The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Now that everyone's had a good look, how do you all feel?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Commander

Default Now that everyone's had a good look, how do you all feel?

Now that the trailer has been released, viewed and scrutinized, what are all of you folks feelings and expectations toward the film? Are you surprised, shocked, horrified or elated, excited and amused? Do you still have faith in Abrams and Co.? Is this the beginning of a new kind of Star Trek, and is this the end of fandom as we know it? Please, feel free to express yourselves.

Here goes for me.
1. I like the feel that the trailer leaves you with. There is much to be glad about when it comes to characters, costumes, and sets. Also, the quality of acting seems to be good and the actors seem to be taking their roles seriously. Paramount has not been afraid to budget this film to give it the kind of on screen punch that so many sci-fi films have lacked, because the genre has heretofore been considered a cheap way to sell tickets.
2. There is something to be sad about as well. Abrams seeming rejection of old fans in his speech in Spain, seems to be causing those relatively new to Star Trek and hoping for a cool sci-fi action picture, to deride and heckle us old tried and true fans of Star Trek. It feels as if we ourselves, and the things that made Star Trek great (and there were many) are being left to be blown away by the prevailing winds, like so much dust in a desert breeze. I don't like being treated like a meaningless, doddering old fogey. I don't like not being listened to, like I don't count.

I was watching "Generations" a couple of mornings ago. And I can't remember it verbatim, but at the end, when Picard and Ryker were digging the ships log out the debris that was left of the bridge of the 1701-D. The dialogue from the time they found the log until they beamed up to the rescuing starship touched me deeply. I wish someone could post it, because it was exactly what I was feeling. As if it wasn't the end, but was the beginning of something different, but not necessarily better. The trailer makes Star Trek XI look like a rousing action sci-fi film that will keep you on the edge of your chair and keenly interested, but I can't help but wonder whether any of the old virtue, classiness, spirit and emotion of the old Star Trek will be present in the new. I hope that Star Trek XI, will be a little more than just a cool, action/sci-fi film. And that it will be a bit more than just a vehicle for ticket sales. After seeing the full trailer, I have some hope that it will be.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Captain

Default Did I see the same trailer as everyone else?

There is no doubt that the amount of action in this film will blow away every Trek movie that came before it. I can clearly see what JJ meant when he said he wanted to bring some Star Wars character to the movie. What I'm thinking though is how everyone is talking about the amazing acting/characters/portrayals based on the incredibly sparce dialogue and the microseconds of interaction between people in the trailer. That thing blew right by me and I really had to watch it slowly to appreciate everything that was being shown. There were so few frames of each different action scene that I think they may as well have been a collection of stills. I don't have any more appreciation for the story than I did before. The purpose of this trailer seems to me to be to draw people's attention, to get them interested, to want to see more about the acting/characters/portrayals, etc, and I'm sure it was done that way on purpose.

Agreed, the effects will be the biggest treat I have seen since May of 1977, but beyond an appreciation of all the visuals, I'm still don't know a lot. Quite frankly, I think that these days, awesome special effects are pretty ubiquitous in sci-fi movies. We've all been saying how much we care about the story, and this trailer is still keeping all that a secret. Without question, this film will deliver visually. Have all my concerns been put to rest? Hardly.

Sorry to rain on the parade.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

This trailer defenately gets me excited for the new film. Visually, the film looks fantastic! I love the new transporter effect and the new Enterprise is starting to grow on me.
The bridge looks quite a bit different than the TOS bridge, but I think it will prove to be an improvement.
I really like the shots of Bana as Nero. Nero might be my favorite character in the movie. He remindes me of the Emperor in Star Wars.
There are also some questions and concerns that the trailer brought up:

1. We finally got to see a quick view of Chris Pine as Kirk in command Gold. I'm still confident in Pine's abilities but he just looks very young to be captain of a star ship. I'm hoping the story shows that Kirk is ready to be captain at such a young age. Another theory is that it is a temporary assignment as captain.

2. The sex scene. I know Kirk is a ladies' man but in my opinion there is no room for a steamy bedroom scene in Star Trek. There was one in Nemesis but it was an important part of a story and was at least a married couple. I showed the trailer to a friend and she thought it looked like a fun movie for her son to see but was concerned about the sex stuff in the movie.

3. It appears they have a lot of story to cover in a movie that is 2 hrs or less. I hope they don't cut too many scenes, I'll sit in a theater for 4 hrs to watch new Star Trek.

4. The monster at 1:38 remindes me of Starship Troopers.

5. Where are they building the Enterprise? I can accept the building on Earth idea. But I really hope it is being built at least close to San Francisco!

