The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The little things in life.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Lieutenant

Default The little things in life.

You know after all the nitpicking going on here and other places on this series of tubes we call "internet(s)". I thought I'd join in the fun!!! I've been thinking, since I heard the Red Alert sound in the trailer what if that's the only sound they keep from the series. What if they changed the phaser sound, the door swoosh, the warp sound, the ambient bridge noise, the photon torpedos, the sensors...would it really get people mad, irritated or even "have there childhood's raped" if this happened? Thinking about it, it might annoy me a little because I love those sounds so much, among other things about Trek the sound effects really separated the franchise from other Sci-Fi franchises. But if they change it, they change it. It will in no way whatsoever affect my excitement for seeing this movie. Let's let the opinions role....
Old 11-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Lieutenant

I hope they got rid of the ambient bridge noise. That always irritated me. An updated phaser noise might not be a bad thing, but I do hope they kept the door swoosh, the transporter noise and the jump-to-warp noise. I loved it that we could hear the old Red Alert klaxon going off in the background in the trailer.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Lieutenant

I guess the bridge ambience did sound like a medical ward where they sent patients to die. Yeah, no bridge ambience.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Vice Admiral

I hope they kept the original sounds, or TNG like sounds. If the sounds are new for the movie I want them to be recognizable.

I like the ambient bridge noise. I like the "thrum--thrum--thrum" sound in egineering too!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I hope they kept the original sounds, or TNG like sounds. If the sounds are new for the movie I want them to be recognizable.

I like the ambient bridge noise. I like the "thrum--thrum--thrum" sound in egineering too!
Mhmm. The thrumming in TNG was my favorite part about the engineering section. As long as the sounds aren't too far off. A modification to the sounds but keeping with a few things. That would probably be perfect.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG_Trekman View Post
Mhmm. The thrumming in TNG was my favorite part about the engineering section. As long as the sounds aren't too far off. A modification to the sounds but keeping with a few things. That would probably be perfect.
You know i think that the Enterprise D was all about gentle ambiance noise. Jeez i dont think i would of lasted 1 minute before i fell asleep from the noise.

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Fleet Admiral

Orci or someone confirmed in an interview LONG ago that they were using the SWOOSH sound for the doors. I don't recall if he was more specific about other sounds than that. Though I'm guessing the transportation sound will be the same.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Commander

It's obvious they haven't changed the sound of the transporter, so there's at least two for you. The beginning horn tympany will apparrently be used. I guess we'll know opening night if any of the rest remain. Even if they're all intact, I hope that sounds aren't the only nod made by this film, to the Star Trek of the past.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Captain

As anamoured as I am of the original sounds of TOS, I realize that some of them will definitely be changed to suit the modern look and faster pace of the film. I want some kind of bridge ambience because it added to the overall feel of the set. I don't like things that are too quiet. I have white noise machines all over my home and my office for that reason.

BTW, why are we talking about TNG sound effects when this is supposed to be over 100 years earlier?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
As anamoured as I am of the original sounds of TOS, I realize that some of them will definitely be changed to suit the modern look and faster pace of the film. I want some kind of bridge ambience because it added to the overall feel of the set. I don't like things that are too quiet. I have white noise machines all over my home and my office for that reason.

BTW, why are we talking about TNG sound effects when this is supposed to be over 100 years earlier?
I mentioned TNG sounds just because I like them. I also think, being that this movie is a modern "reinterpretation", it would use more modern sounds similar to TNG. Of course I didn't explain any of this in my earlier post