The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Glass Viewscreen Bridge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSalon View Post
Okay, I know I've been a proponent of unrelenting support for the movie and design, but to be honest, i don't like the top and bottom warp nacelles on the Kelvin.

I know, you're asking yourselves, why? They look like, umm... well--battery powered, carnal trinkets. If you get my meaning. Sure I can live with it, but I can't get the image out of my mind. Am I bad!
Absolutely not Ron. It's just new blood in the Trek universe. You're a fair minded chap. I think you'll grow to enjoy the design....
Old 11-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8pdx View Post
yeah, but they never upheld that story (canon) after Scotty gave away the technology in 1986, since the windows tend to break like glass (example: Generations)... transparent aluminum wouldn't shatter. We'll just call it "The Window" from now on...
It is also mentioned in the TNG episode "In Theory" as well, a subspace anomaly alters the transparent aluminum in the observation lounge creating a hull breach.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Except, I think it's going to be a mix: a 'viewport' to see ahead from the bridge, and than a heads-up display 'viewscreen' overlay to display communication images, charts, data, etc. Similar to how LCD can make glass either clear like a window or opaque -- imagine an LCD or plasma monitor which can display an image, but when uncharged is transparent.

That would be an advance in technology from the Kelvin to the E -- not one or the other, but both features! I think that's how the future would do it.
That's what I'm thinking. A basic window, when nothing's being displayed on the screen in front of it, but a fully-functioning viewscreen when the computer display is turned on, capable of showing a view from any of the sensors on the ship's hull. It makes more sense than having just one or the other, anyway.

This thread reminds me of Zapp Brannigan's "activate glass window!" command from Futurama...

Old 11-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBLUE
“…engines must always come in pairs. (I have heard that odd-number nacelle designs are allowed because each nacelle would house two warp coils, thus itself being its own pair, however the dual-coil housing design began only in TNG—then again, in JJ's Starfleet, who knows what ‘details’ are being ‘re-cannonized).’

“The other three rules were that (a) engines must have an unobstructed view forward, (b) engines must have at least 50% line-of-sight with each other across the hull, and (c) a ship's bridge is always located at the top of the ship's primary hull. See The Star Trek database at shipschematics.net.”

Rule B, about 50% line of sight. Does this include TNG era ships? The DSN Defiant had 0% line of sight, as the warp nacells were built INTO the hull on the sides. Also, the Sidney class had nacells on the sides, but the main hull completely blocked line of sight.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triblfied View Post
I think is has a "cockpit" of sorts because it is indeeed, an older ship. This would also not really go against canon in that the federation never saw what Romulans look like. This could be a genuine way of explaining that. If you don't have a "viewscreen" there is no way that you can speak face to face with an opponent.
ENT had viewscreens on the NX-01, so your "viewscreen" theory wouldn't work here...but good thought! And I know (as I have been a part of them) that there are MANY debates on this forum regarding ENT/Romulans/BOT/& Viewscreens.

As for the Kelvin, I did not like the ship the first time I saw it (the pic from the EW mag)...it looked like a giant eyeball! But after seeing the trailer, and the nice still shot that dv8pdx posted, I have to say that it is a cool looking ship!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen View Post
Rule B, about 50% line of sight. Does this include TNG era ships? The DSN Defiant had 0% line of sight, as the warp nacells were built INTO the hull on the sides. Also, the Sidney class had nacells on the sides, but the main hull completely blocked line of sight.
Um, just off the top of my head, I’d say that the line-of-sight rule would have the same loophole as the “engines must always come in pairs” rule: if a single nacelle houses a pair of warp coils, then they automatically have 100% line-of-sight on each other inside the nacelle. I don't think each pair would have to have line-of-sight on the other pair.

How’d I do?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBlue98 View Post
Um, just off the top of my head, I’d say that the line-of-sight rule would have the same loophole as the “engines must always come in pairs” rule: if a single nacelle houses a pair of warp coils, then they automatically have 100% line-of-sight on each other inside the nacelle. I don't think each pair would have to have line-of-sight on the other pair.

How’d I do?
True. I was rackingmy brain trying to think of any ships shown that have only one nacell, both Feneration and non-Federation...can't think of any...
Old 11-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Lieutenant

There were a few in Voyager, and tons and tons of alien ships of the week didn't have any visible form of FTL propulsion at all.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Commander

Some of the early Vulcan ships had a single giant 'ring' generator, didn't they?
Then there's the Klingon bird of prey, which apparently has a single engine in its tail.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Ensign

What if the deflector works in tantrum with the 1 warp nacell?

Though its not a true dual system, the deflector could also generate a warp field to go with the bottom one, thus full 100% warpfield?

Just throwing an idea out there.