The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Success both with Trekkies and with the mainstream?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Commander

Default Success both with Trekkies and with the mainstream?

Ok, so that's the question: Can this movie be a success with both Trekkies and the mainstream? If so, how so? If not, why not? What are your thoughts?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Ensign

Cool

I think it could do very well. I don't really know how else to say it, though, but they might have to dumb it down a bit. Not in terms of the story or the depth, but some of the Trek lingo is hard to follow for some. That's a big reason my friends don't watch it; It's hard for them to figure out what's going on with the ship, or what alien people or technology is threatening the crew.

When I watch the show, I can follow along just fine; I understand more of the science on Star Trek than anything I've learned in actual science courses. But I think that would be the only roadblock; Everything else would entertain everyone, I feel.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think JJ & Co are really trying to get around these roadblocks and if they are successful in their marketing (I'm sure they will be as they have the $$), I think all of the roadblocks will be averted except one: people nowadays view Star Trek as too nerdy. I think this will keep it from being one of the year's top grossing movies.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I think it could do very well. I don't really know how else to say it, though, but they might have to dumb it down a bit. Not in terms of the story or the depth, but some of the Trek lingo is hard to follow for some. That's a big reason my friends don't watch it; It's hard for them to figure out what's going on with the ship, or what alien people or technology is threatening the crew.

When I watch the show, I can follow along just fine; I understand more of the science on Star Trek than anything I've learned in actual science courses. But I think that would be the only roadblock; Everything else would entertain everyone, I feel.
If Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman are really as big a group of fans as they say they are, and they've really done their homework, this won't be a problem. The terminology during the TOS years was such that by the end of the episode, Joe Sixpack could understand that warp drive made the ship go fast, phasers were futuristic guns, and Mr. Spock was an alien. And that's all he needed to know, because this week's problems would be solved by our heroes' keen intellects (occasionally with assistance from their weapons and fists), not by channeling the Particle of the Week through the deflector dish.

As long as the writers lay off the technobabble, the mainstream audience won't have any more problem picking up on Star Trek's terminology than they had understanding lightsabers and hyperdrive.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Bigglesworth View Post
If Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman are really as big a group of fans as they say they are...

As long as the writers lay off the technobabble, the mainstream audience won't have any more problem picking up on Star Trek's terminology than they had understanding lightsabers and hyperdrive.
Well, your first sentence would cover your last paragraph. TOS was rarely ever about technobabble. And TOS' tech related story elements are (as you indicated) easy enough to follow.

I'll be relatively happy if I don't hear the words/terms "remodulate the _______", "Fire a _______ burst from the main deflector", "...use a ______ particle beam/burst to..." or any of the many other technobabble sentences used in later series.

If they are as big a set of fans as claimed, they understand that how the crew, both as individuals, and together as a team; dealt with problems, is what was at the core of TOS. The Kirk/Spock/McCoy interplay, or the quiet not needing technobabble excellence and efficiency of the rest of the crew in TOS shows that. TOS was the exploration of "The Human Condition" in numerous ways.

To me, that's part of the reason why so many people identify with it, and especially with Kirk, Spock and McCoy, who make up all of the major components of a human psyche; flaws, strengths, weaknesses, emotions, fears, logic and all.

Just my thoughts though... others may have gotten something else out of TOS, and they are no less wrong... I'm hoping that's what Abrams and crew saw in TOS though.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Rear Admiral

So, we already have Trekkers, and Trekkie's.

What would the new fan base be called, since we all have to be labeled.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Ensign

I hope the movie has far more success with the mainstream than self-styled Trekkies and/or Trekkers.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Commander

Look at ST FC and STIV (what a surprise time travels) and you know how a Star Trek movie can be a success for Trekkies and meanstream.

Quote:
Tell me one single Star Trek movie that was hard to follow? I even would say Star Trek movies were up to the present more simple to understand than a lot of other movies. From the beginning on you know who is the enemy, who are the heroes and what is the danger ... and this will stay like that until the end of the film. There were only few big surprises, only few storyturns in Star Trek movies.
Lost is a lot more difficult to follow, Lord of the Rings was a lot more complex, but both Lost and LotR were successful. Complex story =/= no success.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 02-05-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Commander

I think you can have just a little bit of techo-babble, it would be ok, as long as there is a simple explanation. Medical dramas have medical-babble, but they are still successful. I think a good twist (like Lt. Valeris in Star Trek VI, referenced by TheTrekkie above) would actually be a good element.

The unfortunate truth is that Star Trek does have a reputation for being geeky. But a lot of that also come from people who dedicate their lives to watching Star Trek and look for all the inconsistencies and then point them out. For those of you that do that, I kindly ask that you restrain yourself while in the theatre. Just let people enjoy the film while watching it... especially Trek newbies. Come here to the forum and voice your complaints, don't yell out how a line of dialogue contradicts something said in Episode 47. Not only does it show obsessiveness on your part, it's also just annoying having people talking during a movie.

I also say this as kindly and compassionately as possible: wearing a costume to a movie is seen as weird, creepy and unacceptable by the mainstream. If you want Star Trek to be a huge box office success and to be re-energized, please dress normally to go the theatre. Wait for the DVD to come out to have your Star Trek costume party.

What I am saying is if we keep our eccentric behavior in check, it will help Star Trek.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Lieutenant

Read this.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/02/05/abra...uel/#more-1534