6. There is going to be a lot of action in this movie. I just hope they don't sacrafice other important aspects such as character development and character relationships for more action.

Last edited by aef6259 : 11-17-2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Captain

See I think there's room for a steamy bedroom scene in any movie. Don't forget Troi shaving Riker in the bathtub in Insurerection (did I spell that right)?. My question is: who's he about to shag? Looks like Uhura's bedroom.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
See I think there's room for a steamy bedroom scene in any movie. Don't forget Troi shaving Riker in the bathtub in Insurerection (did I spell that right)?. My question is: who's he about to shag? Looks like Uhura's bedroom.

Its an Orion Girl.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Federation Councillor

I think it looks amazing, and I continue to not feel worried about the fact new people are running the show. I've watched the trailer several times now, and I really can't wait to what story they've crafted around that awesome action!!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Midshipman

After watching the trailer I was excited. After reading several web sites and boards I was kind of brought down by the negative vibe going on. Since I was a kid ive seen every Trek thats been out , the good the bad and the ugly lol . But even if a movie or series wasnt that great heck it was still ST so that made up for alot .

Hearing that the franchise that ive loved since I was a kid was coming back out with a movie after I thought the franchise was dead in the water put a smile on my face. After reading about what JJA ideas for the new movie where I went into the teaser with an open mind and was pleasently surprised. Then after watching the new trailer Im excited as heck.

Now this is for all the negative vibers out there that call themselves "fans" . We havnt had a good ST movie since what ??? First Contact..... heck we are lucky to have a ST movie coming out at all after the movies have bombed so much . If this movie can with its revamped Enterprise,exciting action and minor changes (such as a Romulan with tatoos ). Recharge a franchise that we all have loved for so long .

Isnt that but a small price to pay from a purist stand point to enter the universe that so entralled us when we where young .

Greyhands
Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhands View Post
After watching the trailer I was excited. After reading several web sites and boards I was kind of brought down by the negative vibe going on. Since I was a kid ive seen every Trek thats been out , the good the bad and the ugly lol . But even if a movie or series wasnt that great heck it was still ST so that made up for alot .

Hearing that the franchise that ive loved since I was a kid was coming back out with a movie after I thought the franchise was dead in the water put a smile on my face. After reading about what JJA ideas for the new movie where I went into the teaser with an open mind and was pleasently surprised. Then after watching the new trailer Im excited as heck.

Now this is for all the negative vibers out there that call themselves "fans" . We havnt had a good ST movie since what ??? First Contact..... heck we are lucky to have a ST movie coming out at all after the movies have bombed so much . If this movie can with its revamped Enterprise,exciting action and minor changes (such as a Romulan with tatoos ). Recharge a franchise that we all have loved for so long .

Isnt that but a small price to pay from a purist stand point to enter the universe that so entralled us when we where young .

Greyhands

Not, I think, a small price, but perhaps a necessary one. However, I would like to hear Abrams say something postitive about us long time Trekkies/Trekkers. It is largely we who have brought Star Trek as far as it has come, and we who have saved it from obscurity time and time again. Through our support and fandom, we have definitely made a difference in the length of Star Trek's lifespan. Had it not been for us, Star Trek might not have been important enough, or popular enough for anyone to bring back. It may have languished in obscurity forevermore, a mere footnote in television history, being played from time-to-time on TVLand. But our fervor, our interest, and our money have contributed to the longevity of Star Trek, perhaps not exclusively, but without doubt, significantly. I would like to hear Abrams aknowledge as much. If he's a class act, he will do so. It remains to be seen.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Not, I think, a small price, but perhaps a necessary one. However, I would like to hear Abrams say something postitive about us long time Trekkies/Trekkers. It is largely we who have brought Star Trek as far as it has come, and we who have saved it from obscurity time and time again. Through our support and fandom, we have definitely made a difference in the length of Star Trek's lifespan. Had it not been for us, Star Trek might not have been important enough, or popular enough for anyone to bring back. It may have languished in obscurity forevermore, a mere footnote in television history, being played from time-to-time on TVLand. But our fervor, our interest, and our money have contributed to the longevity of Star Trek, perhaps not exclusively, but without doubt, significantly. I would like to hear Abrams aknowledge as much. If he's a class act, he will do so. It remains to be seen.
But isnt JJA aknowledging us long time fans by just taking on such an enormous task as to try and please a certain group of fans?

Greyhands
Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Ensign

IF JJ pulls this of he'll have done Trekkies the ultimate favourL he'll have made us socially acceptable

DJE