The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > JJ throwing the canon out with the bathwater?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Or it's a downward spiral of Trek incarnations being produced by producers who don't give a rodent's posterior steadily diminishing what appeal Star Trek had, and this film will be the ultimate and final expression of the pattern, ending the thing with a weak, pathetic little bubble of sadness as it finally disappears down the drain.
Yes, it's all a giant conspiracy to flush millions of dollars down the drain by killing a venerable franchise on purpose.

Or, perhaps you're just against this film. Totally within your right to be, of course -- but then again you've made that same point several times already. This isn't going to be the TREK for you, that much is clear by now.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Captain

I kind of figured that a few of the things we're going to see in the movie aren't going to jive with what we know as Trek history.

I have also seen this with all of the other series...once in awhile they step on each other's toes, or contradict facts that have already been established.

It annoys me for about a nanosecond, then i go on enjoying the episode.

I also read ALL of the Star Trek books. Now most are not canon, and they have storylines that conflict with the episodes/movies, but I still enjoy them.

Bottom Line: People have been toying and manipulating Trek canon throughout it's history...so if there is a little bit more going on, so be it.

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Midshipman

Berman and Braga should have been let go when Voyager started down the tubes early on. After that, it became a cookie-cutter series that rehashed the same plots over and over with "technology" saving the day.

New blood should have people that NEVER had anything to do with the series at all and have honest, new ideas.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
Bottom Line: People have been toying and manipulating Trek canon throughout it's history...so if there is a little bit more going on, so be it.
Exactamundo!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Midshipman

One thing that comes to mind is at the beggining of TWOK, Khan recognized Checkov who wasn't even in the "Space Seed" episode. I think a fresh new start is in order. Heck in 20-30 years from now this new movie will be old by technological standards of that time. Maybe someone else will re-boot the franchise again.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Ensign

Well I guess we all need to agree that this is not Gene Roddenberries' Star Trek it is JJ abrams Star Trek. If that is the case then they should just take Star Trek out as well. All JJ has done is remade Top Gun in the future and slapped Star Trek in the title.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Captain

I guess the honeymoon is over . . . until the next trailer.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Vice Admiral

I hate to say this, but after reading the long article with very long descriptions of some scenes, I will have to consider this movie a complete new storyline if the article's details are true. I usually get over minor canon errors and brush them off. I am NOT one to create a new Trek universe everytime I am unhappy, but the errors described in the article are too much to ignore!! This movie HAS thrown out the majority of Trek's established history. I will support this movie and probably even enjoy it, but it will NOT be part of the Trek universe I know and love.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I hate to say this, but after reading the long article with very long descriptions of some scenes, I will have to consider this movie a complete new storyline if the article's details are true. I usually get over minor canon errors and brush them off. I am NOT one to create a new Trek universe everytime I am unhappy, but the errors described in the article are too much to ignore!! This movie HAS thrown out the majority of Trek's established history. I will support this movie and probably even enjoy it, but it will NOT be part of the Trek universe I know and love.

i agree!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Lieutenant

If Mr. Abrams retains a bunch of good stuff and works it into his story, great. I loves me some "easter eggs," as someone called them earlier. However, "Canon" in this case is a curse, not a blessing. Star Trek has built up TOO much of a history, so much that it's become restricting and far too heavy a weight upon a creator's back. It's a veritable shackle, preventing any sort of progression. And from what I've seen, a lot of folks would prefer to keep JJ "chained up," to to speak, for no good reason than to retain their comfortable little world and keep it from budging.

Honestly, what were you expecting? This is a modern, high-budget movie, set in the 23rd Century. Let's face it; perceptions of what the 23rd Century will, or might, be like, have drastically changed. My new cell phone is already far more advanced than TOS' flip-open communicators. Were we really expecting computer consoles to consist of switchboards and kaleidoscopes, just for the sake of almighty "canon?" As our modern-day "vision of the future" changes, so does Trek along with it.