The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Now that everyone's had a good look, how do you all feel?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef* View Post
I have butterflies in my stomac ...

I feel "young".
Nice quotation, given the context of this new film!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Captain

I must say, after the promo-pic of the new ship felt like a punch in my stomach and made me seriously doubt to watch the movie at all, the trailer gave me a slight feeling of relief. And that is because the whole thing sure feels like Star Trek to me.

In addition, when was the last time we got to see a trailer for a sci-fi-fantasy-superhero-pocorn-genre movie that was that bright in lighting and collors? It feels amazingly refreshing to put my eyes on a sci-fi trailer that does not make the appearance of a hazy underground garage during a districtwide power blackout.

If the movie would hit cinemas tomorrow, I sure would buy a ticket.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I loved the trailer. It lived up to my every expectation from reading every scrap of info I could google on this film since it's announcement.

I feel like Trek has been thrown a lifeline and is being brought into a whole new dimension by JJ Abrams and company.

I hate to say this to the hardcore trekkie geeks out there but the vast majority of us fans are willing to accept that the canon has gotten too involved and convoluted to follow to the nth degree. That a reverence for the characters and what has gone before is important to us as a basis to work from but we are certainly open to new interpretatoins of that foundation.

The critical thing is being true to the charactes Gene Roddenberry created and I believe without a doubt that has been done.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlad View Post
I loved the trailer. It lived up to my every expectation from reading every scrap of info I could google on this film since it's announcement.

I feel like Trek has been thrown a lifeline and is being brought into a whole new dimension by JJ Abrams and company.

I hate to say this to the hardcore trekkie geeks out there but the vast majority of us fans are willing to accept that the canon has gotten too involved and convoluted to follow to the nth degree. That a reverence for the characters and what has gone before is important to us as a basis to work from but we are certainly open to new interpretatoins of that foundation.

The critical thing is being true to the charactes Gene Roddenberry created and I believe without a doubt that has been done.
+1 to that, totally agree. There are Fans, and there are Purists. The purists couldbe missing out on something really good here
Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
what did JJ say that so offended?

Ive been a fan of trek ever since i can remember, and im really looking forward to something new for the franchise. If we, the diehards, and the general moving going public get behind the film then star trek will be back, but if we, the diehards, sit and sulk cos JJAbrams didnt make the bridge look like a 60's tv set then maybe we are not the fans we think we are?
He said he did not make this film for the "old", he made it for future Trek fans. Therefore calling us "old", as if we were obsolete or something, and also implying, that it was made exclusively for the young, new, vibrant fans of the genre' and not for us tried and true fans, because we no longer matter. I have to say, that smarted a bit. I wonder if J.J. ever watched "Galaxy Quest"? That film showed how much it hurt when a Trekkie/Trekker was snubbed and berated by someone involved in the making of the series/films that they looked up to. We're sending up those rockets J.J., so your film can make a safe landing, how about a little recognition and thank you for it?

Last edited by MonsieurHood : 11-18-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
"I want fans of Star Trek to come watch it, but the truth is I made the movie for future fans," Abrams said at the presentation in a Rome theater.
hardly a snub is it?

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ol81gD94EQMBG0
Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Federation Councillor

Thing is, he's never denied that so he can't be accused of anything other than doing what he intended.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

indeed. if the film is as good as other stuff he does, then all fine.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

"Bunch of old, useless garbage..."
- Scotty, referring not only to the Jenolan's systems but to himself as well "Just 'cause something's old doesn't mean you throw it away."
- La Forge, referring not only to the Jenolan's systems but to Scotty as well I try to look at it like the every changing world of technology. New stuff is released to replace/improve upon old stuff but that doesn't mean the old stuff wasn't good...just time for new.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

My guess is that a lot of "old" TREK fans will become "new" TREK fans, and enjoy both (all) incarnations.

This endless need for the fanbase to cut itself into separate classes and categories is one main reason why Paramount and JJ would *have to* expand the fanbase to attract many new enthusiasts, just for the franchise to survive beyond one more film.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!