The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Eric Bana Future Guy from Enterprise?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Ensign

They should simply NOT incorporate time travel.

Nuff Said
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Midshipman

To be honest the only thing I dont agree with is what you said about B&B burying the franchise with Voyager. The problem with Voyager was the same problem they had with the original series. Both series astarted out very technical and scientific, which was fine, but then people started to get bored with that, so then they had to come up with monsters and hostile aliens, which gets boring too. Then they did a mix both, which was fine. This is where both series differ though. After the fourth season, TOS was cancelled. With VOY, seven came in and Kess left, which created a couple good stories for the crew, trying to acclimate themselves with a borg crewman, however, they kept running into the same problems that happened during the original series. There are only so many races and ides that can be thought up by about a couple of guys. And there are only so many time those races can be shown again and again, and only so many times the same situations can have a new twist on them before they start to show their age. To be honest, I believe they knew this, which is why they all of a sudden wrapped everything up so quickly over the last couple of episodes, because they knew that there was no way they could keep it going anymore. VOY was a great series, but people stopped watching because there are only so many times they possibly have a way home and it doesnt work before people get bored. The problem that keeps occurring with ST is that people's appeals are changing. TNG was a hit because it had been a while since another series was on TV. DS9 was a hit after the first couple of seasons because of the Dominion War, VOY was kind of a hit because everything that had been done on there with the exception of a couple of things had already been done by TOS and TNG.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Commander

I was disappointed they didn't bring Voyager home in either the 5th or 6th season because I think they could have made some really good episodes out of what happened to them when they got home. Another twist that I know was discussed but it didn't happen was to leave Voyager stranded in the delta quadrant in the last episode. It would have been kind of sad but it would have been a good twist.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Captain

More of the problem with TOS, especially 3rd season, was they fact the cast and crew knew the network was against them. The show had been renewed but was relegated to a dead-end time slot, which made clear to all on Trek that the network had little confidence in the show, then by the time the word finally came from NBC that the show was cancelled, there was a bit of the "play out the string" feeling though some still strived to make a good product.

Things would have been very different had NBC known they had more viewers than they thought...

Voyager I kind of figured would run out of gas, because after all, it was Star Trek's answer to Lost In Space...I didn't think it would resort to "hot-alien-babe-in-catsuit" to help pull it through...
Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Ensign

Ironically, it may have been the cancelation that sparked what was necessary to bring the show into poularity... a catalyst if you will.

possibly one of the reasons Star Trek faded away toward the release of Nemesis, was the fact that for a period of 18 years there was uninterupted Star Trek in one form or another... With the original series, fans missed it, and then when it came back in movie form people loved it.

Perhaps we are looking at a repeat of history here. but that would be waxing philosophical.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Ensign

I have to agree with the general consensus of this forum, TCW sucked big time, it was a pointless waste of time.

With reguards to the Romulan problem, well, there are at least half a dozen reasons why the Romulan's wouldn't want Kirk at the healm of the Enterprise. It could well have all started from Nemesis, the senate was thrown into chaos and had to ask the Federation for help, can you imagine how embarising that would be? Why not cripple the Federation by taking away its most inspirational captain? It would be the perfect answer to the problem if they knew already that there was no way they could win the Romulan-Federation war by changing history and by killing Kirk they stood a better chance of not just being bit players in the galaxy.

Maybe its Spock's mistake, by trying to unify the Vulcan's and Romulan's he inadvertantly told them exactly when Kirk was at his most vulnerable and they devised a plan to get rid of him, Spock gets wind of the plan and goes after them.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Commander

I joking said to a couple friends that the future guy was a disgruntled Wesley Crusher that was playing with the time line just because he could. Anything’s possible.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Ensign

I get such a headache when they do the time travel thing.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Ensign

Temperal mechanics is insanely complex. What makes it so much more difficult is when you jump you could go to a different dimention of the time period you are trying to get to, if this is time travel, it will be hitched on a Paradox, like First Contact was but with First Contact the paradox was set up, admitedly after FC with Regeneration (Ent) when they sent that subspace thing and said the Borg would come looking for us 300 years from that date and sort of solidified in Q Who (TNG) when Q warned, this is what awaits you and it was established the cube wa on its way to the Alpha quadrent, the great thing about Best of Both Worlds before anyone says about that is Picard adressed Earth as "sector zero-zero-one" and we know he had some form of conscious thought so he could of witheld the information. The subspace signal be sent by the Borg in 2152 was then recieved and a final assult on Earth, a time traveling assualt, now that they would know exact Earth history, assuming they didn't know already... assumption being the mother of all screw ups... went back in time to enslave us. Thats a paradox and irs complicated but it assentially says that Spock would go back knowing he had to go back in order to allow his universe to exist. What flies in the face of the paradox is End Game, that is just plain wrong and defies the time travel principles but we won't go there.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambelegohtar View Post
Temperal mechanics is insanely complex. What makes it so much more difficult is when you jump you could go to a different dimention of the time period you are trying to get to, if this is time travel, it will be hitched on a Paradox, like First Contact was but with First Contact the paradox was set up, admitedly after FC with Regeneration (Ent) when they sent that subspace thing and said the Borg would come looking for us 300 years from that date and sort of solidified in Q Who (TNG) when Q warned, this is what awaits you and it was established the cube wa on its way to the Alpha quadrent, the great thing about Best of Both Worlds before anyone says about that is Picard adressed Earth as "sector zero-zero-one" and we know he had some form of conscious thought so he could of witheld the information. The subspace signal be sent by the Borg in 2152 was then recieved and a final assult on Earth, a time traveling assualt, now that they would know exact Earth history, assuming they didn't know already... assumption being the mother of all screw ups... went back in time to enslave us. Thats a paradox and irs complicated but it assentially says that Spock would go back knowing he had to go back in order to allow his universe to exist. What flies in the face of the paradox is End Game, that is just plain wrong and defies the time travel principles but we won't go there.

See ............ headache.