boycott is a bit strong! If you don't like what you've saw so far then fair enough. Everybody's viewpoint is equally valid. It's still way to early to have any definite opinions.

So, everybody just enjoy the debate but let's not get too carried away, eh?

Ach, who am I kidding? Let the flaming commence!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty80 View Post
Boycott is a bit strong! If you don't like what you've saw so far then fair enough. Everybody's viewpoint is equally valid. It's still way to early to have any definite opinions.

So, everybody just enjoy the debate but let's not get too carried away, eh?

Ach, who am I kidding? Let the flaming commence!
The debate is quite one-sided honestly and I haven't noticed much flaming. It's clear that a majority (including myself) will not be boycotting and find it a horrible idea.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
The debate is quite one-sided honestly and I haven't noticed much flaming. It's clear that a majority (including myself) will not be boycotting and find it a horrible idea.
Yes I know. Was only my little joke!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Lieutenant

as capt kirk said in trek 6.... 'people can be very frightened of change'.

starbase Britain
Old 11-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Midshipman

Why would anyone want to boycott something that isn't even finished or released? Silly.
By the look of it, at least it won't diverge as far as the Enterprise series....
Old 11-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase Britain View Post
as capt kirk said in trek 6.... 'people can be very frightened of change'.

starbase Britain
Nice quote...I love it when people use Trek quotes that apply to our conversations on Trek! Always makes everyone step back and go..."Oh yeah....forgot he said that.."

Now if you were to quote a line outside of Trek, then it wouldnt have the same impact!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Indeed, I will be there as well.

However, I chose my words poorly initially, since being a True Trek fan is variable based on one's thoughts about the franchise in general.
Point of interest: the correct usage of the word 'true' is as one of the conditions in the binary set of 'true' and 'false.' Since one either is, or is not, a fan, the use of 'true' in defining existence or non-existence of an affiliation or social status is superfluous.

One either is a fan or one is not. For clarification, tell someone you took a false letter down to the true post office and see what kind of look you get.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Point of interest: the correct usage of the word 'true' is as one of the conditions in the binary set of 'true' and 'false.' Since one either is, or is not, a fan, the use of 'true' in defining existence or non-existence of an affiliation or social status is superfluous.

One either is a fan or one is not. For clarification, tell someone you took a false letter down to the true post office and see what kind of look you get.
I'm not unwell.