The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "darkness and silence..."
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Ronald Moore of DS9 fame.
No ****? Maybe he should have done it with one of the thousands of Defiant/Dominion Ship battles that he had!!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Was it just me, or did anyone else notice a distinct lack of sounds in space during the trailer? Could just be an editing thing that's confined to the trailer, but it'd be a fascinating move if they decided to opt for scientific realism by turning down the volume in nature's vacuum.
It would be fascinating to see. It seemed to work for Firefly well (until it was cancelled, but still). Even the new Battlestar dulls the sound a bit during the space scenes, making it kinda feel like you're under water (at least that's my opinion). But in terms of overall excitement for this new Star Trek movie, I think it would have a reverse effect if they were to do that in the movie. Even though it's "non-realistic" it's a hell of a lot more fun and exciting for there to be sound. ex. imagine in Star Wars: RotJ when the Falcon is flying into the Deathstar and being chased by the explosion when blasting out. Then of course having it blow up. Or the battle to re-take DS9 in Trek. Imagine all that with no sound. Big explosions in space call for big sounds to get the audience's excitement level higher. And since this movie's trying to draw a new audience to Trek, it would be unwise to hold back on any excitement JJ and gang have planned for them and us avid fans.

p.s man did I ever use "excitement" or "exciting" a lot.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Federation Councillor

I think there will be sound, just that the trailer's music etc took precedence for the trailer.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG_Trekman View Post
It would be fascinating to see. It seemed to work for Firefly well (until it was cancelled, but still). Even the new Battlestar dulls the sound a bit during the space scenes, making it kinda feel like you're under water (at least that's my opinion). But in terms of overall excitement for this new Star Trek movie, I think it would have a reverse effect if they were to do that in the movie. Even though it's "non-realistic" it's a hell of a lot more fun and exciting for there to be sound. ex. imagine in Star Wars: RotJ when the Falcon is flying into the Deathstar and being chased by the explosion when blasting out. Then of course having it blow up. Or the battle to re-take DS9 in Trek. Imagine all that with no sound. Big explosions in space call for big sounds to get the audience's excitement level higher. And since this movie's trying to draw a new audience to Trek, it would be unwise to hold back on any excitement JJ and gang have planned for them and us avid fans.

p.s man did I ever use "excitement" or "exciting" a lot.
Well said, TNG, well said!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Late to the game on this one...but.....(and if anyone else has mentioned this before hand, I apologize for echoing)...if you'll recall, in a couple of the TOS episodes, there was no sound in space, even when the Enterprise fired phasers or photons.....the music empasized the shots being fired....a cinematic trick that was later used in a straight to video movie called RobotJox. When the mechs were in space, fighting, orchestral hits would symbolize weapons fire in a vaccuum.

Of course, in the case of TOS, it could simply have been a matter of no budget for lots of SFX at the time....but I prefer to think that they actually gunned for a wee bit o' realism in the early episodes when it came to sound in space.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Admiral

Indeed, no one's mentioned it martok! If you remember the episodes, list them, I'd definitely like to check those out!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Lieutenant

Balance of Terror is the big one that I can think of right off to the top of my head. That's why they didn't change the visual in the TOS-R version, because the musical score was linked to the visual of the weapon firing.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Captain

Does anyone remember the dogfight between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jango Fett in Attack of The Clones? When Fett used these sonic mines and the sound they made was an electric guitar? Everything was completely silent until the charges exploded and Jimmy Hendrix rocked the house. Now dont tell me silent space doesnt work on the big screen.

Last edited by Botany Bay : 11-17-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botany Bay View Post
Does anyone remember the dogfight between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jango Fett in Attack of The Clones? When Fett used thes sonic mines and the sound they made was an electric guitar? Everything was completely silent until the charges exploded and Jimmy Hendrix rocked the house. Now dont tell me silent space doesnt work on the big screen.
That's a terrific example, BB, for the emphasizing use of the "silence before the storm". While one can debate the story qualities of SW, its space feeling is surely no wrong thing to introduce for Trek.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Captain

That's a great example...i frogot about that scene. And I remember tensing up right before the big soundwave came, so the excitement was definitely there!

I didn't realize TOS had tied in a score.....I'll have to pop in BOT and take a look....

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.