The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Font...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Federation Councillor

Whatever the terminology, it looks great at the end of the trailer, and perfectly suited to recapturing the Star Trek feel. I hope they continue to use it.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBlue98 View Post

Oh, and a minor nitpick if I may…

When talking about how a particular piece of text looks and feels—the way it’s designed, the term to use is, “typeface.” A “font” is the means by which the text is created, so for instance, one can purchase rubber stamps that produce letters in the Helvetica or Times typefaces, but the stamps themselves are the fonts.
Actually we are using the term Font correctly. Font means a specific style of letters using specific arangement, i.e. trek TOS regular, trek TOS bold, trek TOS italic, trek TOS bold italic etc. . A typeface is the entire series of a specific font, so since the new title is just trek TOS bold italic, it is a font, from a typeface family of trek TOS fonts. And even if they change it, its still a new font style again from a typeface family of fonts. Just to nitpick! When you look at the title, you can say thats from the trek TOS typeface set but its the trek bold italic font...

Regardless of what people want to call it... It looks like the trek TOS font is the official title font as you can download it as wallpaper now from the revised new site. Im thinking the other font we've seen in the trailers could be the font they use for all the other credits, starring Chris Pine etc.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
So when you go into your preferred text editor, and it says ''fonts'' and lests one select from Times New Roman and Federation Bold, that is wrong?
Technically, both yes and no. Listing “fonts” in a text editor is wrong in that you’re selecting the look and feel (the “typeface”) that you want to give your text, but it’s correct in that you're also selecting (albeit indirectly) the file that contains the instructions (the “font”) to generate the text with the look and feel you selected.

For this reason, the words “font” and “typeface” are often considered interchangeable when dealing with text editing, but in the case of logotype, ship registries, book printing, signage, et cetera, it does make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8pdx View Post
Actually we are using the term Font correctly. Font means a specific style of letters using specific arangement, i.e. trek TOS regular, trek TOS bold, trek TOS italic, trek TOS bold italic etc. . A typeface is the entire series of a specific font, so since the new title is just trek TOS bold italic, it is a font, from a typeface family of trek TOS fonts. And even if they change it, its still a new font style again from a typeface family of fonts. Just to nitpick! When you look at the title, you can say thats from the trek TOS typeface set but its the trek bold italic font...
Yeah; I've heard that definition, also. Of course, especially in computers, since there's one file for the regular typeface and another file for the italic (and/or oblique) and another for the bold et cetera, it’s pretty much moot. I would accept both definitions. I think the important part, however, is that when talking about the design of the text, the word is, “typeface.”

Wikipedia has a great article on typefaces and a great article on fonts, which one can read in-depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8pdx View Post
Regardless of what people want to call it... It looks like the trek TOS font is the official title font as you can download it as wallpaper now from the revised new site. Im thinking the other font we've seen in the trailers could be the font they use for all the other credits, starring Chris Pine etc.
This, actually, I noticed in the original poster revealed all those months ago, but there has been a slight change made to the logotype: the “E” in “TREK” has been changed so that the end of the center stroke is out of line with the rest of the character.

Last edited by AJBlue98 : 11-17-2008 at 10:50 PM.