The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > JJ throwing the canon out with the bathwater?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
If I had a penny every time someone assumes all canon is being thrown out, I'd have a fortune by now!!!
And if I had a dime for every time someone insisted it's not when every single piece of available evidence says it is, I'd buy Paramount and have the people responsible for this film publicly flogged as an apology to the fans.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Midshipman

Throughout the various incarnations of Trek (TOS, DS9, STV) the concepts of alternate timelines and alternate universes were well explored and often a great resource of fantastic story arcs. If through JJ's telling of this prequel, an alternate universe is explored that will reintroduce us to the same characters, with the same relationships but through different voyages... then I'm all for it. The original series was such a success because of the original cast, and if through this new vantage point, the public is given a chance to experience more Trek adventures, then I say go for it, JJ.

People need to get off the idea of this film going against canon, and look at it as portal to many more Trek movies to come. By the look of the trailer, this is going to be an instant success. Let's all keep an open mind about this, because after all... an open mind and a horizon full of possibilities through and endless imagination is the major foundation of the Star Trek Saga.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
And if I had a dime for every time someone insisted it's not when every single piece of available evidence says it is, I'd buy Paramount and have the people responsible for this film publicly flogged as an apology to the fans.
Why didn't you do that for the people who made Insurrection? That, I'd have given you the dime for.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Captain

Insurrection was a bad film with some atrocious moments; then again, as an odd-numbered Trek film, that was almost to be expected. Oddly enough, this is also an odd-numbered Trek film.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Federation Councillor

And Nemesis was even numbered, it should have been a greater success, per the same logic.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Captain

Should've been, had it not been B&B's usual copy & paste, mix 'n' match hack job, i.e. The Wrath Of Khan: The Next Generation.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Federation Councillor

True, however it also proves the 'pattern' is not a serious barometer of success, therefore the eleventh film can buck the trend.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Then NEMESIS blows that whole "odd film" theory out of the water. As if that's any rational reason to judge the merits of filmmaking anyway.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Captain

Or it's a downward spiral of Trek incarnations being produced by producers who don't give a rodent's posterior steadily diminishing what appeal Star Trek had, and this film will be the ultimate and final expression of the pattern, ending the thing with a weak, pathetic little bubble of sadness as it finally disappears down the drain.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Possibly, or it could do the opposite.