The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "darkness and silence..."
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Admiral

I would like to see a space battle silent in a movie some day, I can't think of one that's done it yet. Massive spaceships exploding in all over the screen in silence and then cutting inside and hearing all the chaos. That could be one hell of a visceral experience, but I don't think it would be right for Trek.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Commander

Interesting range of views coming out in this thread

I'm thinking about it, and a silent approach could just work: for grand, sweeping shots of the ship or planets, you'd have the music to create atmosphere. For combat, you'd have a lot of footage from onboard each ship, and as Livingston has said that'd create a stark contrast to the silence outside. Also, presumably there'd be a rush of sound as soon as the 'camera' was enveloped by the expanding gasses of an explosion...

It's all just pure speculation on my part, of course. It'd be neat if the new movie challenged one of the older conventions of big-screen sci fi, but then again there's no solid reason why they should deviate from something that's basically a convention of the genre. 2001: A Space Odyssey shows the potential that's there, though.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I would like to see a space battle silent in a movie some day, I can't think of one that's done it yet. Massive spaceships exploding in all over the screen in silence and then cutting inside and hearing all the chaos. That could be one hell of a visceral experience, but I don't think it would be right for Trek.
Do you know how that could have worked? As an episode in one of the series...like a crew member floating around in his spacesuit after he had to abandon his shuttle, and watching his ship and the enemy ship fight it out right in front of him (well not right in front of him, but you know what I mean).

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Yeah, 2001 was the movie I was thinking of, it's the only one I know that had done that, perfectly silent scenes in space.

There was this scene in the new Battlestar Galactica where these two massive ships are engaged in battle and one of Galactica's pilots ejected and he's in his space suit, floating in space and what a view the guy has. They subdued the sound a great deal and let music carry it. If something exploded, you'd hear a distant rumble but the effect was electric, it had a great feel to it, so it'd be nice to see someone take the leap and cut the sound in space.

Beside, in space no one can hear you... yeah you guys know the rest!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Lieutenant

you could always get the dvd later and hit mute for the full experience
Old 11-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
Or wear earplugs in the theater.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
Do you know how that could have worked? As an episode in one of the series...like a crew member floating around in his spacesuit after he had to abandon his shuttle, and watching his ship and the enemy ship fight it out right in front of him (well not right in front of him, but you know what I mean).
Weird Damage, that's close to the scenario in that BSG episode. It was effective.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
There was this scene in the new Battlestar Galactica where these two massive ships are engaged in battle and one of Galactica's pilots ejected and he's in his space suit, floating in space and what a view the guy has. They subdued the sound a great deal and let music carry it. If something exploded, you'd hear a distant rumble but the effect was electric, it had a great feel to it, so it'd be nice to see someone take the leap and cut the sound in space.

Beside, in space no one can hear you... yeah you guys know the rest!
That sounds REALLY cool...kudos to the writer/director/producer who did that episode!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
You may have meant that as a joke, but it's not a bad idea...I'm going to throw in TWOK or Nemesis (2 Trek movies with some good battle scenes) and mute those scenes....

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
That sounds REALLY cool...kudos to the writer/director/producer who did that episode!
Ronald Moore of DS9 fame.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Weird Damage, that's close to the scenario in that BSG episode. It was effective.
Remember, I haven't seen any of the new BSG...waiting for my brother (who LOVED the series) to buy it so I can start from the beginning (I'm anal like that). Maybe I could write for the show...or not, as it appears I am a VERY slow typer...LOL