The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Trekkies Against Torture
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
Never saw torture in TOS ???

Did you miss the Mirror Mirror episode ?

Anyway , i agree with Kai that if it's part of the story it should be in the film

Try to tell the TNG story "Chain of Command" without torture and youd get a nothing story becuse youd miss Patrick Stewarts great performance
Sigh... PLEASE read the original post? or the site. In fact there is a clip of Chain of Command there. the point is NOT to keep torture out, but not to justify it. Can you see the difference? Look at the clips on the site, or read the first post if you are still confused. In fact, I spoke to Patrick about that episode. Having worked with Amnesty International for 14 years I have met him on several occasions. I have also worked with torture survivors and have one in my family. Let me assure you all this campaign is NOT silly in any way. It i addressing a very REAL issue in our society, albeit in an arena dealing with fiction.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpaz View Post
Sigh... PLEASE read the original post? or the site. In fact there is a clip of Chain of Command there. the point is NOT to keep torture out, but not to justify it. Can you see the difference? Look at the clips on the site, or read the first post if you are still confused. In fact, I spoke to Patrick about that episode. Having worked with Amnesty International for 14 years I have met him on several occasions. I have also worked with torture survivors and have one in my family. Let me assure you all this campaign is NOT silly in any way. It i addressing a very REAL issue in our society, albeit in an arena dealing with fiction.
I was replying to the post , not the ideal .

It's good thing to be against torture , quite another to say that it was not in TOS

That was the post i was replying to , not the original

Please dont put words in my mouth i never said that this was silly

"Once you're inside , you will never want to leave"
Old 01-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Ensign

Default sorry

i didnt mean to say you said it was silly, i was replying to 2 posts at once.

it seemed very much like you had not read the original since i cited Chain of Command in it. sorry
Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Ensign

I think your concern is a bit overwrought. I'm sure the bad guys will be bad guys and the crew will be noble and upstanding.
For the time will come when men will not endure sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
2 Timothy 4:3
Old 01-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpaz View Post
i didnt mean to say you said it was silly, i was replying to 2 posts at once.

it seemed very much like you had not read the original since i cited Chain of Command in it. sorry
No problem .

It's easy to get posts confused .

"Once you're inside , you will never want to leave"
Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Ensign

I don't recall torture ever featuring in any incarnation of the show in the context of it being justifiable so I don't see what the panic is about....

....however, filmaking is are, not political statement and since I believe in the priciple of free speech I believe it should be down to JJ to feature whatever he likes in his movies and then up to the audience to form a view.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
I don't recall torture ever featuring in any incarnation of the show in the context of it being justifiable so I don't see what the panic is about....

....however, filmaking is are, not political statement and since I believe in the priciple of free speech I believe it should be down to JJ to feature whatever he likes in his movies and then up to the audience to form a view.
That might be true in another film, but since Trek has a message and ethic JJ needs to observe that. what he has done to date does not inspire confidence since the majority of his action/drama features apologetic torture.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 AM
Ensign

If Abrams/Oric/Kutzmann intend to use toture they should stick with it. Regardless of the way it is presented. We saw both - justification and condemnation - in Star Trek. The clear mesage and ethic of Trek is long gone. Starting with DS9.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Midshipman

From what I've seen in Lost, MI or Alias, torture was never justified or glorified. I don't see how it may be a concern in new Trek movie.

The characters in Abrams series are extremely flawed personalities with their own inner demons. It doesn't go exactly hand in hand with the Star Trek format, so I doubt we'll see much of it in the new movie.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 AM
Ensign

Default disagree

watch the video clips from alias and lost on the site and you will see what i mean
Closed Thread