The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Trekkies Against Torture
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Ensign

Post Trekkies Against Torture

I am sure many of you have already heard, but there is a website for Trek fans concerned with protecting the ethics and message of Star Trek. Hundreds have already signed an Open Letter to J.J. Abrams asking him to confirm that he will not feature the glorification or "justification" of torture in Star Trek XI, as he has done repeatedly in his other projects.

Please look at the site and the video clips there: http://trekkies.againsttorture.com to understand the issue completely.

Remember, this is NOT objecting to the depiction of torture in Star Trek (as in TNG: Chain of Command) but to the JUSTIFICATION - when the heroes of a story use and defend torture.

This is a larger issue for our society as we have seen politicians in recent times citing scenes from shows like "24" to advocate for the use of water boarding and other forms of torture. The populace is deeply affected by such art and it creates the real yet incorrect notion that torture is viable, practical and effective. It is not, as experts from all political viewpoints agree. Furthermore, the "ticking time bomb" scenario is something that happens only "in the movies" but when those movies are used to advocate policy - a disturbing line is crossed.

J.J. Abrams has contributed to this problem in Alias, Lost and Mission Impossible: III. We question whether he is the right person to be in charge of Star Trek, a show with a decidedly pro-human rights message. Rather than wait until after the movie is released, we are merely asking Abrams to state now to the fans that he has no plans to use torture in this manner in Star Trek.

Please support this action and help preserve the values and message of Star Trek - the reason it has endured over 40 years.

Thanks!

Trekkies Against Torture

ps - debates over this have often been lively and interesting, but comments citing examples of where torture has already been depicted in Star Trek miss the point entirely. Please really READ the message on the site before doing so - remember this is opposed to the "justification" of torture, not an attempt to remove any aspects of violence from the film.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Lieutenant

So I take it you're not a fan of the SAW movies?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Ensign

Default saw?

The SAW movies are not really a factor as much as I know about them. While I realize they are brutal, they are not suggesting that "good" or ethical or even representatives of our government should employ torture as an effective means of getting information. While we are aware the CIA in fact, does torture people - showing that torture in a context which raises clear questions about its effectiveness in a way that reflects reality to a certain degree - like the movie Rendition, is very different.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Ensign

@ paulpaz: I think this is a worthy effort. Signed the partition and will see that your website will be mentioned in the German eScope! and DailyTrek Weekend newsletters. It's important, that fans make it crystal clear, that "Star Trek" has to return to it's humanistic core vs. the stuff that we were subjected to by third season's "Star Trek: Enterprise" or "Nemesis"

TrekWar (International), Star Trek: The Journey (German)
Old 01-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Lieutenant

while i am unequivocly against torture in all its forms, i think i have to say its probably not going to be an issue in this film. One of the things that has become most abundently clear in star trek is that the future is a utopian society on earth where war no longer exists. Given Abrams' comments concerning staying true to the scope of trek, I highly doubt he would show any Federation Starfleet member employing such tactics.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Midshipman

doesn't really matter to me if there's torture or not. if it's part of the story that they are trying to tell, then it should be included. if torture is needed for a positive outcome for our heroes, and it's essential to the story that's being told, then I say leave it in. Star Trek has had lots of examples of torture in the past. Trying to hide our heads in the sand now is just silly and not really in the true spirit of Star Trek in all its forms. If there isn't torture, no biggie. But if there's some sort of turture planned for the film, then I do hope your campaign fails.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Ensign

It seems to be a silly thing to worry about. I don't see why they'd have anyone using torture in the film and justify it. We never saw thaat on TOS. That would be noncanon.

FYI, I'm Jack Bauer at Trek BBS.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJamesTKirk View Post
It seems to be a silly thing to worry about. I don't see why they'd have anyone using torture in the film and justify it. We never saw thaat on TOS. That would be noncanon.
Never saw torture in TOS ???

Did you miss the Mirror Mirror episode ?

Anyway , i agree with Kai that if it's part of the story it should be in the film

Try to tell the TNG story "Chain of Command" without torture and youd get a nothing story becuse youd miss Patrick Stewarts great performance

"Once you're inside , you will never want to leave"
Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJamesTKirk View Post
We've seen lots of instances of torture in TOS. What are you talking about?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Midshipman

This is a silly campaign. Torture was used in TOS, so if we do see any in this movie I suspect it'll be in that vein.
Closed Thread